Re: [SCA-Archery] Changing your nock point

  • Carl West
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 22, 2005
      Cian of Storvik wrote:

      > Usually it's okay to have the nock point slightly high (some
      > traditional archery sites actually recommend it). You just don't want
      > the nock point really high or too low. Use a bow square or carpenter
      > square to line it up 1/8" to 1/4" above the rest (if nocking the arrow
      > under the nock point).
      > -Cian of Storvik

      That 1/8" to 1/4" should be measured from under the nocked arrow. Yes?
      Otherwise you will be driving the nock end of the arrow _onto_ the shelf
      and most likely causing porpoising as the arrow leaves the bow. (and a
      lot of arrow-on-bow noise)

      My bows with arrow shelves I've set up with about a 1/4" under the arrow.

      On my shelfless bows I use about 3/8", I shoot off my bare hand and that
      3/8" _really_ improves the comfort level, any lower than that and I
      start getting scuffed up. If there's any porpoising, it's very minor.
      YMMV, one set-up uses heavy bodkins on maple shafts out of a ~70# longbow.

      -- Fritz

      Carl West
      mailto:carl.west@...
      http://carl.west.home.comcast.net