Re: [SCA-Archery] Robin splitting the arrow.

  • Jeffrey Webb
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2005
      Greetings,
      I am dissappointed because I have liked
      the "Mythbusters" tv show. Most of us have witnessed such a split on an arrow, so just because they say it can't be so "flies in he face" of what most of us have seen and witnessed.
      As to "Robin Hood". He is a legend. We are not certain if he ever even existed. There are several different figures that the legend is drawn from dating from the Plantagenet up through Hundred Years War. Some accounts have Robin Hood splitting an arrow and some have him splitting the wand. It's legend.
      Most indoor archery ranges have their share of "Robin Hooded" arrows on display on the wall (both aluminum and wood). I and most of you have witnessed it happening.......so, just because a few "geeks" on television couldn't do it, means nothing. Granted, it is rare, but after shooting the many thousands of shots
      most of us have done and witnessing the many thousands more, it happens.
      BTW on the subject of Howard Hill (one of my absolute HEROES in The archery world). He was an awesome shot. He shot his own variation of instinctive/gap shooting which he called "split vision" shooting. He did not do that remarkably well on set distance shooting at concentric circle targets. It wasn't his thing. His scores on York Rounds wouldn't exactly "set the world on fire", but put him in the woods at unset distances and ever changing types of targets,........you'd be hard pressed to find any archer in history to rival him. I've seen the videoof him shooting two aspirins out of the air. He had his assistantant through two aspirins in the air as he stood ready with a nocked arrow and he hit the first one, drew and nocked and shot the second before it hit the ground. I doubt if the "GEEKS" could do that one eiher.
      Respectfully,
      -Geoffrei