Re: draw testing

  • Cian of Storvik
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2005
      The sternum to finger tip works okay if they draw to the chin. If you
      draw to the cheek or ear, you have to add distance.
      I have a 28.5" sternum to finger tip length, and even though I have a
      very closed stance, I have a 30" draw when I anchor my middle finger
      to my wisdom tooth (the back of the pile just touches my knuckle at
      full draw).
      New archers (and some old archers) play with different anchor points
      to find what is comfortable and automatically change their draw length
      in the process. I went back and forth between 28"-30" several times
      over the past year.
      Even though it's not optimal to have the tip of the arrow extending
      past your knuckle or the shelf, I often suggest that people use longer
      then optimal arrows until they settle on a form because:
      1)when you are new you tend to hit butt supports and break tips.
      Longer then necessary arrows can sometimes be retipped several times.
      This can be a big savings to a new archer.
      2)You can play with your anchor point AND open your stance without
      fear of overdrawing the arrow accidentally.

      No measurement will work for everyone. Some just have to experiment.

      One of the best archers in our local group (a consistant high 80's to
      low 90's RR scorer with recurve) I noticed the other week, has a draw
      length about 1.5" shorter then his arrows. But he is so consistant with
      his draw that he doesn't need the back of the pile to gauge his draw
      length.

      -Cian of Storvik

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Lord Antony" <ldantony@m...>
      wrote:
      > I have used the 'nock to the sternum' method before and it works
      well...
      > You can also have them 'draw' the arrow to their nocking point
      without their