RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: splicing arrows

  • Kristine Casper
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2005
      I use Purple Heart, Red Heart, Cocobolo (although this wood is tricky to
      work in a footing), Bubinga, and a few other exotic hard woods. I had
      wanted to try Ebony, but was advised that it is too "greasy" to work well as
      a footing (same problem as the Cocobolo, but do-able). Poplar also works -
      I though it would look smashing on a Walnut shaft - but the wood density is
      not so different that it would probably be anything more than ornamental.

      Wood density is important if you want: a) a stronger (relatively) front end
      to your arrow, ideally to withstand the whacks it will take; and b) to add
      front weight to your arrow and change the balance point forward. I find the
      second matter to be most important for my shooting - but that's just me.
      The same could be achieved with a heavier point.

      Typically, I use an eight-inch blank with a square cross-section
      (~3/8"-1/2"), split them corner to corner a depth of five inches, so three
      inches will remain solid at the point end and five will taper up the shaft.
      When you plane the footing down is when you make it straight. Chucking the
      nock end in a power drill and spinning it through a sized/sand-paper lined
      channel makes it very round, smooth, and you can taper it to whatever
      dimensions you wish. If you do this, do it before you cut the shaft to
      length; you'll want to cut off the chucked end, as it will be somewhat
      deformed. Therefore, if you want to add more than three inches to the arrow
      length (32+3=35, but in your case that's not long enough after you cut at
      least an inch off nock end), I'd extend the length of the footing, rather
      than shorten the split length. Much shorter than 5" to taper the shaft and
      footing together makes for too steep a join and results in splitting the
      footing.

      As for staining the wood a different color before you bind the two pieces
      together, I've contemplated that, but can't figure out how I'd touch it up
      after I planed/sanded the roughness out of the footing (and the stained
      surface along with it). I foresee lots of touch-up staining, which would
      likely bleed onto the shaft and might end up being more work that it would
      be worth. If you have some other ideas on how to do that, I'm interested.
      Just imagine the colors!

      Laebeth