Re: [SCA-Archery] source for crossbow bolts needed

  • woreoutoldfart@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2005
      Dmitrii,

      TRy this outfit. I got quotes from them when I was putting together an
      archery program for my daughter's scout program. They are reasonable and
      competitive. Email to the attention of Gary.

      Click here: Mountain West Trading Post, Carhartt Clothing and Sporting Goods

      Boaz

    • RJ bachner
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2005
        I can help ya out. Email me and we can talk.

        Ragi

        ragi@...

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 12, 2005
          i can also help with bolts i have materials on hand

          joseph MacKay

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "RJ bachner" <ragiwarmbear@s...>

          Archery@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
          > Of Dmitrii Zhirov
          > Sent: Friday, July 08, 2005 9:41 PM
          > To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [SCA-Archery] source for crossbow bolts needed
          >
          > Hello all,
          >
          > I am just beginning my foray into the world of target archery, and
          am in fact
          > acquiring my first crossbow (non-period :-( ) very shortly.
          > I'd eventually like to get into making my own bolts (probably when
          I get/make a
          > period bow), but for my immediate need, I'm looking for a source
          for good,
          > pre-made, reasonably-priced target bolts. Any suggestions? I'd like
          these ASAP,
          > as I want to get a fair amount of practice in before Pennsic.
          Thanks in
          > advance...
          >
          > In Service,
          >
          > Dmitrii Zhirov

          > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by Medieval Mart Get
          Medieval at Mad
          > Macsen's http://www.medievalmart.com/

          list]

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
        • James Koch
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 12, 2005
            Dmitrii,

            Since you are using a modern crossbow it is no doubt set up to use 3 fletch
            bolts. Your best bet is to obtain a box of 11/32" shaft arrows, a set of
            field points, and a tapering tool. You can buy these at many archery shops
            or over the web. Cut the shafts to about 21", taper the ends, and attach
            the points with hot glue. You will have to cut off the nocks, so you will
            need arrows with enough wood behind the fletch. I cut down old arrows in
            this way all the time to use as crossbow bolts. The only thing you have to
            be careful about is the cut nocks. These have to be sawed perfectly flat
            and sanded smooth. Once sanded they can be sealed with a good wood
            finish. If not cut and sanded flat they will not fly right.

            Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)