Re: [SCA-Archery] Robin splitting the arrow.

  • JohnBorOx@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2005
      I just saw the episode of Mythbusters. They tried everything they could and
      the show was kind of interesting. Finally concluded that it could not be
      done because the arrow would always follow the grain of the wood. Even with
      fiberglass arrows! *grin*

      They even mentioned Howard Hill and showed one of his home videos doing
      his trick shots. Fascinating I thought. Bet he could of easily made Ludicrous
      Grand Master. Wonder how high a score he could of managed in a Royal Round?

      They tried with a compound bow and with a "robot" to ensure the same
      trajectory every time. No go. Thru slow motion they found they could not get an
      arrow to fly without flexing.

      Didn't someone earlier mention a different type of wood used back then?
      Denser? Probably with strait grains.

      They even went to a Ren Faire and tried 16 archers. Nothing came close.

      In Service to the Dream,

      John Bor Ox
      Archery Captain/Marshal
      Province of Malagentia, Kingdom of the East

    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2005
        One wonders how much of this was deliberate on the part of the
        producers. I'll have to wait to see if anyone here got a tape or
        it. Reading translations from the French of the earliest accounts I could
        find mentioning this it only refers to "splitting the arrow" not splitting
        from nock to tip. In fact, the earliest I can find of that version is in
        the 20th century. Does anyone have an earlier reference to a complete split?
        Carolus

        At 07:53 PM 8/3/2005, you wrote:

        >I just saw the episode of Mythbusters. They tried everything they could and
        >the show was kind of interesting. Finally concluded that it could not be
        >done because the arrow would always follow the grain of the wood. Even with
        >fiberglass arrows! *grin*
        >
        > They even mentioned Howard Hill and showed one of his home videos doing
        >his trick shots. Fascinating I thought. Bet he could of easily
        >made Ludicrous
        >Grand Master. Wonder how high a score he could of managed in a Royal Round?
        >
        >They tried with a compound bow and with a "robot" to ensure the same
        >trajectory every time. No go. Thru slow motion they found they
        >could not get an
        >arrow to fly without flexing.
        >
        > Didn't someone earlier mention a different type of wood used back then?
        >Denser? Probably with strait grains.
        >
        > They even went to a Ren Faire and tried 16 archers. Nothing came close.
        >
        >In Service to the Dream,
        >
        >John Bor Ox
        >Archery Captain/Marshal
        >Province of Malagentia, Kingdom of the East

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        >--
      • Carl West
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2005
          JohnBorOx@... wrote:

          > I just saw the episode of Mythbusters. They tried everything they could...

          Except arrows and techniques that would work.

          > They tried with a compound bow and with a "robot" to ensure the same
          > trajectory every time. No go. Thru slow motion they found they could not get an
          > arrow to fly without flexing.

          Well, duh. That's why it has to be done from a distance, to let the
          arrow stabilize and hit straight.

          > Didn't someone earlier mention a different type of wood used back then?
          > Denser? Probably with strait grains.

          Riven or coppiced.

          Riven is split from a baulk of wood instead of cut, thus assuring the
          grain runs true the whole length. Some straightening is usually
          required. Oak, ash, pine and cedar rive pretty well. Maple not so good,
          and birch? forget it. I have a scar to prove it.

          Coppicing can give shafts of grown-straight wood. Google 'Coppicing'
          you'll get a lot of info.

          -- Fritz

          Carl West
          mailto:carl.west@...
          http://carl.west.home.comcast.net
          ----------------------------------
          Thinking outside the box - Good
          Pooping outside the box - Bad
        • Jeffrey Webb
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4, 2005
            Greetings,
            I am dissappointed because I have liked
            the "Mythbusters" tv show. Most of us have witnessed such a split on an arrow, so just because they say it can't be so "flies in he face" of what most of us have seen and witnessed.
            As to "Robin Hood". He is a legend. We are not certain if he ever even existed. There are several different figures that the legend is drawn from dating from the Plantagenet up through Hundred Years War. Some accounts have Robin Hood splitting an arrow and some have him splitting the wand. It's legend.
            Most indoor archery ranges have their share of "Robin Hooded" arrows on display on the wall (both aluminum and wood). I and most of you have witnessed it happening.......so, just because a few "geeks" on television couldn't do it, means nothing. Granted, it is rare, but after shooting the many thousands of shots
            most of us have done and witnessing the many thousands more, it happens.
            BTW on the subject of Howard Hill (one of my absolute HEROES in The archery world). He was an awesome shot. He shot his own variation of instinctive/gap shooting which he called "split vision" shooting. He did not do that remarkably well on set distance shooting at concentric circle targets. It wasn't his thing. His scores on York Rounds wouldn't exactly "set the world on fire", but put him in the woods at unset distances and ever changing types of targets,........you'd be hard pressed to find any archer in history to rival him. I've seen the videoof him shooting two aspirins out of the air. He had his assistantant through two aspirins in the air as he stood ready with a nocked arrow and he hit the first one, drew and nocked and shot the second before it hit the ground. I doubt if the "GEEKS" could do that one eiher.
            Respectfully,
            -Geoffrei