RE: [SCA-Archery] Want to start archery, parental advisory

  • Kaleyna
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
      for whom beauty comes easy.>>>

      Well I think we know historically that this isn't the case. Women of a
      certain rank and class were treated well. Peasant women were fair game.

      As to the original question -

      Do your parents have a problem with target archery? You can always just
      shoot target archery, hone your skills, and then do combat archery when you
      are older and it is not a matter of asking your parents but an adult choice.
      I kind of think, the very well expressed notes about it not withstanding,
      that trying to convince your parents that this combat is good combat and not
      that nasty old regular war will get you nowhere. If you simply shoot for
      skill in hitting a target is can be along the lines of darts when explaining
      it to your folks. And you can also play up the historical aspects of the
      society and how you can learn about different cultures and the past.

      Kathy
    • Kay Newsom
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
        Kathy,
        Remember this is the Middle Ages as it should have
        been.

        K.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Kaleyna
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
          >>>Kathy, Remember this is the Middle Ages as it should have
          been.>>

          Yes. But you had written that the real warfare led to chivalry so you had
          been writing of the actually times not our practice of it.

          Kathy
        • ronan morton
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
            Greetings Austin,

            I hope the best for you but you might try and bring your parents to a
            practice and let them meet some of the people who already call the SCA home.
            My advice to you is to never go behind their's or anyone else's back but
            to be open about all that you do and that may impress them in itself. Most
            of the people who come around to meet our shire are impressed that we know
            so much about history and the skills from the time period that we portray.
            Some people come to us thinking that we are a bunch of stick swinging jerks
            who like pain. When most people learn that our shire has about a dozen
            public school teachers in it and that a large part of the SCA is devoted to
            education and the Arts they are very surprised. Worst case scenario be
            patient and in 6 months you are free to join and participate as an adult.

            Best of luck,
            Ronan MacMorton
          • Jeffrey Webb
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
              Greetings Austin and the list,
              While it may seem difficult and frustrating to abide by your parents wishes and rules, they are afterall your parents, they love you and have your best interests and safety in mind. While I may not agree with their sentiments regarding our group, I must respect their intentions.
              Another member of this list suggested that you ask your parents to accompany you to an SCA event, that's a very good idea. SCA events are very family friendly and who knows, they may actually enjoy themselves and become members.
              I remember being 17 (although that was over 35 years ago, when rocks were soft and the Dead Sea was only just a little sick) and I was a very rebellious teen that rode with bike gangs and raised merry H*ll.
              My dad was a methodist minister and gave me plenty of rope and as a typical PK, I practically hanged myself. We argued constantly over politics, religion, my choice of girlfriends, etc. We argued and argued and argued. Later on, we became best of friends when I was in my 20's and my dad was my best man at my wedding. When I became involved in the SCA, both of my parents would occassionally attend events and enjoyed themselves. My point?
              Right now, you think they are cramping your style and unfairly keeping you from what you want to do. Every teenager thinks that. In six months, you can do as you wish and make your own choices, but do yourself a favor when that time comes....don't shut your parents out. You may not agree wih them, but, they love you and are always going to care about you.
              -Geoffrei
            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                And I was never like Geoffrei... I did everything my parents wanted me to.
                But that does not mean I cannot agree with him on this point. Well put.

                James Cunningham
                The good son

                > Greetings Austin and the list,
                > While it may seem difficult and frustrating to abide by your parents
                wishes and rules, they are afterall your parents, they love you and have
                your best interests and safety in mind. While I may not agree with their
                sentiments regarding our group, I must respect their intentions.
                > Another member of this list suggested that you ask your parents to
                accompany you to an SCA event, that's a very good idea. SCA events are very
                family friendly and who knows, they may actually enjoy themselves and become
                members.
                > I remember being 17 (although that was over 35 years ago, when rocks
                were soft and the Dead Sea was only just a little sick) and I was a very
                rebellious teen that rode with bike gangs and raised merry H*ll.
                > My dad was a methodist minister and gave me plenty of rope and as a
                typical PK, I practically hanged myself. We argued constantly over politics,
                religion, my choice of girlfriends, etc. We argued and argued and argued.
                Later on, we became best of friends when I was in my 20's and my dad was my
                best man at my wedding. When I became involved in the SCA, both of my
                parents would occassionally attend events and enjoyed themselves. My point?
                > Right now, you think they are cramping your style and unfairly keeping you
                from what you want to do. Every teenager thinks that. In six months, you can
                do as you wish and make your own choices, but do yourself a favor when that
                time comes....don't shut your parents out. You may not agree wih them, but,
                they love you and are always going to care about you.
                > ->
                > Geoffrei

