RE: [SCA-Archery] peiod target points

  • RJ bachner
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 27, 2005
      Try googling ace archery tackle and look up their bodkin points for targets.
      Very cool and sca legal. But spendy.

      Ragi

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 27, 2005
        I think "target" shooting wasn't much of a sport until the 17th-18th
        century. Until then, it was more of a martial or victualing activity,
        and when you did practice you probably practiced with the war steeles
        or hunting tips that you normally would be shooting.

        Hector Cole will ship to the USA. He makes roving tips (The activity
        of roving about the country side shooting stumps, fallen trees and the
        like), but they will probably bounce right off of foam targets. And
        you will pay a hefty price in shipping. He does do custom work, and a
        very large assortment of styles that he makes, which might contain
        something you would want. His "Target heads" look like modern target
        heads (the german brass ones), but hand forged steel and though they
        are the cheapest point he makes, they cost 5 quid ea. (about $9.50).

        I have a few Hector Cole bodkins (hardened steel) and I agree you
        wouldn't want to use them anywhere that you had a backstop netting, or
        something you didn't want torn up/killed. They are not exactly razor
        sharp (like a modern broad head), but still like adding a heavy dagger
        tip to the end of an arrow.
        -Cian of Storvik

        > does anyone here know of a supplier for period targt points, or at
        > least accepted by the sca.
      • Eadric Anstapa
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 27, 2005
          >>does anyone here know of a supplier for period targt points, or at
          >>least accepted by the sca.

          Ace makes a "Classic Point" but they are mondo expensive. They also
          make some nice brass points.
          Here is a Tiny URL for their web page *http://tinyurl.com/b77l6
          *
          3Rivers has brass points
          http://www.3riversarchery.com/ListProduct.asp?offset=8

          and they have some medieval replicas
          http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=13&s=11&p=0&i=4355-01
          <http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=13&s=11&p=0&i=4355-01>

          Regards,

          -EA

        • blooney@wi.rr.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 27, 2005
            Joseph,

            For the "modbods" Laebeth is talking about the link is --

            http://www.traditional-archery-scandinavia.com/englisch/heads.html

            They're item TA. They are really nice looking! If I recall they're a
            little heavier than the "standard" 125 grain point.

            William of Mann

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 27, 2005
              Ascham writes of the sport of target shooting and that he taught princess
              Elizabeth to shoot and that her father, Henry Tudor also shot at
              targets. Other references also speak of archery as a sport of nobles and
              talk of shooting at targets.
              Carolus

              At 08:32 PM 6/27/2005, you wrote:

              >I think "target" shooting wasn't much of a sport until the 17th-18th
              >century. Until then, it was more of a martial or victualing activity,
              >and when you did practice you probably practiced with the war steeles
              >or hunting tips that you normally would be shooting.
              >
              >Hector Cole will ship to the USA. He makes roving tips (The activity
              >of roving about the country side shooting stumps, fallen trees and the
              >like), but they will probably bounce right off of foam targets. And
              >you will pay a hefty price in shipping. He does do custom work, and a
              >very large assortment of styles that he makes, which might contain
              >something you would want. His "Target heads" look like modern target
              >heads (the german brass ones), but hand forged steel and though they
              >are the cheapest point he makes, they cost 5 quid ea. (about $9.50).
              >
              >I have a few Hector Cole bodkins (hardened steel) and I agree you
              >wouldn't want to use them anywhere that you had a backstop netting, or
              >something you didn't want torn up/killed. They are not exactly razor
              >sharp (like a modern broad head), but still like adding a heavy dagger
              >tip to the end of an arrow.
              >-Cian of Storvik
              >
              > > does anyone here know of a supplier for period targt points, or at
              > > least accepted by the sca.

              >Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              >--
            • Siegfried
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 28, 2005
                On 6/27/05, Cian of Storvik <terry@...> wrote:
                > I think "target" shooting wasn't much of a sport until the 17th-18th
                > century. Until then, it was more of a martial or victualing activity,
                > and when you did practice you probably practiced with the war steeles
                > or hunting tips that you normally would be shooting.

                Actually Cian ... there is much documentation of target shooting in
                16th (and 15th) centuries. Not the least of which is Ascham's book
                which speaks solely of this.

                Also there is especially lots of documentation of 16th century
                crossbow target shooting, with entire ranges being built for it's
                purpose (some really nice illustrations of which exist as well).

                I have even seen documentation (sorry, dunno from where now),
                documenting a 'roving range' type shoot in period. With various
                differently shaped targets set up that you went to and shot at.

