Re: [SCA-Archery] No-jig flemish string

  • Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2005
      Fritz, although I have not seen your technique, I have seen Jay St. Charles make
      a double flemish loop string, in less than 5 minutes, only using the bow for
      measuring. An incredible thing to see: just stripping the string off the spool
      and cutting as necessary for the lengths to braid in sequentially, braiding and
      then doing the other end.

      Myself, I'm still jig-bound ;)

      Godwin

      >And the jig is unnecessary. It can be done with the bow, an arrow, the
      >ball of string, a lump of (bees)wax, and a cutting tool. The basic
      >method is described in one of the Traditional Bowyer's Bibles.
      >
      >It's becoming clear it's time I write and illustrate my technique.
      >And do a demo/class or two at Pensic.
      >

      >-- Fritz
    • Simon Hondy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 10, 2005
        Fritz, if the copy is in electronic format I would like a copy, if not, I
        will send a SASE!

        Simon Hondy
        "Cum Omni humilitate
        faciant ipsas artes"
        -St. Benedict

        > >And the jig is unnecessary. It can be done with the bow, an arrow, the
        > >ball of string, a lump of (bees)wax, and a cutting tool. The basic
        > >method is described in one of the Traditional Bowyer's Bibles.
        > >
        > >It's becoming clear it's time I write and illustrate my technique.
        > >And do a demo/class or two at Pensic.
        > >

        > >-- Fritz

      • Carl West
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10, 2005
          Simon Hondy wrote:

          > Fritz, if the copy is in electronic format I would like a copy, if not, I
          > will send a SASE!

          When I finally get around to it, it will be a page on my website.
          It may be a while yet.
          My jobs are keeping me busy 7 days a week right now.
          The closest I have to a weekend is on Tuesdays until about 6pm.

          -- Fritz

          Carl West
          mailto:carl.west@...
          http://carl.west.home.comcast.net
          Thinking outside the box - Good
          Pooping outside the box - Bad
        • Simon Hondy
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2005
            Works for me, about the proper timing for when I will be much more ready to
            need and make a string!

            If you had it ready now, it would go on the shelf of things to do and learn!

            Thank you,

            Simon Hondy