Re: [SCA-Archery]

  • Nest verch Tangwistel
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2005
      Oh, of course, that is what you mean by loops made of pressed clips, the
      string is held together with a metal clip. I have seen those, I just
      couldn't picture it when it was written down.

      Nest

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Siegfried
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 10, 2005
        On 6/9/05, Bruce R. Gordon <obsidian@...> wrote:
        > Greetings
        > I wish to announce that the Pennsic archery rules and the basic schedule are up on the web at this time - please review them at:
        >
        > http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn34/MARTIAL/archery.html

        Ok Nigel ... Siegfried, the picker apart of rules, has read them, and
        has the following to offer. Note that yes, I'm being picky, and that
        yes, I'm probably going to comment on things that have been in the
        rules 'forever'.

        However, this is the first chance, I believe, that I can remember
        getting a chance to read them significantly before Pennsic and
        therefore have a decent chance to comment on them:

        Ignore comments as you wish"

        The following two parts:
        > The person using the equipment must be present when that equipment is being inspected, so that it can be determined that the archer is safe with it.
        and
        > Given an inspection failure, you can used borrowed equipment, but bear in mind that that, too, must be inspected in your presence.

        These directly state that all equipment to be used by person 'X', must
        be inspected in the presence of said person who will use them.

        This, I do not believe, has been the case in the past. For this means
        that, for example, if there is equipment failure and you lose the use
        of your bow, and need to borrow one, that said borrowed one, even if
        it's already been inspected, now needs reinspected, specific to the
        archer.

        Traditionally bow inspections were independant of the archer. Will
        we be putting the archer's medallion number on the sticker this year
        to ensure that only that archer can use that bow without a
        reinspection?

        Also, while the 'one bow one archer' rule has been in place for
        competition ... it has not been in place for practice/novelty
        shoots/etc. So by these rules as written ... if I want to say: "Hey
        Bob, check out this new crossbow that I made, go ahead, fire off a few
        rounds." Bob has to walk over to the inspection line first, even
        though I just came from it. More extreme examples can be thought of
        as well (such as at the Archery Masterworks competition, where bows
        are shot by many many people in order to 'test them out'.

        Moving on:

        >> Before you do any shooting, including practice, you must have your
        equipment inspected by an archery marshal. To do this, bring your bow,
        string, and shafts to the tent on the archery range. A clearly marked
        portion of the tent will be the inspection area. For your convenience,
        we will also be permitting 'in camp' inspections to be performed by
        authorized marshals. Please bring the bow to the inspection unstrung.
        This allows the marshals to examine it before it is placed under
        stress. The marshal will guide you through the inspection process and
        if your equipment is satisfactory, they will place a sticker on your
        bow.

        Ok, this section now states that all bows must be inspected, no matter
        what, and defines that said inspection includes a sticker.

        Will stickers be made available from day 0 of the range being setup
        for practice purposes? And available after/before normal shooting
        hours as well? In the past, during these times, stickers have not
        been available, and we have allowed 'on the spot' inspections, that
        were good just for that bit of shooting.

        >>For arrows, nocks may be of any safe material, and note please that
        the shaft must be matched both for bow poundage and draw-length.

        Having a statement requiring that the shaft be matched. How matched?
        I've been known for example, regularly lately to be shooting some
        massively heavy, spined for like 45# arrows, out of a 25# bow. Why?
        It's what I had laying around. Similarly with length ... matched to
        draw-length implies 'fits well', when longer is safe.

        Also, these are things that really a marshal cannot easily check.

        Perhaps this line should just state: 'Shaft should be strong enough
        for the bow, and long enough for the archer's draw-length"?

        >>Parents/legal guardians of minors (i.e. gentles under the age of 18)
        found unattended on the range risk loss of range access for them and
        their children for the balance of the War.

        I just wish to point out that this rule, as stated, may upset a number
        of people. Pennsic rules allow for those 13 and older to go free
        without adult supervision:
        http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn34/GENERAL/youth.html

        Therefore this rule, does differ from the Pennsic rule. Just noting
        that. Also noting that this means that a 17yr old. Old enough to
        drive a vehicle, old enough to go around Pennsic by themselves, is not
        old enough to be at the archery range without their parents.

        And finally:

        >>Mon Aug. 15 Championship competition: 10 am - 2 or 3 pm.
        Some warpoint shooting after if time allows.

        Is it really, realistic, to think of offering warpoint shooting
        afterwards? Traditionally the championship goes far later than 2 or
        3pm ... and even then, by the time things are taken down enough that
        the range could be reset up, it's going to be later in the evening
        anyway.

        Plus, no archer will actually KNOW when the championship would in fact
        end, or when/if warpoints would be available anyway, and therefore I
        don't see anyone trying to make it up the hill on the 'chance'.

        It would seem more realisitic to just state that the range is
        completely closed that day.

        Ok, that's it ...

        Siegfried

      • James Koch
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 10, 2005
          Siegfried is 100% correct.

          > > http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn34/MARTIAL/archery.html
          >
          > > The person using the equipment must be present when that equipment is
          > being inspected, so that it can be determined that the archer is safe with it.
          >and
          > > Given an inspection failure, you can used borrowed equipment, but bear
          > in mind that that, too, must be inspected in your presence

          This is even more ridiculous when it comes to crossbows since there is no
          draw length issue. If a person is too weak to span my crossbow, then they
          won't be able to shoot it, but this can't be determined at the inspection
          table since we are not required to span crossbows during inspection for
          good reason. So this puts us in the position of having to go back to the
          inspection table every time someone wants to try out my crossbow to ask
          permission. "Can I please let Li Kung Lo try my crossbow?"

          >This, I do not believe, has been the case in the past. For this means
          >that, for example, if there is equipment failure and you lose the use
          >of your bow, and need to borrow one, that said borrowed one, even if
          >it's already been inspected, now needs reinspected, specific to the
          >archer.
          >
          >Traditionally bow inspections were independant of the archer. Will
          >we be putting the archer's medallion number on the sticker this year
          >to ensure that only that archer can use that bow without a
          >reinspection?

          In the past I simply carried a half dozen loaner bows with me when I went
          up to the range for the first time. Then when I'd bring someone to the
          range who had never shot before I'd let them try out a few bows until they
          found one they could draw comfortably and shoot comfortably. Last year I
          paid 9 mercenary archers to shoot for me for populace points. Several of
          them had never touched a bow before and didn't know what they could
          handle. For this reason I have bows from 25# to 45# on hand. By the rule
          as written we'd have to head back to the inspection table several times.

          >Also, while the 'one bow one archer' rule has been in place for
          >competition ... it has not been in place for practice/novelty
          >shoots/etc.

          Contrary to common opinion, the one bow rule was never intended to apply to
          anything but the advancing man shoot. Some stupid piece of shit who didn't
          know what he (or she) was doing, changed the wording of the rule sometime
          in the past so that it no longer made sense. So this should not even be an
          issue. I don't believe that the inspection should concern itself with
          anything but the condition of the equipment at the time at which it is
          first brought to the range. It's up to the line marshals and the archers
          themselves to keep an eye on the performance of the system
          (archer+bow+arrows) on the line over time.

          Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)