                Siegfried

                Kingdom of Atlantia -Deputy Kingdom Earl Marshal for Target Archery
                http://archery.atlantia.sca.org/
              • Nest verch Tangwistel
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 28, 2005
                  --- Siegfried <SiegfriedFaust@...> wrote:
                  > Actually Cian ... there is much documentation of target shooting in
                  > 16th (and 15th) centuries. Not the least of which is Ascham's book
                  > which speaks solely of this.
                  >
                  > Also there is especially lots of documentation of 16th century
                  > crossbow target shooting, with entire ranges being built for it's
                  > purpose (some really nice illustrations of which exist as well).
                  >
                  > I have even seen documentation (sorry, dunno from where now),
                  > documenting a 'roving range' type shoot in period. With various
                  > differently shaped targets set up that you went to and shot at.
                  >
                  > Siegfried

                  A long time ago, in a galaxy far....wait wrong story sorry.

                  A long time ago someone showed us a manuscript illumination which appeared
                  to show archers, crossbowman I think, shooting at what looked like a giant
                  dart board mounted on a roofed wall. Does anybody have a link to that
                  picture anymore? I am having ideas about a period shoot using a copy of
                  it.

                  Nest

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Cian of Storvik
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 28, 2005
                    I do stand corrected, as I'm not an auhority on the subject. But in my
                    readings, I've never seen a target tip or reference to one in the
                    English pre 1600 period. All of the tips, even on pictures of archers
                    at tournament, look like they have bodkins or leaf points, and not the
                    bullet or field tipping like we have on our modern target points.
                    (Woodblock prints and illustrations, the points are exceptionally long
                    like bodkins, or leaf shaped, not like our stubby bullet tips.
                    Artistic license maybe? And roving tips I know where used in the
                    1800's, but I had never seen a reference to the tips prior to that
                    period).
                    Medieval tournaments, I was assuming were competed in by military and
                    hunting champions (people who would have shot leaf or bodkin points on
                    a regular basis). I didn't realize that the populace
                    of the middle ages had so much free time that they could "target
                    shoot" as a liesurely activity nor that there was so much
                    documentation for people that did not shoot people or animals but
                    practiced shooting targets for target shooting sake.
                    I can imagine that such great quantitites of individuals who were
                    competition shooters would of course had a need for a "Target tip",
                    that would extract easily from a butt. Unlike a bodkin or leaf point.
                    And logically there must be an example of
                    these tips somewhere.
                    -Cian

                    > I have even seen documentation (sorry, dunno from where now),
                    > documenting a 'roving range' type shoot in period. With various
                    > differently shaped targets set up that you went to and shot at.
                  • agnarr
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 28, 2005
                      I believe your referring to the picture from the Hennessy Book of Hours by
                      Simon Bening from the 1530's. The manuscript picture of the Corssbows is
                      located at:

                      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/AHTBQhFMLsG0t5tbOh89LjDTg4cZ484dwSAXmo-mSx3X1nckeVwBXBztA9wNDX0VOpaAeQFmQitULau2iBkuAy9Cg5Ln/Targets/xbow%20target.jpg

                      (I looked in the groups archived messages and the original posting to this
                      was message #13680 back back in Oct of 2003.)

                      I hope this is the right picture that your looking for.

                      Agnarr

                      > A long time ago, in a galaxy far....wait wrong story sorry.
                      >
                      > A long time ago someone showed us a manuscript illumination which appeared
                      > to show archers, crossbowman I think, shooting at what looked like a giant
                      > dart board mounted on a roofed wall. Does anybody have a link to that
                      > picture anymore? I am having ideas about a period shoot using a copy of
                      > it.
                      >
                      > Nest
                    • Nest verch Tangwistel
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 28, 2005
                        Excellent, thank you very much. That is indeed the one I was referring to.
                        Now I just have to keep from losing the reference again.

                        Nest

                        > I believe your referring to the picture from the Hennessy Book of Hours
                        > by
                        > Simon Bening from the 1530's. The manuscript picture of the Corssbows
                        > is
                        > located at:

                        http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/AHTBQhFMLsG0t5tbOh89LjDTg4cZ484dwSAXmo-mSx3X1nckeVwBXBztA9wNDX0VOpaAeQFmQitULau2iBkuAy9Cg5Ln/Targets/xbow%20target.jpg

                        > (I looked in the groups archived messages and the original posting to
                        > this
                        > was message #13680 back back in Oct of 2003.)
                        >
                        > I hope this is the right picture that your looking for.
                        >
                        > Agnarr
                        >

                        > > A long time ago, in a galaxy far....wait wrong story sorry.
                        > >
                        > > A long time ago someone showed us a manuscript illumination which
                        > appeared
                        > > to show archers, crossbowman I think, shooting at what looked like a
                        > giant
                        > > dart board mounted on a roofed wall. Does anybody have a link to that
                        > > picture anymore? I am having ideas about a period shoot using a copy
                        > of
                        > > it.
                        > >
                        > > Nest

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Sports
                        http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
                      • jameswolfden
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 28, 2005
                          Greetings,

                          I read the initial post differently. I thought the gentle was looking
                          for arrowhead that looked like a medieval tip (bodkin, leaf, or
                          whatever) but which would be allowed on a SCA target range. Something
                          that the line marshall isn't going to freak out about and something
                          that won't destroy the target and backing or punch through everything
                          and fly way down field.

