Want to start archery, parental advisory

  • pickeringaustin
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 22, 2005
      Hail All,

      My name is Austin and I am really interested in joining the SCA and
      becoming a Calafian Combat Archer. My problem is that I am 17.5 and I
      am working on ways to convince my parents to let me go to local
      archery practices and not freak out about "combat" archery, they hate
      war. I have money to go out and get my own stuff, but if I do things
      behind their backs I will be out of a home when I turn 18(nice
      parents). Any help here would be most excellent in convincing them.

      A Thousand Thank

      -Austin
    • Lord Caedmon Wilson
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
        Your parents will be happy to know that we aren't really at "war" when
        fight a "war". Think of it as a giant mosh pit...with sticks.

        --
        Lord Caedmon Wilson

        Oaken Regional Youth Combat Marshal
        Crossbow Archery Champion, Barony Flaming Gryphon
        Rapier Champion, South Oaken Region
      • Carolus von Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
          Austin,
          I am the Caidan Master of Archers, responsible for Target Archery, not
          Combat Archery, but I may be able to help. As a Kingdom officer, I have
          direct insight into the goals and purposes of the organization. While we
          speak of "War" and "combat" and reflect a martial society, our purpose is
          to study history and society of the Western world prior to the 17th
          century. In was a contradictory time known both as "The age of Faith" and
          responsible for the development of the philosophical thought which lead to
          today's opposition to war, and a time of some of the most extended periods
          of armed conflict the world has seen. We study all of this, the arts of
          peace as well as the arts of war. We use a sport (a "martial art") to
          simulate the "war" part and talk of it in military terms. But this sport
          is essentially like Judo, fencing, Karate, or any of the other "martial
          arts" sports in the world today. The sport teaches discipline, teamwork,
          reliability, trustworthiness, and physical skill. It is not "war" in the
          real sense. In fact, most people I know have come to hate the idea of war
          in the real world because our activities have shown, in a very up-close and
          personal way, just what war means. Think of what we do as a teaching tool,
          one which teaches peace by showing in a safe manner just why war should be
          avoided. Please show them this message and ask them to email me if they
          have any questions.

          THL Carolus von Eulenhorst

          At 07:52 AM 7/22/2005, you wrote:

          >Hail All,
          >
          >My name is Austin and I am really interested in joining the SCA and
          >becoming a Calafian Combat Archer. My problem is that I am 17.5 and I
          >am working on ways to convince my parents to let me go to local
          >archery practices and not freak out about "combat" archery, they hate
          >war. I have money to go out and get my own stuff, but if I do things
          >behind their backs I will be out of a home when I turn 18(nice
          >parents). Any help here would be most excellent in convincing them.
          >
          >A Thousand Thank
          >
          >-Austin

          >Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          >--
        • Kay Newsom
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
            I'm new to this group also but I've been around the
            SCA for more that 10 years. I was an archery marshal
            in Meridies, was a combat archer (and will be again at
            the next Gulf Wars) and now live in the hinterlands of
            Ansteorra. While you parents may be totally against
            the idea of war, the wars of the time period we study
            also gave rise to the idea of chivalry. This is the
            main theme of the SCA, not war; to strive to become
            the living embodiment of an ideal often not found
            anywhere in today's "modern" society. Some of the the
            knightly virtures are strength, faith, charity, hope,
            humility and generosity. All women are to be treated
            with respect and gentility, not just those for whom
            beauty comes easy. Come to the aid of those less
            fortunate than yourself. Service, to do because you
            see the need. And to become a Bestowed (Knight,
            Laurel, Pelican) or a Royal Peer means your service
            has only just begun. And the bards around camp are
            not singing about murder, rape and drugs either.

            Caoilfionn
            protege to Countess Rhiannon of the Isle
            www.housedragonor.org

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • Scott B. Jaqua
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
              The Honorable Lord Carolus wrote a wonderfully thought out reply. And I
              believe him to be correct in just about every way. To that that I can
              only add my own feelings Austin.

              As a student of history (and most in the SCA are to greater or lessor
              degrees), I find myself sickened by the war and strife in the real
              world. It is proof positive that the only thing most people learn from
              history, is that they have learned nothing. We (as in our leaders) are
              still repeating the mistakes of the past. Nations and people continue to
              make war on each other for the same ancient hatreds and petty reasons,
              no mater how they dress it up for the media. (it's a statement of what
              we do, that so many SCA folk are also political activists)

              All that aside, I am also authorized in just about every Marshal
              Activity the SCA has to offer. In part to study the history of combat,
              in part as a way to safely funnel the stress and aggression that are
              part of the human condition. And having that outlet was very important
              as a young man. Now that I'm a little older, it's not so much about
              stress and aggression, as it is about testing my self. But these are
              both good reasons to engage in marshal activity. And that's not even
              taking into account the aspects of exercise and conditioning or the
              mental discipline. And those marshal activities have also served the
              purpose of leading me to greater study of history and it's artifacts.
              And that in turn has lead me to learn a new art/craft that has been a
              joyous creative outlet these last few years.

