Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: The Infernal Machine

  • mark s graves
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 27, 2005
      One thing the book the Great Warbow points out is the density of the wood
      of the trees has changed. The trees are growing faster in these times
      and bows don't pull as much weight. I can't imagine pulling a 160 to 175
      lbs. bow and I am a big, stout person. It is very interesting to
      read......William
    • Daniel Hawley
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 1 11:56 AM
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Lord Caedmon Wilson
        <caedmon.wilson@g...> wrote:
        > Talk all you want, longbow boy...but I would like to see your handbow
        > throw a solid iron bolt any further than 10 feet.
        >
        > I mean, look at the poundage! 250lb to 1000lb. Surely BIG NUMBERS
        > count for something?!
        >
        > --
        > Lord Caedmon Wilson
        >
        > Oaken Regional Youth Combat Marshal
        > Crossbow Archery Champion, Barony Flaming Gryphon
        > Rapier Champion, South Oaken Region

        Sorry look at
        http://www.thebeckoning.com/medieval/crossbow/cross_l_v_c.html
        A Longbow in this experiment pulling 68lbs threw a 2.5 oz arrow at
        133.7 fps a 740lb crossbows managed just 5fps more with a bolt half
        the wieght. The crossbow is far less efficiant due to the length of
        power stroke. As to which is the better weapon, it depends on what the
        situation is, and that has already been discussed at length, but to
        nail my colours to the mast, I'm a longbowman through and through.
        I do intend to repeat this test for myself in the not too distant
        future, using my 70lb longbow, and my friends 250lb crossbow if I can
        get permission to use my local pro-shop's chronograph. I will also do
        a range comparision if I can find a field long enough and get
        permission to use it. If people are interested I will film the results
        and post them here, and I promise, no cheating!

        Daniel
      • James Koch
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 1 9:14 PM
          Medieval crossbows for centuries had wooden prods which were quite
          long. These were more like a short hand bow mounted on a stock. I'd like
          to build one to check its performance.

          Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

          >At 02:56 PM 8/1/2005, you wrote:
          >--- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Lord Caedmon Wilson
          ><caedmon.wilson@g...> wrote:
          > > Talk all you want, longbow boy...but I would like to see your handbow
          > > throw a solid iron bolt any further than 10 feet.
          > >
          > > I mean, look at the poundage! 250lb to 1000lb. Surely BIG NUMBERS
          > > count for something?!
          > >
          > > --
          > > Lord Caedmon Wilson
          > >
          > > Oaken Regional Youth Combat Marshal
          > > Crossbow Archery Champion, Barony Flaming Gryphon
          > > Rapier Champion, South Oaken Region
          >
          >Sorry look at
          >http://www.thebeckoning.com/medieval/crossbow/cross_l_v_c.html
          > A Longbow in this experiment pulling 68lbs threw a 2.5 oz arrow at
          >133.7 fps a 740lb crossbows managed just 5fps more with a bolt half
          >the wieght. The crossbow is far less efficiant due to the length of
          >power stroke. As to which is the better weapon, it depends on what the
          >situation is, and that has already been discussed at length, but to
          >nail my colours to the mast, I'm a longbowman through and through.
          >I do intend to repeat this test for myself in the not too distant
          >future, using my 70lb longbow, and my friends 250lb crossbow if I can
          >get permission to use my local pro-shop's chronograph. I will also do
          >a range comparision if I can find a field long enough and get
          >permission to use it. If people are interested I will film the results
          >and post them here, and I promise, no cheating!
          >
          >Daniel

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Carolus von Eulenhorst
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 1 9:22 PM
            Ay, yes. There's the rub. The bolt was half the weight. The crossbow
            comes into its own when it throws a 5 oz bolt at that same 138 fps. A
            crossbow is limited by the modulus of elasticity of its prod. That is the
            rate at which it returns to its resting position. However, it is capable
            of propelling a much heavier projectile at that same speed. That makes its
            effective energy delivery truly awesome and why it was so deadly at range
            and against heavy armor. When you make these comparisons be sure to use
            some very heavy projectiles (with correspondingly strong backstops) to get
            a feel for the true effect of the weapon.
            Carolus

            At 11:56 AM 8/1/2005, you wrote:

            >--- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Lord Caedmon Wilson
            ><caedmon.wilson@g...> wrote:
            > > Talk all you want, longbow boy...but I would like to see your handbow
            > > throw a solid iron bolt any further than 10 feet.
            > >
            > > I mean, look at the poundage! 250lb to 1000lb. Surely BIG NUMBERS
            > > count for something?!
            > >
            > > --
            > > Lord Caedmon Wilson
            > >
            > > Oaken Regional Youth Combat Marshal
            > > Crossbow Archery Champion, Barony Flaming Gryphon
            > > Rapier Champion, South Oaken Region
            >
            >Sorry look at
            >http://www.thebeckoning.com/medieval/crossbow/cross_l_v_c.html
            > A Longbow in this experiment pulling 68lbs threw a 2.5 oz arrow at
            >133.7 fps a 740lb crossbows managed just 5fps more with a bolt half
            >the wieght. The crossbow is far less efficiant due to the length of
            >power stroke. As to which is the better weapon, it depends on what the
            >situation is, and that has already been discussed at length, but to
            >nail my colours to the mast, I'm a longbowman through and through.
            >I do intend to repeat this test for myself in the not too distant
            >future, using my 70lb longbow, and my friends 250lb crossbow if I can
            >get permission to use my local pro-shop's chronograph. I will also do
            >a range comparision if I can find a field long enough and get
            >permission to use it. If people are interested I will film the results
            >and post them here, and I promise, no cheating!
            >
            >Daniel

            >Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            >--
          • Gary Henderson
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 2 3:26 AM
              From what I have read (can't remember what source off hand but I believe it
              was the medieval archer by Bradbury) That originally the crossbow prods were
              wood and did not begin to outshoot the longbow till steel prods were
              introduced in the 14th or 15th century .
              Gwyn
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 2 6:34 AM
                Actually the wood prods continued in use until the
                16th century. With crossbows the poundage goes up with
                composite and steel as a trade off as the rate of fire
                goes down. In about the 11th century military use
                favored the use of composite prods which out shot all
                available handbows. The longbow as we know it with the
                heavier poundage is only began to be developed and
                issued with Edward I at the end of the 13th century.
                By the time it is on the battlefields of the 100rd
                Years War, the crossbow manufactures were working
                toward the steel prod. But at Crecy the longbow was
                present and the crossbowmen had composite prods but no
                Pavases.

                Charles O'Connor

                --- Gary Henderson <cucymry@...> wrote:

                > From what I have read (can't remember what source
                > off hand but I believe it
                > was the medieval archer by Bradbury) That originally
                > the crossbow prods were
                > wood and did not begin to outshoot the longbow till
                > steel prods were
                > introduced in the 14th or 15th century .
                > Gwyn

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • J. Hughes
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 2 6:44 AM
                  I would be very interested in how the reconstruction
                  comes out. I know that wood prod crossbows were
                  popular with Swedish peasants in the 16th century for
                  hunting and proved very effective against the Danish
                  in the revolt.

                  Charles O'Connor

                  --- James Koch <alchem@...> wrote:

                  > Medieval crossbows for centuries had wooden prods
                  > which were quite
                  > long. These were more like a short hand bow mounted
                  > on a stock. I'd like
                  > to build one to check its performance.
                  > >
                  > Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • Michael Scherrer
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 2 7:07 AM
                    Jim, will you be at Pennsic ?
                    It would be nice to get a little round table discussion with the crossbow
                    builders one night!!

                    Thomas

                    >From: James Koch <alchem@...>
                    >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: The Infernal Machine
                    >Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 00:14:26 -0400
                    >
                    >Medieval crossbows for centuries had wooden prods which were quite
                    >long. These were more like a short hand bow mounted on a stock. I'd like
                    >to build one to check its performance.
                    > >
                    >Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)
                    > >

