Re: [SCA-Archery] Want to start archery, parental advisory

  • Kay Newsom
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
      Kathy,
      Remember this is the Middle Ages as it should have
      been.

      K.

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Kaleyna
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
        >>>Kathy, Remember this is the Middle Ages as it should have
        been.>>

        Yes. But you had written that the real warfare led to chivalry so you had
        been writing of the actually times not our practice of it.

        Kathy
      • ronan morton
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
          Greetings Austin,

          I hope the best for you but you might try and bring your parents to a
          practice and let them meet some of the people who already call the SCA home.
          My advice to you is to never go behind their's or anyone else's back but
          to be open about all that you do and that may impress them in itself. Most
          of the people who come around to meet our shire are impressed that we know
          so much about history and the skills from the time period that we portray.
          Some people come to us thinking that we are a bunch of stick swinging jerks
          who like pain. When most people learn that our shire has about a dozen
          public school teachers in it and that a large part of the SCA is devoted to
          education and the Arts they are very surprised. Worst case scenario be
          patient and in 6 months you are free to join and participate as an adult.

          Best of luck,
          Ronan MacMorton
        • Jeffrey Webb
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
            Greetings Austin and the list,
            While it may seem difficult and frustrating to abide by your parents wishes and rules, they are afterall your parents, they love you and have your best interests and safety in mind. While I may not agree with their sentiments regarding our group, I must respect their intentions.
            Another member of this list suggested that you ask your parents to accompany you to an SCA event, that's a very good idea. SCA events are very family friendly and who knows, they may actually enjoy themselves and become members.
            I remember being 17 (although that was over 35 years ago, when rocks were soft and the Dead Sea was only just a little sick) and I was a very rebellious teen that rode with bike gangs and raised merry H*ll.
            My dad was a methodist minister and gave me plenty of rope and as a typical PK, I practically hanged myself. We argued constantly over politics, religion, my choice of girlfriends, etc. We argued and argued and argued. Later on, we became best of friends when I was in my 20's and my dad was my best man at my wedding. When I became involved in the SCA, both of my parents would occassionally attend events and enjoyed themselves. My point?
            Right now, you think they are cramping your style and unfairly keeping you from what you want to do. Every teenager thinks that. In six months, you can do as you wish and make your own choices, but do yourself a favor when that time comes....don't shut your parents out. You may not agree wih them, but, they love you and are always going to care about you.
            -Geoffrei
          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
              And I was never like Geoffrei... I did everything my parents wanted me to.
              But that does not mean I cannot agree with him on this point. Well put.

              James Cunningham
              The good son

              > Greetings Austin and the list,
              > While it may seem difficult and frustrating to abide by your parents
              wishes and rules, they are afterall your parents, they love you and have
              your best interests and safety in mind. While I may not agree with their
              sentiments regarding our group, I must respect their intentions.
              > Another member of this list suggested that you ask your parents to
              accompany you to an SCA event, that's a very good idea. SCA events are very
              family friendly and who knows, they may actually enjoy themselves and become
              members.
              > I remember being 17 (although that was over 35 years ago, when rocks
              were soft and the Dead Sea was only just a little sick) and I was a very
              rebellious teen that rode with bike gangs and raised merry H*ll.
              > My dad was a methodist minister and gave me plenty of rope and as a
              typical PK, I practically hanged myself. We argued constantly over politics,
              religion, my choice of girlfriends, etc. We argued and argued and argued.
              Later on, we became best of friends when I was in my 20's and my dad was my
              best man at my wedding. When I became involved in the SCA, both of my
              parents would occassionally attend events and enjoyed themselves. My point?
              > Right now, you think they are cramping your style and unfairly keeping you
              from what you want to do. Every teenager thinks that. In six months, you can
              do as you wish and make your own choices, but do yourself a favor when that
              time comes....don't shut your parents out. You may not agree wih them, but,
              they love you and are always going to care about you.
              > ->
              > Geoffrei

            • Carolus von Eulenhorst
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                Actually, the warfare of the age DID lead to the concept of chivalry as we
                practice it. The fact that that concept saw little if any practical
                application at the time is irrelevant. What is important is what WE do
                with the concept.
                Carolus

                At 12:49 PM 8/1/2005, you wrote:

                >been.>>
                >
                >Yes. But you had written that the real warfare led to chivalry so you had
                >been writing of the actually times not our practice of it.
                >
                >Kathy

                >Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                >--
              • Cian of Storvik
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                  I would probably ease into it.
                  As far as the SCA being "war minded". I would suggest that you look at
                  the SCA.ORG information page "OVERVIEW AND DESCRIPTION OF THE SCA". If
                  you spend any time in the SCA you will see that there is a living
                  history aspect to it, as well as the sporting qualities. Very few
                  people are in the SCA soley to whack people with a rattan stick.
                  Anyone that wants to join he SCA because they want to bash people will
                  either get very bored or very banned (for using excessive force).

                  I would mention that you have an interest in traditional target
                  Archery. Archery is a non-contact sport and not aggressive at all.
                  Concentration, hand-eye coordination and practice are key elements to
                  good target archery. Traditional archery is using bows like they would
                  have used in period over 100 years ago. Not the modern "gun bows" with
                  mechanical multiplying pulleys and hair-sights/peeps/trigger releases
                  that remove all the natural skills required to shoot a bow. The SCA is
                  one of the few organizations that not only aknowledge traditional bow
                  use, but actually promote their use and understanding.

                  If they are puzzled by your sudden interest in Archery, just pick-up
                  some articles from Maurice Thompson and leave them conspicuously about
                  the house. Maurice Thompson wrote very poetic annecdotes of archery
                  nearly 125 years ago in "Witchery of Archery" and many articles for
                  magazines and papers. Though he wrote of bow hunting and not target
                  archery, his revelations of observing nature in all of it's splender
                  drew in a new rennaissance of bow use over generations.

                  "Give me a fortnight of freedom in the woods of spring, and I will
                  find a freshness infinitely changeable, an originality varying with
                  every puff of the breeze. Give me an outing; you might as well, for
                  otherwise I shall take it by force; I must have it. And what is an
                  outing in the green woods to him who bears not the longbow?

                  Now, if you ask why the longbow is to be lugged in, I answer, because.
                  It goes, or I stay. I would rather delve at my desk, with the good yew
                  unstrung standing there in the corner beside the ancient tall clock,
                  than to undertake a ramble in the hill-country without that trusty
                  monochord across my arm. We have been boon companions these many
                  years, my bow and I, and it is now too late for a change of relation;
                  we go together into green solitudes and find the places where Diana's
                  footprints are yet almost visible, the spot, still warm, where Pan
                  took his noonday nap"

                  I would get them acclimated to the other aspects of the SCA before you
                  even allude to the fact that you are interested in combat.
                  "Combat" is no worse then Football, soccer, karate or other contact
                  sport. Combat will give you bruises to an extent (depending on the
                  amount and placement of the armor you wear), but the SCA takes very
                  serious measures to minimize medical injuries. And comparatively safe
                  compared to rugby, hockey or field hockey in my opinion.

                  Good luck and may all your arrows fly unerringly to their mark.
                  -Cian