Re: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 2031

  • Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2005
      -snip-
      >I don't doubt that you can split an arrow with a 70 lb. bow. I
      >wouldn't say it's impossible to do it with a 20# bow! But my brain is
      >thinking; my 42# bow stops penetrating 2" into a 1/8" piece of
      >cardboard at 40 yards. What are the odds it would have enough force to
      >split a 28" solid piece of wood lengthwise like a fell axe blow?
      >-Cian

      Cian,

      I have no problem in envisoning my bow/arrow being able to split another arrow.

      I also shoot into cardboard, stacked on edge, and I usually pull about 15-16" of
      my arrow out of it. Shot from a 60lb hickory backed Yew LB. (165-167 ft/min)

      I do know that the common method of finishing an arrow, using "gasket laquer",
      makes a finish that heats up, and sticks to cardboard as well as a number of
      other target types. That's why I don't use it anymore. I use about 3 coats of
      linseed oil, burnished between coats.

      Godwin