                    > >At 02:56 PM 8/1/2005, you wrote:
                    > >--- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Lord Caedmon Wilson
                    > ><caedmon.wilson@g...> wrote:
                    > > > Talk all you want, longbow boy...but I would like to see your handbow
                    > > > throw a solid iron bolt any further than 10 feet.
                    > > >
                    > > > I mean, look at the poundage! 250lb to 1000lb. Surely BIG NUMBERS
                    > > > count for something?!
                    > > >
                    > > > --
                    > > > Lord Caedmon Wilson
                    > > >
                    > > > Oaken Regional Youth Combat Marshal
                    > > > Crossbow Archery Champion, Barony Flaming Gryphon
                    > > > Rapier Champion, South Oaken Region
                    > >
                    > >Sorry look at
                    > >http://www.thebeckoning.com/medieval/crossbow/cross_l_v_c.html
                    > > A Longbow in this experiment pulling 68lbs threw a 2.5 oz arrow at
                    > >133.7 fps a 740lb crossbows managed just 5fps more with a bolt half
                    > >the wieght. The crossbow is far less efficiant due to the length of
                    > >power stroke. As to which is the better weapon, it depends on what the
                    > >situation is, and that has already been discussed at length, but to
                    > >nail my colours to the mast, I'm a longbowman through and through.
                    > >I do intend to repeat this test for myself in the not too distant
                    > >future, using my 70lb longbow, and my friends 250lb crossbow if I can
                    > >get permission to use my local pro-shop's chronograph. I will also do
                    > >a range comparision if I can find a field long enough and get
                    > >permission to use it. If people are interested I will film the results
                    > >and post them here, and I promise, no cheating!
                    > >
                    > >Daniel

                    > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > >This message scanned for viruses by CoreComm

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Siegfried
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 2 7:42 AM
                      Well, for many years, traditionally, there was the Crossbow Conspiracy
                      ... which was just that. A bunch of Crossbow folks getting together
                      one evening to drink and talk Crossbow.

                      However, it died off ever since the 'Iolo incident' kept Iolo from
                      coming to Pennsic ... as he was one of the main people that helped
                      organize it.

                      It would be nice to see it return -- Though, it also had the problem
                      of not being extremely well attended in the last few years.

                      Siegfried

                    • Bruce R. Gordon
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 2 7:49 AM
                        Greetings
                        Yeah, there's a real nice 16th century crossbow with a massive wooden prod in the Cleveland Museum of Art, mounted with a very well-preserved cranequin. Looks like sinew backing - German manufacture, I think. Charles has, I'm sure, seen it any number of times.

                        Nigel

                        > Actually the wood prods continued in use until the
                        > 16th century... (snip)
                        "Do these colors match?"
                        "Is this too much jewelry?"
                        "Is that my drink?"

                      • Michael Scherrer
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 2 9:14 AM
                          I was at Pennsic XXX, which may have been the last real Conspiracy get
                          together.
                          And had heard about Iolo's little run in with Pennsic authorities, some time
                          later.

                          So unless some one else would like to volunteer.
                          How about Wednesday August 17th, around 7:30 PM, in the Calontir
                          encampment.
                          Ask for Thomas of Cologne.
                          Bring a chair, maybe something to drink. And we can swap bad stories.
                          It may not be big turn out.
                          But how often will there be any number of crossbow builders at one event?

                          Thomas

                          >From: Siegfried <SiegfriedFaust@...>
                          >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: The Infernal Machine
                          >Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:42:02 -0400
                          >
                          >Well, for many years, traditionally, there was the Crossbow Conspiracy
                          >... which was just that. A bunch of Crossbow folks getting together
                          >one evening to drink and talk Crossbow.
                          >
                          >However, it died off ever since the 'Iolo incident' kept Iolo from
                          >coming to Pennsic ... as he was one of the main people that helped
                          >organize it.
                          >
                          >It would be nice to see it return -- Though, it also had the problem
                          >of not being extremely well attended in the last few years.
                          >
                          >Siegfried
                          >

                          >On 8/2/05, Michael Scherrer <lordthomas@...> wrote:
                          > > Jim, will you be at Pennsic ?
                          > > It would be nice to get a little round table discussion with the
                          >crossbow
                          > > builders one night!!
                          > >
                          > > Thomas
                        • Siegfried
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 2 9:27 AM
                            Hrmmm, Wednesday can work, but of course you are up against Midnight
                            Madness (not that the madness happens all that much at night anyway
                            nowadays.

                            I'd say that Wednesday is probably the 2nd best night ... Thursday, to
                            me, is the best

                            Either way, I'll try to swing by ;)

                            Oh, where IS Calontir anyway? (no no, I mean at Pennsic) -- Short of
                            wandering around looking for the big purple tents.

