RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: Need help-primary sources for period shoots

  • Kristine M. Casper-Stillings
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
      I play this game all the time. It is fun and quite a challenge because the
      target is low to the ground and, as stated, at unmeasured distances.

      It isn't as hard to marshal as you would think, as the distances are usually
      not too long (how far can you throw a knot of rags with such little mass?)
      and shooting is at the ground, so over-flight distances are short. The
      range is set up somewhat like a bowling green, with a safety perimeter
      around the entire range. Spectators may only view from the two sides
      perpendicular to the shot directions (e.g., view from the west and east
      sides of the range and allow shooting only north and south).

      The difficulty is also that shooting is at the ground, so arrows tend to
      bury quite well into the turf - but everyone has just one arrow to keep
      track of and a good hook reduces the search time. Also, keep the target
      small - if you have a large target, the first arrow sticks and flips it over
      so the arrow shaft ends up on the on the ground opposite the shot direction.
      Subsequent hits will tend to flip the target over again, more often than not
      jamming the nock of the first arrow into the ground and snapping the shaft
      in two. Funny little phenomenon, but amazingly (and sadly) frequent.

      May the archery Goddess require few sacrifices from your quiver!

      Laebeth

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 7, 2005
        I would like to thank the people who responded to my initial inquiry
        regarding period archery target competition documentation: Michael,
        Shadhra, Padraig, Allan Bluehood, Caedmon, Kinjal, James Wolfden,
        Laebeth, Robert Runewald, and Charles Connor. My apologies for the
        delay in responding. I am now returned from the premier session of
        the Northshield Academy of Swordless Martial Arts (though it may be
        called something else next time, the equestrian community objects to
        the swordless part:)) and in a much saner frame of mind.

        I took note of the novelty competitions described and will keep them
        in mind when I sponsor a novelty shoot in the future. I also
        appreciate a quick source for interesting target faces.

        I look forward to checking out the books that people recommended
        (Payne-Galwey (Crossbows) and Chinese Archery). I am afraid I did not
        have sufficient time to peruse them before the event.

        I had previously explored the images in the Files folder, but did not
        observe closely enough to see the target on the right border of the
        xbows image. Thank you for (re)directing me to this.

        I expect that this is the beginning of a long-term project, once I get
        some other obligations out of the way.

        As always, this group is a wealth of support and information.

        Sol
        humble archer
        Barony of Jararvellir, Northshield