              • Carolus von Eulenhorst
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                  Actually, the warfare of the age DID lead to the concept of chivalry as we
                  practice it. The fact that that concept saw little if any practical
                  application at the time is irrelevant. What is important is what WE do
                  with the concept.
                  Carolus

                  At 12:49 PM 8/1/2005, you wrote:

                  >been.>>
                  >
                  >Yes. But you had written that the real warfare led to chivalry so you had
                  >been writing of the actually times not our practice of it.
                  >
                  >Kathy

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >

                  >--
                • Cian of Storvik
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                    I would probably ease into it.
                    As far as the SCA being "war minded". I would suggest that you look at
                    the SCA.ORG information page "OVERVIEW AND DESCRIPTION OF THE SCA". If
                    you spend any time in the SCA you will see that there is a living
                    history aspect to it, as well as the sporting qualities. Very few
                    people are in the SCA soley to whack people with a rattan stick.
                    Anyone that wants to join he SCA because they want to bash people will
                    either get very bored or very banned (for using excessive force).

                    I would mention that you have an interest in traditional target
                    Archery. Archery is a non-contact sport and not aggressive at all.
                    Concentration, hand-eye coordination and practice are key elements to
                    good target archery. Traditional archery is using bows like they would
                    have used in period over 100 years ago. Not the modern "gun bows" with
                    mechanical multiplying pulleys and hair-sights/peeps/trigger releases
                    that remove all the natural skills required to shoot a bow. The SCA is
                    one of the few organizations that not only aknowledge traditional bow
                    use, but actually promote their use and understanding.

                    If they are puzzled by your sudden interest in Archery, just pick-up
                    some articles from Maurice Thompson and leave them conspicuously about
                    the house. Maurice Thompson wrote very poetic annecdotes of archery
                    nearly 125 years ago in "Witchery of Archery" and many articles for
                    magazines and papers. Though he wrote of bow hunting and not target
                    archery, his revelations of observing nature in all of it's splender
                    drew in a new rennaissance of bow use over generations.

                    "Give me a fortnight of freedom in the woods of spring, and I will
                    find a freshness infinitely changeable, an originality varying with
                    every puff of the breeze. Give me an outing; you might as well, for
                    otherwise I shall take it by force; I must have it. And what is an
                    outing in the green woods to him who bears not the longbow?

                    Now, if you ask why the longbow is to be lugged in, I answer, because.
                    It goes, or I stay. I would rather delve at my desk, with the good yew
                    unstrung standing there in the corner beside the ancient tall clock,
                    than to undertake a ramble in the hill-country without that trusty
                    monochord across my arm. We have been boon companions these many
                    years, my bow and I, and it is now too late for a change of relation;
                    we go together into green solitudes and find the places where Diana's
                    footprints are yet almost visible, the spot, still warm, where Pan
                    took his noonday nap"

                    I would get them acclimated to the other aspects of the SCA before you
                    even allude to the fact that you are interested in combat.
                    "Combat" is no worse then Football, soccer, karate or other contact
                    sport. Combat will give you bruises to an extent (depending on the
                    amount and placement of the armor you wear), but the SCA takes very
                    serious measures to minimize medical injuries. And comparatively safe
                    compared to rugby, hockey or field hockey in my opinion.

                    Good luck and may all your arrows fly unerringly to their mark.
                    -Cian