                            Siegfried

                            On 8/2/05, Michael Scherrer <lordthomas@...> wrote:
                            > I was at Pennsic XXX, which may have been the last real Conspiracy get
                            > together.
                            > And had heard about Iolo's little run in with Pennsic authorities, some time
                            > later.
                            >
                            > So unless some one else would like to volunteer.
                            > How about Wednesday August 17th, around 7:30 PM, in the Calontir
                            > encampment.
                            > Ask for Thomas of Cologne.
                            > Bring a chair, maybe something to drink. And we can swap bad stories.
                            > It may not be big turn out.
                            > But how often will there be any number of crossbow builders at one event?
                            >
                            > Thomas
                            >
                            > >From: Siegfried <SiegfriedFaust@...>
                            > >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                            > >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: The Infernal Machine
                            > >Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:42:02 -0400
                            > >
                            > >Well, for many years, traditionally, there was the Crossbow Conspiracy
                            > >... which was just that. A bunch of Crossbow folks getting together
                            > >one evening to drink and talk Crossbow.
                            > >
                            > >However, it died off ever since the 'Iolo incident' kept Iolo from
                            > >coming to Pennsic ... as he was one of the main people that helped
                            > >organize it.
                            > >
                            > >It would be nice to see it return -- Though, it also had the problem
                            > >of not being extremely well attended in the last few years.
                            > >
                            > >Siegfried
                            > >

                            > >On 8/2/05, Michael Scherrer <lordthomas@...> wrote:
                            > > > Jim, will you be at Pennsic ?
                            > > > It would be nice to get a little round table discussion with the
                            > >crossbow
                            > > > builders one night!!
                            > > >
                            > > > Thomas

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Michael Scherrer
                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 2 11:53 AM
                              I have no problem with Thursday. Let us make it Thursday than.
                              People building, interested in building or just want to talk crossbow.

                              I have a wife that will more then likely have me following her at the
                              Midnight Madness.

                              Directions???
                              Coming from the battle field, go threw the new merchant area, past the rush
                              tents, and
                              the should put you in the right area. That is if they did change things.
                              That should get you close enought to see the purple tent.

                            • James Koch
                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 2 12:14 PM
                                I gave up hosting the Crossbow Conspiracy several years ago and turned it
                                over to Renee. You know, the cute blond with the Southern drawl and a
                                crossbow under her arm. She may no longer be sponsoring it since getting
                                word out became difficult once Iolo stopped attending. If someone knows
                                how to contact her, it would be a courtesy to ask if she has any plans to
                                host the get together this year.

                                Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

                                >At 10:42 AM 8/2/2005, you wrote:
                                >Well, for many years, traditionally, there was the Crossbow Conspiracy
                                >... which was just that. A bunch of Crossbow folks getting together
                                >one evening to drink and talk Crossbow.
                                >
                                >However, it died off ever since the 'Iolo incident' kept Iolo from
                                >coming to Pennsic ... as he was one of the main people that helped
                                >organize it.
                                >
                                >It would be nice to see it return -- Though, it also had the problem
                                >of not being extremely well attended in the last few years.
                                >
                                >Siegfried
                                >

                                >On 8/2/05, Michael Scherrer <lordthomas@...> wrote:
                                > > Jim, will you be at Pennsic ?
                                > > It would be nice to get a little round table discussion with the crossbow
                                > > builders one night!!
                                > >
                                > > Thomas
                                > >
                                > > >From: James Koch <alchem@...>
                                > > >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                                > > >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: The Infernal Machine
                                > > >Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 00:14:26 -0400
                                > > >
                                > > >Medieval crossbows for centuries had wooden prods which were quite
                                > > >long. These were more like a short hand bow mounted on a stock. I'd like
                                > > >to build one to check its performance.
                                > > > >
                                > > >Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

                                > > >---8<---------------------------------------------
                                > > >Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by Medieval Mart
                                > > >Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.medievalmart.com/

                                > > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                > >

                                >--
                                >THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust - http://crossbows.biz/
                                >Barony of Highland Foorde - Baronial Archery Marshal
                                >Kingdom of Atlantia - Deputy Kingdom Earl Marshal for Target Archery
                                >http://eliw.com/ - http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/

                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Michael Scherrer
                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 2 1:40 PM
                                  Any one out there know how to contact her??? Plan A
                                  IF not , plan B.
                                  Thursday night 7:30 Calontir on the map as NO3
                                  See Thomas of Cologne

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 2 10:14 PM
                                    I'll definitely be at Pennsic and hope to arrive on the first Wednesday.