              As Carolus said, share these posts with your parents. Or better yet,
              have them come to a practice and talk to those that are teaching. You
              may not get the same answer from everyone; but, you should get the same
              feeling more then enough times for your folks to realize, that this
              isn't some sort of warrior cult. But rather a group of people that for
              the most part are trying to learn about the past by experiencing it.

              Don Njall Olaf Hagerson
            • Kaleyna
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                for whom beauty comes easy.>>>

                Well I think we know historically that this isn't the case. Women of a
                certain rank and class were treated well. Peasant women were fair game.

                As to the original question -

                Do your parents have a problem with target archery? You can always just
                shoot target archery, hone your skills, and then do combat archery when you
                are older and it is not a matter of asking your parents but an adult choice.
                I kind of think, the very well expressed notes about it not withstanding,
                that trying to convince your parents that this combat is good combat and not
                that nasty old regular war will get you nowhere. If you simply shoot for
                skill in hitting a target is can be along the lines of darts when explaining
                it to your folks. And you can also play up the historical aspects of the
                society and how you can learn about different cultures and the past.

                Kathy
              • Kay Newsom
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                  Kathy,
                  Remember this is the Middle Ages as it should have
                  been.

                  K.

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • Kaleyna
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                    >>>Kathy, Remember this is the Middle Ages as it should have
                    been.>>

                    Yes. But you had written that the real warfare led to chivalry so you had
                    been writing of the actually times not our practice of it.

                    Kathy
                  • ronan morton
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                      Greetings Austin,

                      I hope the best for you but you might try and bring your parents to a
                      practice and let them meet some of the people who already call the SCA home.
                      My advice to you is to never go behind their's or anyone else's back but
                      to be open about all that you do and that may impress them in itself. Most
                      of the people who come around to meet our shire are impressed that we know
                      so much about history and the skills from the time period that we portray.
                      Some people come to us thinking that we are a bunch of stick swinging jerks
                      who like pain. When most people learn that our shire has about a dozen
                      public school teachers in it and that a large part of the SCA is devoted to
                      education and the Arts they are very surprised. Worst case scenario be
                      patient and in 6 months you are free to join and participate as an adult.

                      Best of luck,
                      Ronan MacMorton
                    • Jeffrey Webb
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                        Greetings Austin and the list,
                        While it may seem difficult and frustrating to abide by your parents wishes and rules, they are afterall your parents, they love you and have your best interests and safety in mind. While I may not agree with their sentiments regarding our group, I must respect their intentions.
                        Another member of this list suggested that you ask your parents to accompany you to an SCA event, that's a very good idea. SCA events are very family friendly and who knows, they may actually enjoy themselves and become members.
                        I remember being 17 (although that was over 35 years ago, when rocks were soft and the Dead Sea was only just a little sick) and I was a very rebellious teen that rode with bike gangs and raised merry H*ll.
                        My dad was a methodist minister and gave me plenty of rope and as a typical PK, I practically hanged myself. We argued constantly over politics, religion, my choice of girlfriends, etc. We argued and argued and argued. Later on, we became best of friends when I was in my 20's and my dad was my best man at my wedding. When I became involved in the SCA, both of my parents would occassionally attend events and enjoyed themselves. My point?
                        Right now, you think they are cramping your style and unfairly keeping you from what you want to do. Every teenager thinks that. In six months, you can do as you wish and make your own choices, but do yourself a favor when that time comes....don't shut your parents out. You may not agree wih them, but, they love you and are always going to care about you.
                        -Geoffrei
                      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                          And I was never like Geoffrei... I did everything my parents wanted me to.
                          But that does not mean I cannot agree with him on this point. Well put.

