Skip to search.

Re: [SCA-Archery] Forester round

  • Carolus von Eulenhorst
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 8, 2005
      This is the way I remember it also.
      Carolus

      At 09:15 PM 9/8/2005, you wrote:

      >When I last shot in a Gyldenholt Anniversary shoot, each archer used three
      >arrows for each end. We shoot the match the same way to determine our
      >baronial champion in Naevehjem; we start at 20 yards, then move back in
      >5-yard increments until the finals (or until range limitations are
      >reached). Essently double elim with the winner of each pairing being the
      >one who shoots closest to center. We use the IKAC period division faces
      >(in black and white) that are roughly patterned after the Lutrel Psalter
      >target. Usually the archers alternate their shots. We went to it to avoid
      >using Royal Rounds - seems much more period in character, being "closest to
      >center" rather than FITA-type scoring; it's indeed a fast-paced competition
      >and of much more interest to spectators.
      >
      > James
      >jotl@...
      >

      >At 12:07 PM 9/8/05 -0700, Scott B. Jaqua wrote:
      >
      > >No I don't believe that's what they were looking for. The the SCA's
      > >Forester Round was created by Lord Craig of the Glen, in the Barony of
      > >Gyldenholt, Kingdom of Caid. It was first created for the baronial
      > >championship. It was then published in the short lived Caidan Archer
      > >Newsletter. And from there became wider spread throughout the known world.
      > >
      > >Note this is from an almost 18 year old memory, so I may not have the
      > >following details of the shoot exactly right...........
      > >
      > >The round is simply this. Archers are given arrows based on their
      > >ranking. A Bowmaster gets 1 arrow and Forester gets two and yeoman 3
      > >and so on. Two archers face off at five yards or an otherwise agreed
      > >starting point. Each archer must then strike the scoring area of the
      > >target face before running out of arrows. Arrows that miss the target
      > >are removed from the archers starting number. Arrows that hit the target
      > >or unshot arrows are retained by the archer. If both archers score a hit
      > >at that distance, then they back-up another five yards and try again. If
      > >neither archer hits the target at a given distance, then they repeat the
      > >prior distance. This is done until one archer has a hit at a given
      > >distance while the other archer is out of arrows.
      > >
      > >It's a fast shoot and is shot as a single or double elimination lists.
      > >
      > >Njall

      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      >--
    • michael d hornbaker
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 9, 2005
        We in Calontir have done a similar shoot with the exception that the
        60cm target size is a blank circle with only a 1/2 circle for dead
        center.

        Michael

      • Scott B. Jaqua
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 9, 2005
          Carolus von Eulenhorst wrote:

          >This is the way I remember it also.
          >Carolus
          >
          >At 09:15 PM 9/8/2005, you wrote:

          Like I said it was over and 18 year old memory. Perhaps I remembered
          wrong. But more likely the round has been changed since it's inception :)

          Njall
        • Carolus von Eulenhorst
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 9, 2005
            Very likely. I will include both versions in the new list of shoots
            I am compiling
            Carolus