About the Split

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2005
      Following the grain . . . splitting wood for a campfire or a woodstove, the
      split always follows the grain in my experience. The axe head or wedge
      serves to start things, but the actual split follows the grain that the
      blade ends in. James Cunningham has it right that the effort decreases
      after the initial split.

      Controlling that split is the great art of the bowyer, which I do not yet
      have the patience to try. Sigh. Maybe someday.

      Padraig MacRaighne

      To all my friends here, I will either see you or miss you at the War.