RE: [SCA-Archery] Want to start archery, parental advisory

  • Kaleyna
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1 12:49 PM
      >>>Kathy, Remember this is the Middle Ages as it should have
      been.>>

      Yes. But you had written that the real warfare led to chivalry so you had
      been writing of the actually times not our practice of it.

      Kathy
    • ronan morton
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1 2:57 PM
        Greetings Austin,

        I hope the best for you but you might try and bring your parents to a
        practice and let them meet some of the people who already call the SCA home.
        My advice to you is to never go behind their's or anyone else's back but
        to be open about all that you do and that may impress them in itself. Most
        of the people who come around to meet our shire are impressed that we know
        so much about history and the skills from the time period that we portray.
        Some people come to us thinking that we are a bunch of stick swinging jerks
        who like pain. When most people learn that our shire has about a dozen
        public school teachers in it and that a large part of the SCA is devoted to
        education and the Arts they are very surprised. Worst case scenario be
        patient and in 6 months you are free to join and participate as an adult.

        Best of luck,
        Ronan MacMorton
      • Jeffrey Webb
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1 5:44 PM
          Greetings Austin and the list,
          While it may seem difficult and frustrating to abide by your parents wishes and rules, they are afterall your parents, they love you and have your best interests and safety in mind. While I may not agree with their sentiments regarding our group, I must respect their intentions.
          Another member of this list suggested that you ask your parents to accompany you to an SCA event, that's a very good idea. SCA events are very family friendly and who knows, they may actually enjoy themselves and become members.
          I remember being 17 (although that was over 35 years ago, when rocks were soft and the Dead Sea was only just a little sick) and I was a very rebellious teen that rode with bike gangs and raised merry H*ll.
          My dad was a methodist minister and gave me plenty of rope and as a typical PK, I practically hanged myself. We argued constantly over politics, religion, my choice of girlfriends, etc. We argued and argued and argued. Later on, we became best of friends when I was in my 20's and my dad was my best man at my wedding. When I became involved in the SCA, both of my parents would occassionally attend events and enjoyed themselves. My point?
          Right now, you think they are cramping your style and unfairly keeping you from what you want to do. Every teenager thinks that. In six months, you can do as you wish and make your own choices, but do yourself a favor when that time comes....don't shut your parents out. You may not agree wih them, but, they love you and are always going to care about you.
          -Geoffrei
        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1 8:03 PM
            And I was never like Geoffrei... I did everything my parents wanted me to.
            But that does not mean I cannot agree with him on this point. Well put.

            James Cunningham
            The good son

            > Greetings Austin and the list,
            > While it may seem difficult and frustrating to abide by your parents
            wishes and rules, they are afterall your parents, they love you and have
            your best interests and safety in mind. While I may not agree with their
            sentiments regarding our group, I must respect their intentions.
            > Another member of this list suggested that you ask your parents to
            accompany you to an SCA event, that's a very good idea. SCA events are very
            family friendly and who knows, they may actually enjoy themselves and become
            members.
            > I remember being 17 (although that was over 35 years ago, when rocks
            were soft and the Dead Sea was only just a little sick) and I was a very
            rebellious teen that rode with bike gangs and raised merry H*ll.
            > My dad was a methodist minister and gave me plenty of rope and as a
            typical PK, I practically hanged myself. We argued constantly over politics,
            religion, my choice of girlfriends, etc. We argued and argued and argued.
            Later on, we became best of friends when I was in my 20's and my dad was my
            best man at my wedding. When I became involved in the SCA, both of my
            parents would occassionally attend events and enjoyed themselves. My point?
            > Right now, you think they are cramping your style and unfairly keeping you
            from what you want to do. Every teenager thinks that. In six months, you can
            do as you wish and make your own choices, but do yourself a favor when that
            time comes....don't shut your parents out. You may not agree wih them, but,
            they love you and are always going to care about you.
            > ->
            > Geoffrei

          • Carolus von Eulenhorst
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1 9:26 PM
              Actually, the warfare of the age DID lead to the concept of chivalry as we
              practice it. The fact that that concept saw little if any practical
              application at the time is irrelevant. What is important is what WE do
              with the concept.
              Carolus

              At 12:49 PM 8/1/2005, you wrote:

              >been.>>
              >
              >Yes. But you had written that the real warfare led to chivalry so you had
              >been writing of the actually times not our practice of it.
              >
              >Kathy

              >Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              >--
            • Cian of Storvik
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1 10:26 PM
                I would probably ease into it.
                As far as the SCA being "war minded". I would suggest that you look at
                the SCA.ORG information page "OVERVIEW AND DESCRIPTION OF THE SCA". If
                you spend any time in the SCA you will see that there is a living
                history aspect to it, as well as the sporting qualities. Very few
                people are in the SCA soley to whack people with a rattan stick.
                Anyone that wants to join he SCA because they want to bash people will
                either get very bored or very banned (for using excessive force).

                I would mention that you have an interest in traditional target
                Archery. Archery is a non-contact sport and not aggressive at all.
                Concentration, hand-eye coordination and practice are key elements to
                good target archery. Traditional archery is using bows like they would
                have used in period over 100 years ago. Not the modern "gun bows" with
                mechanical multiplying pulleys and hair-sights/peeps/trigger releases
                that remove all the natural skills required to shoot a bow. The SCA is
                one of the few organizations that not only aknowledge traditional bow
                use, but actually promote their use and understanding.

                If they are puzzled by your sudden interest in Archery, just pick-up
                some articles from Maurice Thompson and leave them conspicuously about
                the house. Maurice Thompson wrote very poetic annecdotes of archery
                nearly 125 years ago in "Witchery of Archery" and many articles for
                magazines and papers. Though he wrote of bow hunting and not target
                archery, his revelations of observing nature in all of it's splender
                drew in a new rennaissance of bow use over generations.

                "Give me a fortnight of freedom in the woods of spring, and I will
                find a freshness infinitely changeable, an originality varying with
                every puff of the breeze. Give me an outing; you might as well, for
                otherwise I shall take it by force; I must have it. And what is an
                outing in the green woods to him who bears not the longbow?

                Now, if you ask why the longbow is to be lugged in, I answer, because.
                It goes, or I stay. I would rather delve at my desk, with the good yew
                unstrung standing there in the corner beside the ancient tall clock,
                than to undertake a ramble in the hill-country without that trusty
                monochord across my arm. We have been boon companions these many
                years, my bow and I, and it is now too late for a change of relation;
                we go together into green solitudes and find the places where Diana's
                footprints are yet almost visible, the spot, still warm, where Pan
                took his noonday nap"

                I would get them acclimated to the other aspects of the SCA before you
                even allude to the fact that you are interested in combat.
                "Combat" is no worse then Football, soccer, karate or other contact
                sport. Combat will give you bruises to an extent (depending on the
                amount and placement of the armor you wear), but the SCA takes very
                serious measures to minimize medical injuries. And comparatively safe
                compared to rugby, hockey or field hockey in my opinion.

                Good luck and may all your arrows fly unerringly to their mark.
                -Cian