Re: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 1992

  • Terri & Gary
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 2005
      Hello all!
      I'm from the Midrealm and we're thinking about attending Black Diamond event
      in Atlantia (Bueno Vista, VA), since it's a park, will there be archery and
      is there anybody nearby that would be able to crash us? I found out it's
      only 6 hours from us.
      Please contact privately or not. Thanks!

      Roewynne

      From: Nate Prentice <nateprentice@...>
      2. Re: plastic bows for combat archery
      From: blkknighti@...
      3. PSE and AIM bows
      From: "Mike Emmendorfer" <methor44@...>
      4. RE: plastic bows for combat archery
      From: "Kaleyna" <kaleyna@...>
      5. Re: Changing your nock point
      From: Carl West <carl.west@...>
      6. Re: PSE and AIM bows
      From: "Cian of Storvik" <terry@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:44:21 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Nate Prentice <nateprentice@...>
      Subject: plastic bows for combat archery

      I've been looking around for a plastic bow that can be used for combat
      archery and is at or under 35# and built for someone with a 30# draw.
      Anybody have sources? I want plastic so people don't break it while
      stomping around.

      Alisdar the Deaf Piper

      I Kings 1:40: And all the people came up after him,and the people piped
      with pipes and rejoiced with great joy, so that the earth rent with the
      sound of them.

      Message: 2
      Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:14:20 EDT
      From: blkknighti@...
      Subject: Re: plastic bows for combat archery

      M'lord,
      a better place for Combat Archery questions is [SCA-MissileCombat].
      I believe there is a 28" max on combat arrows so poundage at 30" is not
      relevant. I also think the poundage is 30# @ 28". Somebody correct me if I'm
      wrong.
      As for the bow, I would suggest and strongly reccommend the black Titan
      "recurve". available at Three Rivers Archery online.
      Richard
      In a message dated 6/23/05 10:47:26 AM, nateprentice@... writes:

      > I've been looking around for a plastic bow that can be used for combat
      > archery and is at or under 35# and built for someone with a 30# draw.
      > Anybody
      > have sources? I want plastic so people don't break it while stomping
      > around.
      >
      > Alisdar the Deaf Piper

      Message: 3
      Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:30:52 -0000
      From: "Mike Emmendorfer" <methor44@...>
      Subject: PSE and AIM bows

      Hello again.

      This group has been a wealth of info for me so I am back again for
      more.

      I have seem some PSE and AIM bows that I like. All take downs. I
      was wondering what this group thought of them?

      They seem to be alot of bow for the money.

      And the nice thing is they appear to meet most if not all my needs.

      I am financially challenged at the moment and while I would love a
      high end Bear , Martin or Black Widow that is not in the cards.

      So... what say you all?

      Can you also recommend a place to buy them on the net? I am in
      Michigan and if you want anything under 45# pull you have to look at
      a kids bow. They seem to think only hunting when they stock bows.

      Thanks again.

      Mike E, of Stormvale, Pentamere, Middle Kingdom.

      Message: 4
      Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:27:11 -0700
      From: "Kaleyna" <kaleyna@...>

      >>>I want plastic so people don't break it while stomping around.>>>

      You can get inexpensive bows like that on eBay.

      Kathy

      Message: 5
      Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:27:59 -0400
      From: Carl West <carl.west@...>
      Subject: Re: Changing your nock point

      Cian of Storvik wrote:

      > Usually it's okay to have the nock point slightly high (some
      > traditional archery sites actually recommend it). You just don't want
      > the nock point really high or too low. Use a bow square or carpenter
      > square to line it up 1/8" to 1/4" above the rest (if nocking the arrow
      > under the nock point).
      > -Cian of Storvik

      That 1/8" to 1/4" should be measured from under the nocked arrow. Yes?
      Otherwise you will be driving the nock end of the arrow _onto_ the shelf
      and most likely causing porpoising as the arrow leaves the bow. (and a
      lot of arrow-on-bow noise)

      My bows with arrow shelves I've set up with about a 1/4" under the arrow.

      On my shelfless bows I use about 3/8", I shoot off my bare hand and that
      3/8" _really_ improves the comfort level, any lower than that and I
      start getting scuffed up. If there's any porpoising, it's very minor.
      YMMV, one set-up uses heavy bodkins on maple shafts out of a ~70# longbow.

      -- Fritz

      Carl West
      mailto:carl.west@...
      http://carl.west.home.comcast.net
      ----------------------------------
      Thinking outside the box - Good
      Pooping outside the box - Bad

      Message: 6
      Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 05:15:50 -0000
      From: "Cian of Storvik" <terry@...>
      Subject: Re: PSE and AIM bows

      I have a PSE buckeye in 30# for combat use (available upto 35#).
      Prices are around $90-$100.
      . I believe the cheapest I saw them for was at womenwhohunt.com
      I'm not a woman, nor do I hunt, but I'm not too proud to spend my
      money there. The Buckeye 62" is $85.
      (I believe they had a special last month and were only like $73, but
      it appears to be over.)
      You can also get them from Cabelas. They are $90 through Cabelas but
      they do not sell the 35# model.
      Do not confuse the Buckeye with the Buckeye Jr. (The Jr. is only 8"
      shorter, but the weight is measured at 14" not 28") The AIM Bullseye
      is the exact same bow as the Buckeye (same manufacturer, different
      label) but tends to be about $10-$20 more.
      -Cian