Re: Introduction

  • Herr Conrad von Zollern
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2005
      Greetings Gwyn,

      Until the discovery of the Mary Rose in the late 1970s little
      physical evidence of medieval arrow shafts was known. Although some
      bows were preserved in various armories their ammunition was largely
      ignored. Added to this is that an arrow is mostly biodegradable and
      flammable: the shaft and fletching tend not to survive.

      Many arrow points have been recovered in various condition, but I am
      only aware of two medieval arrow shafts to have survived (with the
      exception of those found on the Mary Rose, which while they
      are "period" I consider them to be 'post-Medieval').

      Period arrows really aren't all that common...

      Two sources:

      The Chapter House Arrow
      The Muniment Room and Library
      Westminster Abbey
      London, SW1P 3PA

      The Mary Rose Arrow shafts
      The Armouries
      H.M. Tower of London
      EC3

      Period books on archery aren't all that common either...

      Two primary sources are:

      "The Westminster Abbey Arrow"

      and

      Toxophilus, by Robert Aschram.

      Unless you plan on traveling to Great Britain, the report done on the
      Westminster Abbey Arrow is probably as good as you are going to get,
      and it was uploaded into the files section of the group a few years
      ago (and it is still there, I just checked)...

      Toxophilus is still in print is some versions, mostly reprinted from
      the Reverend Dr. Gile's edition of Roger Ascham's complete works...
      It is full of documentation about what woods were preferred, types of
      feathers used for fletching, and all sorts of other very useful
      information...

      Period art depicting archery isn't uncommon, but what is depicted
      frequently is not even possible, hense it is much less than
      even 'probably' accurate...

      So, you have very few good primary sources, many secondary sources,
      and a whole bunch of tertiary (or worse) sources...

      Be warned, there are also a whole bunch of people out there who are
      self-proclaimed 'experts' that will tell you all sorts of things...

      Listen politely, then ask them nicely to document their statements...

      Ich dien,

      Herr Conrad von Zollern

      <-----{{{ <-----{{{ <-----{{{ <-----{{{

      "Gary Henderson" <cucymry@w...> wrote:
      > Greetings to the fine folk of this list. I just discovered this
      excellent resource and thought I should briefly introduce myself. I
      am Lord Gwyn CuCymry from the Shire of Silfren Mere ( Rochester MN)
      in the Kingdom of Northshield. I have been shooting for about the
      last 4 years mostly with a recurve but I am looking into studying
      horsebows and their shooting teqnique. Perhaps someone here can help
      me with a small problem I am having I am in the middle of
      constructing an late period arrow from scratch but I am having
      problems with finding documentation. Any help would be grateful
      > Thanks
      > Gwyn
    • Silwyth Ulfvaldr
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7, 2007
        Ves Heil,
        My name is Silywth Ulfvaldr and I live in the Kingdom of Gleann
        Abhann. I currently reside in the Shire of Dragoun's Weal but soon
        shall move to Iron ox. By way of introductions I am lacking a thought
        of what to put, so just feel free to ask what you will of me.