RE: [SCA-Archery] List Question

  • Guy Taylor
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 12, 2005
      To tell the truth, Carolus... I'd participate in that list if they could
      straighten out my account.

      I can receive messages on it but not reply to any of them. The auto reply
      critter says I'm not a member and cannot reply to list messages, despite
      that I get the list messages and must be a member to do so. Messages to the
      Caid email guru that runs the lists went unanswered and the problem unfixed.

      I thought I'd just go ahead and subscribe to the list. No luck there, it
      didn't work. Messages to the Caid email guru that runs the lists went
      unanswered and the problem unfixed.

      So I tried unsubscribing, no love. Messages to the Caid email guru that
      runs the lists went unanswered and the problem unfixed.

      Next I sent a polite letter to the lists minister (above mentioned guru)
      asking him to look into it. No love, no fix.

      Then I tried a blistering letter. No love, no fix.

      I've finally reached a point where I chalk the experience up to SCA
      volunteers not caring how well they do the job they volunteer for and I
      ignore messages coming from the list. But I've gotta be honest, every
      message that I receive but cannot reply to just irritates me that much more.

      Guy, infrequent participant

    • Robert Lauderdale
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 13, 2005
        At 11:35 PM 9/12/05 -0700, you wrote:
        >To tell the truth, Carolus... I'd participate in that list if they could
        >straighten out my account.

        You, like I, use att.net. While you think your address
        is <name>@..., it goes out from att with the full format of
        <name>@.... Perhaps, like with Yahoo, you have to
        set up your account to recognize both forms of the address, and maybe
        <name>@... also.

        Chidiock
      • Carolus von Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 13, 2005
          Guy,
          I've contacted the web minister at the last known address I have for
          him. It is possible that with the other problems you have had your
          messages to him didn't get through.
          Carolus

          At 11:35 PM 9/12/2005, you wrote:

          >To tell the truth, Carolus... I'd participate in that list if they could
          >straighten out my account.
          >
          >I can receive messages on it but not reply to any of them. The auto reply
          >critter says I'm not a member and cannot reply to list messages, despite
          >that I get the list messages and must be a member to do so. Messages to the
          >Caid email guru that runs the lists went unanswered and the problem unfixed.
          >
          >I thought I'd just go ahead and subscribe to the list. No luck there, it
          >didn't work. Messages to the Caid email guru that runs the lists went
          >unanswered and the problem unfixed.
          >
          >So I tried unsubscribing, no love. Messages to the Caid email guru that
          >runs the lists went unanswered and the problem unfixed.
          >
          >Next I sent a polite letter to the lists minister (above mentioned guru)
          >asking him to look into it. No love, no fix.
          >
          >Then I tried a blistering letter. No love, no fix.
          >
          >I've finally reached a point where I chalk the experience up to SCA
          >volunteers not caring how well they do the job they volunteer for and I
          >ignore messages coming from the list. But I've gotta be honest, every
          >message that I receive but cannot reply to just irritates me that much more.
          >
          >Guy, infrequent participant

        • Guy Taylor
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 13, 2005
            Thanks for the suggestion, I already tried that and got the same results.

            Guy

          • Guy Taylor
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 13, 2005
              Thank you, sir. I know you looked into this once before and I think the web
              minister told you he had fixed it. When I didn't see a fix on my side I
              pursued the normal avenues and then gave up. You've got enough to do
              without me griping about something that's not your responsibility.

              Guy

              Ps... We've got another bow building get-together next Sunday, are ye
              available?

            • Carolus von Eulenhorst
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 13, 2005
                Not a problem. I am technically a deputy to the web minister so this
                is the least I can do to help. We have changed servers so there may
                be something there.

                It would be Sunday. This is my last chance to get a new helm
                finished so I can fight at GWW. Have to be next time.

                BTW I just sent a countess and viscount to you for arrows. Do you
                have a web site yet?

                Carolus

                At 12:27 AM 9/13/2005, you wrote:

                >Thank you, sir. I know you looked into this once before and I think the web
                >minister told you he had fixed it. When I didn't see a fix on my side I
                >pursued the normal avenues and then gave up. You've got enough to do
                >without me griping about something that's not your responsibility.
                >
                >Guy
                >
                >Ps... We've got another bow building get-together next Sunday, are ye
                >available?

              • Brian Matthews
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 13, 2005
                  What do you expect, They are , like , TOTALLY from So Cal, like, they
                  cant help but talk more than the rest of us, its genetics!
                  (ducking for cover) ;->
                  Steven Casort wrote:

                  >This may seem like a silly question but:
                  >
                  >Is this the CAIDIAN archery list or the SCA archery list?

                • Ingilborg Sigmundardottir
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 13, 2005
                    Heh..it's not just you, Lord Taillear. I tried the same interventions
                    re the Caidan target archery group a couple of months ago and got the
                    same results--nothing nada zilch--and gave up too.

                    I'm sure not alone i this complaint---so this is why I decided to put
                    up a BB for the Strongbow household. I've had about 2-3 Caidan target
                    archers use it. It's used far more by the combat archers, whom
                    apparently are more talky anyhow.

                    <www.argentlupus.com> and click on the "House Strongbow Forums". Feel
                    free to get topics going as you please.

                    In Service,

                    Ingilborg sigmundardottir
                    "Beware ulven, hun bjeffer ikke."
                    "Beware the wolf, she doesn't need to bark."
                    Semidomesticus.

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Guy Taylor" <greytaylor@a...>
                    wrote:
                    > Thank you, sir. I know you looked into this once before and I
                    think the web
                    > minister told you he had fixed it. When I didn't see a fix on my
                    side I
                    > pursued the normal avenues and then gave up. You've got enough to
                    do
                    > without me griping about something that's not your responsibility.
                    >
                    > Guy
                    >
                    > Ps... We've got another bow building get-together next Sunday, are
                    ye
                    > available?

                  • Carolus von Eulenhorst
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 13, 2005
                      I have forward this information also. As it appears to be a more
                      common problem than I knew, I can start putting more pressure on to
                      get it fixed. It may be related to our server change and it could be
                      that our web minister also does not get the complaints.
                      Carolus

                    • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 13, 2005
                        At 2:48 PM 9/13/05 +0000, Ingilborg Sigmundardottir wrote:

                        >I'm sure not alone i this complaint---so this is why I decided to put
                        >up a BB for the Strongbow household. I've had about 2-3 Caidan target
                        >archers use it. It's used far more by the combat archers, whom
                        >apparently are more talky anyhow.

                        It is simply that us target folk are more used to being quiet behind the line.

                        ;-)

                        James
                        jotl@...