                          James Cunningham
                          The good son

                          > Greetings Austin and the list,
                          > While it may seem difficult and frustrating to abide by your parents
                          wishes and rules, they are afterall your parents, they love you and have
                          your best interests and safety in mind. While I may not agree with their
                          sentiments regarding our group, I must respect their intentions.
                          > Another member of this list suggested that you ask your parents to
                          accompany you to an SCA event, that's a very good idea. SCA events are very
                          family friendly and who knows, they may actually enjoy themselves and become
                          members.
                          > I remember being 17 (although that was over 35 years ago, when rocks
                          were soft and the Dead Sea was only just a little sick) and I was a very
                          rebellious teen that rode with bike gangs and raised merry H*ll.
                          > My dad was a methodist minister and gave me plenty of rope and as a
                          typical PK, I practically hanged myself. We argued constantly over politics,
                          religion, my choice of girlfriends, etc. We argued and argued and argued.
                          Later on, we became best of friends when I was in my 20's and my dad was my
                          best man at my wedding. When I became involved in the SCA, both of my
                          parents would occassionally attend events and enjoyed themselves. My point?
                          > Right now, you think they are cramping your style and unfairly keeping you
                          from what you want to do. Every teenager thinks that. In six months, you can
                          do as you wish and make your own choices, but do yourself a favor when that
                          time comes....don't shut your parents out. You may not agree wih them, but,
                          they love you and are always going to care about you.
                          > ->
                          > Geoffrei

                        • Carolus von Eulenhorst
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                            Actually, the warfare of the age DID lead to the concept of chivalry as we
                            practice it. The fact that that concept saw little if any practical
                            application at the time is irrelevant. What is important is what WE do
                            with the concept.
                            Carolus

                            At 12:49 PM 8/1/2005, you wrote:

                            >been.>>
                            >
                            >Yes. But you had written that the real warfare led to chivalry so you had
                            >been writing of the actually times not our practice of it.
                            >
                            >Kathy

                            >Yahoo! Groups Links
                            >

                            >--
                          • Cian of Storvik
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 1, 2005
                              I would probably ease into it.
                              As far as the SCA being "war minded". I would suggest that you look at
                              the SCA.ORG information page "OVERVIEW AND DESCRIPTION OF THE SCA". If
                              you spend any time in the SCA you will see that there is a living
                              history aspect to it, as well as the sporting qualities. Very few
                              people are in the SCA soley to whack people with a rattan stick.
                              Anyone that wants to join he SCA because they want to bash people will
                              either get very bored or very banned (for using excessive force).

                              I would mention that you have an interest in traditional target
                              Archery. Archery is a non-contact sport and not aggressive at all.
                              Concentration, hand-eye coordination and practice are key elements to
                              good target archery. Traditional archery is using bows like they would
                              have used in period over 100 years ago. Not the modern "gun bows" with
                              mechanical multiplying pulleys and hair-sights/peeps/trigger releases
                              that remove all the natural skills required to shoot a bow. The SCA is
                              one of the few organizations that not only aknowledge traditional bow
                              use, but actually promote their use and understanding.

                              If they are puzzled by your sudden interest in Archery, just pick-up
                              some articles from Maurice Thompson and leave them conspicuously about
                              the house. Maurice Thompson wrote very poetic annecdotes of archery
                              nearly 125 years ago in "Witchery of Archery" and many articles for
                              magazines and papers. Though he wrote of bow hunting and not target
                              archery, his revelations of observing nature in all of it's splender
                              drew in a new rennaissance of bow use over generations.

                              "Give me a fortnight of freedom in the woods of spring, and I will
                              find a freshness infinitely changeable, an originality varying with
                              every puff of the breeze. Give me an outing; you might as well, for
                              otherwise I shall take it by force; I must have it. And what is an
                              outing in the green woods to him who bears not the longbow?

                              Now, if you ask why the longbow is to be lugged in, I answer, because.
                              It goes, or I stay. I would rather delve at my desk, with the good yew
                              unstrung standing there in the corner beside the ancient tall clock,
                              than to undertake a ramble in the hill-country without that trusty
                              monochord across my arm. We have been boon companions these many
                              years, my bow and I, and it is now too late for a change of relation;
                              we go together into green solitudes and find the places where Diana's
                              footprints are yet almost visible, the spot, still warm, where Pan
                              took his noonday nap"

                              I would get them acclimated to the other aspects of the SCA before you
                              even allude to the fact that you are interested in combat.
                              "Combat" is no worse then Football, soccer, karate or other contact
                              sport. Combat will give you bruises to an extent (depending on the
                              amount and placement of the armor you wear), but the SCA takes very
                              serious measures to minimize medical injuries. And comparatively safe
                              compared to rugby, hockey or field hockey in my opinion.

                              Good luck and may all your arrows fly unerringly to their mark.
                              -Cian