Forester round

  • misasai
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 8, 2005
      What is a forester round?
    • saintelmo.1@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 8, 2005
        Where are you seeing this referenced?

        -Demetrious

        > What is a forester round?

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Lord Caedmon Wilson
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 8, 2005
          On 9/8/05, misasai <Misasai@...> wrote:
          > What is a forester round?

          Never heard of it. But, with a quick google search, is this it?
          http://www.efaafieldarcher.com/efaa/rounds/the_forester_round.htm

          --
          Lord Caedmon Wilson

          Oaken Regional Youth Combat Marshal
          Crossbow Archery Champion, Barony Flaming Gryphon
          Rapier Champion, South Oaken Region
        • Scott B. Jaqua
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 8, 2005
            Lord Caedmon Wilson wrote:

            >On 9/8/05, misasai <Misasai@...> wrote:
            >

            >>What is a forester round?
            >>

            >Never heard of it. But, with a quick google search, is this it?
            >http://www.efaafieldarcher.com/efaa/rounds/the_forester_round.htm

            No I don't believe that's what they were looking for. The the SCA's
            Forester Round was created by Lord Craig of the Glen, in the Barony of
            Gyldenholt, Kingdom of Caid. It was first created for the baronial
            championship. It was then published in the short lived Caidan Archer
            Newsletter. And from there became wider spread throughout the known world.

            Note this is from an almost 18 year old memory, so I may not have the
            following details of the shoot exactly right...........

            The round is simply this. Archers are given arrows based on their
            ranking. A Bowmaster gets 1 arrow and Forester gets two and yeoman 3
            and so on. Two archers face off at five yards or an otherwise agreed
            starting point. Each archer must then strike the scoring area of the
            target face before running out of arrows. Arrows that miss the target
            are removed from the archers starting number. Arrows that hit the target
            or unshot arrows are retained by the archer. If both archers score a hit
            at that distance, then they back-up another five yards and try again. If
            neither archer hits the target at a given distance, then they repeat the
            prior distance. This is done until one archer has a hit at a given
            distance while the other archer is out of arrows.

            It's a fast shoot and is shot as a single or double elimination lists.

            Njall
          • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 8, 2005
              When I last shot in a Gyldenholt Anniversary shoot, each archer used three
              arrows for each end. We shoot the match the same way to determine our
              baronial champion in Naevehjem; we start at 20 yards, then move back in
              5-yard increments until the finals (or until range limitations are
              reached). Essently double elim with the winner of each pairing being the
              one who shoots closest to center. We use the IKAC period division faces
              (in black and white) that are roughly patterned after the Lutrel Psalter
              target. Usually the archers alternate their shots. We went to it to avoid
              using Royal Rounds - seems much more period in character, being "closest to
              center" rather than FITA-type scoring; it's indeed a fast-paced competition
              and of much more interest to spectators.

              James
              jotl@...

              At 12:07 PM 9/8/05 -0700, Scott B. Jaqua wrote:

              >No I don't believe that's what they were looking for. The the SCA's
              >Forester Round was created by Lord Craig of the Glen, in the Barony of
              >Gyldenholt, Kingdom of Caid. It was first created for the baronial
              >championship. It was then published in the short lived Caidan Archer
              >Newsletter. And from there became wider spread throughout the known world.
              >
              >Note this is from an almost 18 year old memory, so I may not have the
              >following details of the shoot exactly right...........
              >
              >The round is simply this. Archers are given arrows based on their
              >ranking. A Bowmaster gets 1 arrow and Forester gets two and yeoman 3
              >and so on. Two archers face off at five yards or an otherwise agreed
              >starting point. Each archer must then strike the scoring area of the
              >target face before running out of arrows. Arrows that miss the target
              >are removed from the archers starting number. Arrows that hit the target
              >or unshot arrows are retained by the archer. If both archers score a hit
              >at that distance, then they back-up another five yards and try again. If
              >neither archer hits the target at a given distance, then they repeat the
              >prior distance. This is done until one archer has a hit at a given
              >distance while the other archer is out of arrows.
              >
              >It's a fast shoot and is shot as a single or double elimination lists.
              >
              >Njall
            • Carolus von Eulenhorst
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 8, 2005
                This is the way I remember it also.
                Carolus

                At 09:15 PM 9/8/2005, you wrote:

                >When I last shot in a Gyldenholt Anniversary shoot, each archer used three
                >arrows for each end. We shoot the match the same way to determine our
                >baronial champion in Naevehjem; we start at 20 yards, then move back in
                >5-yard increments until the finals (or until range limitations are
                >reached). Essently double elim with the winner of each pairing being the
                >one who shoots closest to center. We use the IKAC period division faces
                >(in black and white) that are roughly patterned after the Lutrel Psalter
                >target. Usually the archers alternate their shots. We went to it to avoid
                >using Royal Rounds - seems much more period in character, being "closest to
                >center" rather than FITA-type scoring; it's indeed a fast-paced competition
                >and of much more interest to spectators.
                >
                > James
                >jotl@...
                >

                >At 12:07 PM 9/8/05 -0700, Scott B. Jaqua wrote:
                >
                > >No I don't believe that's what they were looking for. The the SCA's
                > >Forester Round was created by Lord Craig of the Glen, in the Barony of
                > >Gyldenholt, Kingdom of Caid. It was first created for the baronial
                > >championship. It was then published in the short lived Caidan Archer
                > >Newsletter. And from there became wider spread throughout the known world.
                > >
                > >Note this is from an almost 18 year old memory, so I may not have the
                > >following details of the shoot exactly right...........
                > >
                > >The round is simply this. Archers are given arrows based on their
                > >ranking. A Bowmaster gets 1 arrow and Forester gets two and yeoman 3
                > >and so on. Two archers face off at five yards or an otherwise agreed
                > >starting point. Each archer must then strike the scoring area of the
                > >target face before running out of arrows. Arrows that miss the target
                > >are removed from the archers starting number. Arrows that hit the target
                > >or unshot arrows are retained by the archer. If both archers score a hit
                > >at that distance, then they back-up another five yards and try again. If
                > >neither archer hits the target at a given distance, then they repeat the
                > >prior distance. This is done until one archer has a hit at a given
                > >distance while the other archer is out of arrows.
                > >
                > >It's a fast shoot and is shot as a single or double elimination lists.
                > >
                > >Njall

                >Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                >--
              • michael d hornbaker
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 9, 2005
                  We in Calontir have done a similar shoot with the exception that the
                  60cm target size is a blank circle with only a 1/2 circle for dead
                  center.

                  Michael

                • Scott B. Jaqua
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 9, 2005
                    Carolus von Eulenhorst wrote:

                    >This is the way I remember it also.
                    >Carolus
                    >
                    >At 09:15 PM 9/8/2005, you wrote:

                    Like I said it was over and 18 year old memory. Perhaps I remembered
                    wrong. But more likely the round has been changed since it's inception :)

                    Njall
                  • Carolus von Eulenhorst
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 9, 2005
                      Very likely. I will include both versions in the new list of shoots
                      I am compiling
                      Carolus