                          One of the earliest pictures of target practise is the luttrel
                          psalter. The arrowheads used in the picture are probably some type of
                          roving head but they don't look they would be useful in hunting big
                          game. It appears as cross between blunt and target point.

                          Ascham seemed to favour some arrow described as similiar to a spoon.
                          This allowed an archer to anchor using the arrowhead as the anchor
                          point (draw until the bow hand can feel the arrowhead). This method
                          of anchoring also pops up in many chinese archery documents.

                          James Wolfden

                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Cian of Storvik" <terry@f...>
                          wrote:
                          > I do stand corrected, as I'm not an auhority on the subject. But in
                          my
                          > readings, I've never seen a target tip or reference to one in the
                          > English pre 1600 period. All of the tips, even on pictures of
                          archers
                          > at tournament, look like they have bodkins or leaf points, and not
                          the
                          > bullet or field tipping like we have on our modern target points.
                          > (Woodblock prints and illustrations, the points are exceptionally
                          long
                          > like bodkins, or leaf shaped, not like our stubby bullet tips.
                          > Artistic license maybe? And roving tips I know where used in the
                          > 1800's, but I had never seen a reference to the tips prior to that
                          > period).
                          > Medieval tournaments, I was assuming were competed in by military
                          and
                          > hunting champions (people who would have shot leaf or bodkin points
                          on
                          > a regular basis). I didn't realize that the populace
                          > of the middle ages had so much free time that they could "target
                          > shoot" as a liesurely activity nor that there was so much
                          > documentation for people that did not shoot people or animals but
                          > practiced shooting targets for target shooting sake.
                          > I can imagine that such great quantitites of individuals who were
                          > competition shooters would of course had a need for a "Target tip",
                          > that would extract easily from a butt. Unlike a bodkin or leaf
                          point.
                          > And logically there must be an example of
                          > these tips somewhere.
                          > -Cian
                          >
                          > > I have even seen documentation (sorry, dunno from where now),
                          > > documenting a 'roving range' type shoot in period. With various
                          > > differently shaped targets set up that you went to and shot at.
                        • J. Hughes
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 28, 2005
                            There was extensive target practice, and, from the
                            13th century on, competitions against targets. This
                            was the essence of the Shutzenverine that had (inside
                            the walls) archery ranges and annual Schutzenfests.
                            There are a large number of pictures of such ranges
                            and shoots in the 15th and 16th centuries. The average
                            burger did not regularly shoot anything live, but
                            regularly practiced and shot at targets.

                            Charles O'Connor

                            --- Cian of Storvik <terry@...> wrote:

                            > I do stand corrected, as I'm not an auhority on the
                            > subject. But in my
                            > readings, I've never seen a target tip or reference
                            > to one in the
                            > English pre 1600 period. All of the tips, even on
                            > pictures of archers
                            > at tournament, look like they have bodkins or leaf
                            > points, and not the
                            > bullet or field tipping like we have on our modern
                            > target points.
                            > (Woodblock prints and illustrations, the points are
                            > exceptionally long
                            > like bodkins, or leaf shaped, not like our stubby
                            > bullet tips.
                            > Artistic license maybe? And roving tips I know where
                            > used in the
                            > 1800's, but I had never seen a reference to the tips
                            > prior to that
                            > period).
                            > Medieval tournaments, I was assuming were competed
                            > in by military and
                            > hunting champions (people who would have shot leaf
                            > or bodkin points on
                            > a regular basis). I didn't realize that the populace
                            > of the middle ages had so much free time that they
                            > could "target
                            > shoot" as a liesurely activity nor that there was so
                            > much
                            > documentation for people that did not shoot people
                            > or animals but
                            > practiced shooting targets for target shooting sake.
                            > I can imagine that such great quantitites of
                            > individuals who were
                            > competition shooters would of course had a need for
                            > a "Target tip",
                            > that would extract easily from a butt. Unlike a
                            > bodkin or leaf point.
                            > And logically there must be an example of
                            > these tips somewhere.
                            > -Cian

