Re: [SCA-Archery] Covering holes.

  • Nate Prentice
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 22, 2005
      How do you guys cover holes on your modern recurve bows? I have brass (?) fittings for a quiver and stabilizer. I will never use either with this bow. How do you guys cover it to make it look more period (my person is 16th century Scottish).

      Nate

      I Kings 1:40: And all the people came up after him,and the people piped with pipes and rejoiced with great joy, so that the earth rent with the sound of them.

    • William Arwemakere
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 22, 2005
        My understanding is that the "holes" that require covering are the machined openings in modern aluminum-risered recurves (ie: Hoyt, PSE). The small holes for quivers, stabilizers are not really an issue, as they are not typically visible.

        Remember the "10 foot rule"? If you don't notice it from 10 feet away, I'd not worry. If you're close enough to see a #10 screw hole, you would also notice that the bow isn't a reproduction of a period bow.

        Just my opinion, YMMV

        William Arwemakere
        An Tir Kingdom Protector
        Light Champion, Shire of Lionsdale
        Incipient Royal Archer, Principality of Tir Righ
        Apprentice to Maestarinna Sigrid Briansdottir OL
        Arcarius to Master Andras Truemark, OL, OGGS

        > How do you guys cover holes on your modern recurve bows? I have
        > brass (?) fittings for a quiver and stabilizer. I will never use
        > either with this bow. How do you guys cover it to make it look
        > more period (my person is 16th century Scottish).
        >

        > Nate
        >

        > I Kings 1:40: And all the people came up after him,and the people
        > piped with pipes and rejoiced with great joy, so that the earth
        > rent with the sound of them.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Scott B. Jaqua
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 22, 2005
          Nate Prentice wrote:

          >How do you guys cover holes on your modern recurve bows? I have brass (?) fittings for a quiver and stabilizer. I will never use either with this bow. How do you guys cover it to make it look more period (my person is 16th century Scottish).
          >

          >Nate

          I don't believe those were the holes the rule was made to cover. Like
          all such rules it was reaction to a bow that stood out like a sore
          thumb. Certain take down bows like the PSE Black Widow have an open
          framework type riser. It is my understanding that it was these bows that
          the rule was intended to cover.

          Njall
        • John edgerton
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 22, 2005
            That is correct. It was just the open work risers that the rule
            covers. Mounting holes, etc were not the intent of the rule.

            Jon
            On Wednesday, June 22, 2005, at 11:51 AM, Scott B. Jaqua wrote:

            > Nate Prentice wrote:
            >
            >> How do you guys cover holes on your modern recurve bows? I have
            >> brass (?) fittings for a quiver and stabilizer. I will never use
            >> either with this bow. How do you guys cover it to make it look more
            >> period (my person is 16th century Scottish).
            >>

            >> Nate
            >>

            > I don't believe those were the holes the rule was made to cover. Like
            > all such rules it was reaction to a bow that stood out like a sore
            > thumb. Certain take down bows like the PSE Black Widow have an open
            > framework type riser. It is my understanding that it was these bows
            > that
            > the rule was intended to cover.
            >
            > Njall
          • Talmon Parker
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 22, 2005
              If you feel that you absolutely have to cover these holes. Then go to your
              local auto supply store and ask for 1/4"pan head screws . They have a flat
              head ,about 1/16th" thick.Get rhe thread and length to fit your riser. So
              for about a nickle per hole, you can make the unnoticeable, They make some
              that are about 3/8" head diamater. These usually have a screw slot to put
              them in.

              DER BARON

              >From: John edgerton <sirjon1@...>
              >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Covering holes.
              >Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 12:00:07 -0700
              >
              >That is correct. It was just the open work risers that the rule
              >covers. Mounting holes, etc were not the intent of the rule.
              >
              >Jon
              >On Wednesday, June 22, 2005, at 11:51 AM, Scott B. Jaqua wrote:
              >
              > > Nate Prentice wrote:
              > >
              > >> How do you guys cover holes on your modern recurve bows? I have
              > >> brass (?) fittings for a quiver and stabilizer. I will never use
              > >> either with this bow. How do you guys cover it to make it look more
              > >> period (my person is 16th century Scottish).
              > >>

              > >> Nate
              > >>

              > > I don't believe those were the holes the rule was made to cover. Like
              > > all such rules it was reaction to a bow that stood out like a sore
              > > thumb. Certain take down bows like the PSE Black Widow have an open
              > > framework type riser. It is my understanding that it was these bows
              > > that
              > > the rule was intended to cover.
              > >
              > > Njall

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Cian of Storvik
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 22, 2005
                I will go a step further from what Der baron has said, and suggest
                that you can do what I did on my combat recurve (a take-down PSE bow)
                and fill the holes with a dowel.
                You need a 5/16" NFT bolt and a nut and 2 wrenches.
                -Thread the nut onto your bolt about 1" into the bolt.
                -Thread the bolt into your stabilizer fitting on the bow until it
                bottoms out.
                -Tighten the nut (the one on the bolt) up tight against your fitting.
                (You may need to keep a wrench on the bolt AND on the nut to get to
                tighten it enough ).
                -Now, unscrew the bolt (not the nut!), it should work your threaded
                brass fitting out of the riser.
                Measure the hole or take your bow to the hardware store and buy the
                appropriate sized dowel and glue it and cut flush.
                -Cian
              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 22, 2005
                  Duct tape!!

                  James Cunningham
                  > How do you guys cover holes on your modern recurve bows? I have brass (?)
                  fittings for a quiver and stabilizer. I will never use either with this
                  bow. How do you guys cover it to make it look more period (my person is
                  16th century Scottish).

                  > Nate
                  >

                  > I Kings 1:40: And all the people came up after him,and the people piped
                  with pipes and rejoiced with great joy, so that the earth rent with the
                  sound of them.

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Johann Friedrich
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 4, 2005
                    If you're going by the 10' rule, then they should just get a wooden
                    self-bow. None of these modern take-down recurves are going to look even
                    remotely period from 10'. When it comes to archery in the SCA, the 10
                    foot rule doesn't even apply.

                    Alright... I'll step off my cranky soapbox and go look for some real
                    fireworks now. =-)