Re: [SCA-Archery] Forester round

  • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 8, 2005
      When I last shot in a Gyldenholt Anniversary shoot, each archer used three
      arrows for each end. We shoot the match the same way to determine our
      baronial champion in Naevehjem; we start at 20 yards, then move back in
      5-yard increments until the finals (or until range limitations are
      reached). Essently double elim with the winner of each pairing being the
      one who shoots closest to center. We use the IKAC period division faces
      (in black and white) that are roughly patterned after the Lutrel Psalter
      target. Usually the archers alternate their shots. We went to it to avoid
      using Royal Rounds - seems much more period in character, being "closest to
      center" rather than FITA-type scoring; it's indeed a fast-paced competition
      and of much more interest to spectators.

      James
      jotl@...

      At 12:07 PM 9/8/05 -0700, Scott B. Jaqua wrote:

      >No I don't believe that's what they were looking for. The the SCA's
      >Forester Round was created by Lord Craig of the Glen, in the Barony of
      >Gyldenholt, Kingdom of Caid. It was first created for the baronial
      >championship. It was then published in the short lived Caidan Archer
      >Newsletter. And from there became wider spread throughout the known world.
      >
      >Note this is from an almost 18 year old memory, so I may not have the
      >following details of the shoot exactly right...........
      >
      >The round is simply this. Archers are given arrows based on their
      >ranking. A Bowmaster gets 1 arrow and Forester gets two and yeoman 3
      >and so on. Two archers face off at five yards or an otherwise agreed
      >starting point. Each archer must then strike the scoring area of the
      >target face before running out of arrows. Arrows that miss the target
      >are removed from the archers starting number. Arrows that hit the target
      >or unshot arrows are retained by the archer. If both archers score a hit
      >at that distance, then they back-up another five yards and try again. If
      >neither archer hits the target at a given distance, then they repeat the
      >prior distance. This is done until one archer has a hit at a given
      >distance while the other archer is out of arrows.
      >
      >It's a fast shoot and is shot as a single or double elimination lists.
      >
      >Njall
    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 8, 2005
        This is the way I remember it also.
        Carolus

        At 09:15 PM 9/8/2005, you wrote:

        >When I last shot in a Gyldenholt Anniversary shoot, each archer used three
        >arrows for each end. We shoot the match the same way to determine our
        >baronial champion in Naevehjem; we start at 20 yards, then move back in
        >5-yard increments until the finals (or until range limitations are
        >reached). Essently double elim with the winner of each pairing being the
        >one who shoots closest to center. We use the IKAC period division faces
        >(in black and white) that are roughly patterned after the Lutrel Psalter
        >target. Usually the archers alternate their shots. We went to it to avoid
        >using Royal Rounds - seems much more period in character, being "closest to
        >center" rather than FITA-type scoring; it's indeed a fast-paced competition
        >and of much more interest to spectators.
        >
        > James
        >jotl@...
        >

        >At 12:07 PM 9/8/05 -0700, Scott B. Jaqua wrote:
        >
        > >No I don't believe that's what they were looking for. The the SCA's
        > >Forester Round was created by Lord Craig of the Glen, in the Barony of
        > >Gyldenholt, Kingdom of Caid. It was first created for the baronial
        > >championship. It was then published in the short lived Caidan Archer
        > >Newsletter. And from there became wider spread throughout the known world.
        > >
        > >Note this is from an almost 18 year old memory, so I may not have the
        > >following details of the shoot exactly right...........
        > >
        > >The round is simply this. Archers are given arrows based on their
        > >ranking. A Bowmaster gets 1 arrow and Forester gets two and yeoman 3
        > >and so on. Two archers face off at five yards or an otherwise agreed
        > >starting point. Each archer must then strike the scoring area of the
        > >target face before running out of arrows. Arrows that miss the target
        > >are removed from the archers starting number. Arrows that hit the target
        > >or unshot arrows are retained by the archer. If both archers score a hit
        > >at that distance, then they back-up another five yards and try again. If
        > >neither archer hits the target at a given distance, then they repeat the
        > >prior distance. This is done until one archer has a hit at a given
        > >distance while the other archer is out of arrows.
        > >
        > >It's a fast shoot and is shot as a single or double elimination lists.
        > >
        > >Njall

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        >--
      • michael d hornbaker
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 9, 2005
          We in Calontir have done a similar shoot with the exception that the
          60cm target size is a blank circle with only a 1/2 circle for dead
          center.

          Michael

        • Scott B. Jaqua
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 9, 2005
            Carolus von Eulenhorst wrote:

            >This is the way I remember it also.
            >Carolus
            >
            >At 09:15 PM 9/8/2005, you wrote:

            Like I said it was over and 18 year old memory. Perhaps I remembered
            wrong. But more likely the round has been changed since it's inception :)

            Njall
          • Carolus von Eulenhorst
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 9, 2005
              Very likely. I will include both versions in the new list of shoots
              I am compiling
              Carolus