Re: [SCA-Archery] RE:Want to start archery, parental advisory

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
      And I was never like Geoffrei... I did everything my parents wanted me to.
      But that does not mean I cannot agree with him on this point. Well put.

      James Cunningham
      The good son

      > Greetings Austin and the list,
      > While it may seem difficult and frustrating to abide by your parents
      wishes and rules, they are afterall your parents, they love you and have
      your best interests and safety in mind. While I may not agree with their
      sentiments regarding our group, I must respect their intentions.
      > Another member of this list suggested that you ask your parents to
      accompany you to an SCA event, that's a very good idea. SCA events are very
      family friendly and who knows, they may actually enjoy themselves and become
      members.
      > I remember being 17 (although that was over 35 years ago, when rocks
      were soft and the Dead Sea was only just a little sick) and I was a very
      rebellious teen that rode with bike gangs and raised merry H*ll.
      > My dad was a methodist minister and gave me plenty of rope and as a
      typical PK, I practically hanged myself. We argued constantly over politics,
      religion, my choice of girlfriends, etc. We argued and argued and argued.
      Later on, we became best of friends when I was in my 20's and my dad was my
      best man at my wedding. When I became involved in the SCA, both of my
      parents would occassionally attend events and enjoyed themselves. My point?
      > Right now, you think they are cramping your style and unfairly keeping you
      from what you want to do. Every teenager thinks that. In six months, you can
      do as you wish and make your own choices, but do yourself a favor when that
      time comes....don't shut your parents out. You may not agree wih them, but,
      they love you and are always going to care about you.
      > ->
      > Geoffrei

    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
        Actually, the warfare of the age DID lead to the concept of chivalry as we
        practice it. The fact that that concept saw little if any practical
        application at the time is irrelevant. What is important is what WE do
        with the concept.
        Carolus

        At 12:49 PM 8/1/2005, you wrote:

        >been.>>
        >
        >Yes. But you had written that the real warfare led to chivalry so you had
        >been writing of the actually times not our practice of it.
        >
        >Kathy

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        >--
      • Cian of Storvik
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
          I would probably ease into it.
          As far as the SCA being "war minded". I would suggest that you look at
          the SCA.ORG information page "OVERVIEW AND DESCRIPTION OF THE SCA". If
          you spend any time in the SCA you will see that there is a living
          history aspect to it, as well as the sporting qualities. Very few
          people are in the SCA soley to whack people with a rattan stick.
          Anyone that wants to join he SCA because they want to bash people will
          either get very bored or very banned (for using excessive force).

          I would mention that you have an interest in traditional target
          Archery. Archery is a non-contact sport and not aggressive at all.
          Concentration, hand-eye coordination and practice are key elements to
          good target archery. Traditional archery is using bows like they would
          have used in period over 100 years ago. Not the modern "gun bows" with
          mechanical multiplying pulleys and hair-sights/peeps/trigger releases
          that remove all the natural skills required to shoot a bow. The SCA is
          one of the few organizations that not only aknowledge traditional bow
          use, but actually promote their use and understanding.

          If they are puzzled by your sudden interest in Archery, just pick-up
          some articles from Maurice Thompson and leave them conspicuously about
          the house. Maurice Thompson wrote very poetic annecdotes of archery
          nearly 125 years ago in "Witchery of Archery" and many articles for
          magazines and papers. Though he wrote of bow hunting and not target
          archery, his revelations of observing nature in all of it's splender
          drew in a new rennaissance of bow use over generations.

          "Give me a fortnight of freedom in the woods of spring, and I will
          find a freshness infinitely changeable, an originality varying with
          every puff of the breeze. Give me an outing; you might as well, for
          otherwise I shall take it by force; I must have it. And what is an
          outing in the green woods to him who bears not the longbow?

          Now, if you ask why the longbow is to be lugged in, I answer, because.
          It goes, or I stay. I would rather delve at my desk, with the good yew
          unstrung standing there in the corner beside the ancient tall clock,
          than to undertake a ramble in the hill-country without that trusty
          monochord across my arm. We have been boon companions these many
          years, my bow and I, and it is now too late for a change of relation;
          we go together into green solitudes and find the places where Diana's
          footprints are yet almost visible, the spot, still warm, where Pan
          took his noonday nap"

          I would get them acclimated to the other aspects of the SCA before you
          even allude to the fact that you are interested in combat.
          "Combat" is no worse then Football, soccer, karate or other contact
          sport. Combat will give you bruises to an extent (depending on the
          amount and placement of the armor you wear), but the SCA takes very
          serious measures to minimize medical injuries. And comparatively safe
          compared to rugby, hockey or field hockey in my opinion.

          Good luck and may all your arrows fly unerringly to their mark.
          -Cian