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Michael Scherrer
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 28, 2005
                              Need some help here..
                              What books should I look for, for infomation on these shoots.
                              If you tell me to look up Schotzenfests it will not help, don't read
                              German.
                              Thomas

                            • blkknighti@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 28, 2005
                                The following is from an article I'd written some years back on period
                                arrowheads which included target points.I can't find my notes or sources but I
                                assure you I didn't make the information up. The artricle also had an illustration
                                ( again I can't remember the source) of a period target point which is refered
                                to as a "pile". It seems to have been constructed by simply taking a
                                trangular peice of metal and hammering it to a cone to fit the shaft. I recently
                                tried to buy one at auction for my collection (but was out bid) and it seemed to
                                be constructed in this manner. I know none of this is much help in the way of
                                documentation but I thought it would be of interest and certianly is
                                reasonable as undocumented information. Still, I have been hesitant to mention as I
                                don't have the time to try to document this.

                                "There were many varieties of arrowheads used during the medieval period from
                                the pile, to the bodkin to the broadhead depending on the specific
                                application, for example to practice, to hunt or to pierce armor in military
                                applications.
                                The Pile and Blunt
                                Designed to cause minimal damage to targets, piles and blunts fit close to
                                the shaft of the arrow, and they were lighter with no cutting surface or barbs.
                                The tip was sometimes rounded or "blunted" to reduce penetration.
                                There was a proviso in the Assize of Arms of 1180 that was renewed in 1252,
                                during the reign of Henry III which stated that those who possessed bows and
                                arrows could only fit them with broadheads if they lived outside the vast areas
                                of the Royal Forest. Those who lived within, must only fit their arrows with
                                blunts or piles. The ineffectiveness of blunts and piles for hunting made
                                poaching the Kings deer difficult."
                                Richard

                              • agincort@juno.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 29, 2005
                                  >There was extensive target practice, and, from the
                                  >13th century on, competitions against targets.

                                  "A series of statutes passed in the 14th and 15th centuries banned a
                                  large number of field sports and other games in order to protect regular
                                  archery practise. Edward IV passed a law that every Engishman from the
                                  age of 16 to 60 should own a longbow (of his own height) and to practice
                                  every Sunday after church and on feast days."

                                  http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/home/cs-archeo-research/cs-archeo-surv/c
                                  s-archeo-surv-archery.htm
                                  Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe - Midrealm Forester, OP
                                  "From the point of view of an arrow, chain mail can
                                  be thought of as a series of loosely connected holes." -Terry Pratchett

                                • J. Hughes
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 30, 2005
                                    This was parelled with laws in France, and in the
                                    cities of both the Empire and Italy. The requirements
                                    for militia archery practice in the Iberian kingdoms
                                    date from at least the 13th century. Though most of
                                    these laws specified crossbow.

                                    Charles O'Connor

                                    --- agincort@... wrote:

                                    > >There was extensive target practice, and, from the
                                    > >13th century on, competitions against targets.
                                    >
                                    > "A series of statutes passed in the 14th and 15th
                                    > centuries banned a
                                    > large number of field sports and other games in
                                    > order to protect regular
                                    > archery practise. Edward IV passed a law that every
                                    > Engishman from the
                                    > age of 16 to 60 should own a longbow (of his own
                                    > height) and to practice
                                    > every Sunday after church and on feast days."

                                    http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/home/cs-archeo-research/cs-archeo-surv/c
                                    > s-archeo-surv-archery.htm

                                    > Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe - Midrealm Forester, OP
                                    > "From the point of view of an arrow, chain mail can
                                    > be thought of as a series of loosely connected
                                    > holes." -Terry Pratchett

                                    > removed]

                                    > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by
                                    > Medieval Mart
                                    > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's
                                    > http://www.medievalmart.com/

                                    > leave this list]
                                    >
                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    __________________________________
                                    Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                                    http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
                                  • Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 30, 2005
                                      > Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:57:32 -0400
                                      > From: agincort@...
                                      >Subject: Re: period target points
                                      >
                                      >>There was extensive target practice, and, from the
                                      >>13th century on, competitions against targets.
                                      >
                                      >"A series of statutes passed in the 14th and 15th centuries banned a
                                      >large number of field sports and other games in order to protect regular
                                      >archery practise. Edward IV passed a law that every Engishman from the
                                      >age of 16 to 60 should own a longbow (of his own height) and to practice
                                      >every Sunday after church and on feast days."

                                      ...and I believe also was that age group could practice at no less than 200yds...

                                      Do I remember that quote right, or am I thinking of another...

                                      Godwin