strings: japanese archery

  • John Mail
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2005
      I am looking for references on the correct historical string to make for my yumi. Any help would be appreciated.

      John Macandrew
      Lions Gate
    • Marko Peussa
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31, 2005
        Hello,

        Are you just looking for a hemp string for yumi or are you actually
        trying to make one?

        In the first case, you can buy them off the shelf. For example go to
        http://www.kyudo.com/asahiam-tsu.html

        In the latter case, Hoff's book has a chapter on strings, but there
        are no exact construction hints. What is clear, though, is that there
        were a multitude of string available. I guess it's pretty much either
        a.) go to Japan and find a stringmaker and learn or b.) try to
        improvise from the information in Hoff's book.

        Regards,

        Klaus