Japaneese Style Shooting

  • effexb
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 26, 2005
      Does any one know of a good refernce book or site that I could get
      instructions on how to shoot a yumi style bow in the traditional
      Japaneese style?

      Francios Belgraunde
    • Cian of Storvik
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 26, 2005
        Do a search on the internet for Kyudo groups in your area. From what I
        understand, learning Japanese Kyudo from a book is like learning how
        to drive by sitting in your living room and holding a dinner plate
        like a steering wheel.
        In the Wash D.C. area there is a group with a sensai that practices
        every weekend rain or shine. Classes (in this area) is only $200/year.
        They are a site to behold, with their 7' long bows and systematic
        motions.
        Also the bows and arrows are extreamly expensive. Arrows cost around
        $25 ea. (though they are more durable then normal target or most
        hunting arrows). But if you join a Kyodojo practice arrows should be
        supplied by the instructor.
        -Cian of Storvik
      • Marko Peussa
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 26, 2005
          You could try to find this book:

          'KYUDO The Way of the Bow', Felix Hoff, ISBN: 1-57062-852-1, published
          by Shambhala, www.shambhala.com. Should be available from Amazon.

          It's a pretty gook book of the Heki Ryu Insai Ha in english. Please be
          aware that this Ryu is not 'zen' or 'meditation' oriented at all.

          Also check out the excellent video describing the release:

          http://kyudo-erlangen.de/

          Go to 'Galerie' and then to 'Videos' and finally scroll down to
          'Hanare der Heki-Tô-Ryû'.

          Regards,

          Klaus

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "effexb" <EF-FEX.B@w...> wrote:
          > Does any one know of a good refernce book or site that I could get
          > instructions on how to shoot a yumi style bow in the traditional
          > Japaneese style?
          >
          > Francios Belgraunde
        • Keith Hood