RE: [SCA-Archery] Want to start archery, parental advisory

  • Carolus von Eulenhorst
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1 9:26 PM
      Actually, the warfare of the age DID lead to the concept of chivalry as we
      practice it. The fact that that concept saw little if any practical
      application at the time is irrelevant. What is important is what WE do
      with the concept.
      Carolus

      At 12:49 PM 8/1/2005, you wrote:

      >been.>>
      >
      >Yes. But you had written that the real warfare led to chivalry so you had
      >been writing of the actually times not our practice of it.
      >
      >Kathy

      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      >--
    • Cian of Storvik
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1 10:26 PM
        I would probably ease into it.
        As far as the SCA being "war minded". I would suggest that you look at
        the SCA.ORG information page "OVERVIEW AND DESCRIPTION OF THE SCA". If
        you spend any time in the SCA you will see that there is a living
        history aspect to it, as well as the sporting qualities. Very few
        people are in the SCA soley to whack people with a rattan stick.
        Anyone that wants to join he SCA because they want to bash people will
        either get very bored or very banned (for using excessive force).

        I would mention that you have an interest in traditional target
        Archery. Archery is a non-contact sport and not aggressive at all.
        Concentration, hand-eye coordination and practice are key elements to
        good target archery. Traditional archery is using bows like they would
        have used in period over 100 years ago. Not the modern "gun bows" with
        mechanical multiplying pulleys and hair-sights/peeps/trigger releases
        that remove all the natural skills required to shoot a bow. The SCA is
        one of the few organizations that not only aknowledge traditional bow
        use, but actually promote their use and understanding.

        If they are puzzled by your sudden interest in Archery, just pick-up
        some articles from Maurice Thompson and leave them conspicuously about
        the house. Maurice Thompson wrote very poetic annecdotes of archery
        nearly 125 years ago in "Witchery of Archery" and many articles for
        magazines and papers. Though he wrote of bow hunting and not target
        archery, his revelations of observing nature in all of it's splender
        drew in a new rennaissance of bow use over generations.

        "Give me a fortnight of freedom in the woods of spring, and I will
        find a freshness infinitely changeable, an originality varying with
        every puff of the breeze. Give me an outing; you might as well, for
        otherwise I shall take it by force; I must have it. And what is an
        outing in the green woods to him who bears not the longbow?

        Now, if you ask why the longbow is to be lugged in, I answer, because.
        It goes, or I stay. I would rather delve at my desk, with the good yew
        unstrung standing there in the corner beside the ancient tall clock,
        than to undertake a ramble in the hill-country without that trusty
        monochord across my arm. We have been boon companions these many
        years, my bow and I, and it is now too late for a change of relation;
        we go together into green solitudes and find the places where Diana's
        footprints are yet almost visible, the spot, still warm, where Pan
        took his noonday nap"

        I would get them acclimated to the other aspects of the SCA before you
        even allude to the fact that you are interested in combat.
        "Combat" is no worse then Football, soccer, karate or other contact
        sport. Combat will give you bruises to an extent (depending on the
        amount and placement of the armor you wear), but the SCA takes very
        serious measures to minimize medical injuries. And comparatively safe
        compared to rugby, hockey or field hockey in my opinion.

        Good luck and may all your arrows fly unerringly to their mark.
        -Cian