source for crossbow bolts needed

  • Dmitrii Zhirov
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2005
      Hello all,

      I am just beginning my foray into the world of target archery, and am
      in fact acquiring my first crossbow (non-period :-( ) very shortly.
      I'd eventually like to get into making my own bolts (probably when I
      get/make a period bow), but for my immediate need, I'm looking for a
      source for good, pre-made, reasonably-priced target bolts. Any
      suggestions? I'd like these ASAP, as I want to get a fair amount of
      practice in before Pennsic. Thanks in advance...

      In Service,

      Dmitrii Zhirov
    • woreoutoldfart@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2005
        Dmitrii,

        TRy this outfit. I got quotes from them when I was putting together an
        archery program for my daughter's scout program. They are reasonable and
        competitive. Email to the attention of Gary.

        Click here: Mountain West Trading Post, Carhartt Clothing and Sporting Goods

        Boaz

      • RJ bachner
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 12, 2005
          I can help ya out. Email me and we can talk.

          Ragi

          ragi@...

          I am just beginning my foray into the world of target archery, and am in fact
          acquiring my first crossbow (non-period :-( ) very shortly.
          I'd eventually like to get into making my own bolts (probably when I get/make a
          period bow), but for my immediate need, I'm looking for a source for good,
          pre-made, reasonably-priced target bolts. Any suggestions? I'd like these ASAP,
          as I want to get a fair amount of practice in before Pennsic. Thanks in
          advance...

          In Service,

          Dmitrii Zhirov

          Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by Medieval Mart Get Medieval at Mad
          Macsen's http://www.medievalmart.com/

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Joseph
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 12, 2005
            i can also help with bolts i have materials on hand

            joseph MacKay

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "RJ bachner" <ragiwarmbear@s...>

            Archery@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
            > Of Dmitrii Zhirov
            > Sent: Friday, July 08, 2005 9:41 PM
            > To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [SCA-Archery] source for crossbow bolts needed
            >
            > Hello all,
            >
            > I am just beginning my foray into the world of target archery, and
            am in fact
            > acquiring my first crossbow (non-period :-( ) very shortly.
            > I'd eventually like to get into making my own bolts (probably when
            I get/make a
            > period bow), but for my immediate need, I'm looking for a source
            for good,
            > pre-made, reasonably-priced target bolts. Any suggestions? I'd like
            these ASAP,
            > as I want to get a fair amount of practice in before Pennsic.
            Thanks in
            > advance...
            >
            > In Service,
            >
            > Dmitrii Zhirov

            > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by Medieval Mart Get
            Medieval at Mad
            > Macsen's http://www.medievalmart.com/

            list]

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
          • James Koch
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 12, 2005
              Dmitrii,

              Since you are using a modern crossbow it is no doubt set up to use 3 fletch
              bolts. Your best bet is to obtain a box of 11/32" shaft arrows, a set of
              field points, and a tapering tool. You can buy these at many archery shops
              or over the web. Cut the shafts to about 21", taper the ends, and attach
              the points with hot glue. You will have to cut off the nocks, so you will
              need arrows with enough wood behind the fletch. I cut down old arrows in
              this way all the time to use as crossbow bolts. The only thing you have to
              be careful about is the cut nocks. These have to be sawed perfectly flat
              and sanded smooth. Once sanded they can be sealed with a good wood
              finish. If not cut and sanded flat they will not fly right.

              Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)