Re: [SCA-Archery]

  • Russ Sheldon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2005
      Greetings,
      Not to sound harsh or anything but for $5 or so go get a new string for
      the kids bow that doesn't have a metal clip. I have in person experience
      seen one of these metal clips fail rather spectacularly. Get something a bit
      more safe so that they can have fun and you can have as well. Also there's
      always someone selling strings in the merchant quarter or even off site if
      it came to it.

      Russ Sheldon / Dafydd ap Sion
      Archer General for the Kingdom of Ealdormere

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9, 2005
        Unless it's a custom string I've never seen a Flemish or an endless string
        short enough for most of those kid's bows. A custom string is likely going
        to be a bit more costly than $5.

        Guy

        > I'll likely be bringing my four wards to Pennsic this year. All four
        > intend to shoot and unless I am mistaken, the little red 20# kid's bows
        > they own have strings with metal clips. Does this rule apply to
        > children's
        > equipment where such strings are common? If so, there will be quite a few
        > kids who won't be able to shoot.
        > >
        > Jim (Gladius)
        > >

        > >At 10:12 PM 6/9/2005, you wrote:
        >>May I ask a quick question. In the section on strings you forbid the use
        >>of the string attachment "loop made of pressed clips". I am not familiar
        >>with this item. could you discribe it a bit so I know what it is if I see
        >>it?
        >>
        >>Nest
        >>
        >>--- "Bruce R. Gordon" <obsidian@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> > Greetings
        >> > I wish to announce that the Pennsic archery rules and the basic
        >> > schedule are up on the web at this time - please review them at:
        >> >
        >> > http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn34/MARTIAL/archery.html
        >> >
        >> > I apologize for the delay, but the ducks I needed to get in a row
        >> > turned out to be cats in need of herding (and in fact several are still
        >> > missing - the webpage ought to be modified yet again in a day or so to
        >> > indicate the need for warranted marshals signup, as one example among a
        >> > number).
        >> > Nevertheless, the rules are basically as in order, and the
        >> > schedule
        >> > is reliable. Note that setup will begin asap.
        >> >
        >> > Please don't hesitate to contact me for any additional
        >> > clarifications.
        >> >
        >> > Forester Nigel FitzMaurice, Midrealm AG
        >> > --
        >> > Three things never heard from the mouth of a Celt:
        >> > "Do these colors match?"
        >> > "Is this too much jewelry?"
        >> > "Is that my drink?"
        >> >
        >> > http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/index.html

        >> > ---8<---------------------------------------------
        >> > Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by Medieval Mart
        >> > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.medievalmart.com/

        >> > Yahoo! Groups Links

        >>http://mail.yahoo.com
        >>

        >>---8<---------------------------------------------
        >>Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2003 by Medieval Mart
        >>Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's http://www.medievalmart.com/

        >>Yahoo! Groups Links

        >>This message scanned for viruses by CoreComm

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > --

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Johann Friedrich
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 9, 2005
          People actually buy flemish strings? How strange.. the first one I ever
          remember seeing (never really paid that much attention) is the one I made
          for my bow. For about $10 I had enough dacron to make many many many
          strings, then I just grabbed a spare board, some finish nails, and made a
          jig.

          Ken Bowley yahoo@...
          AKA: Lord Johann Friedrich http://www.trod.org
        • Carl West
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 10, 2005
            Johann Friedrich wrote:

            > People actually buy flemish strings? How strange.. the first one I ever
            > remember seeing (never really paid that much attention) is the one I made
            > for my bow. For about $10 I had enough dacron to make many many many
            > strings, then I just grabbed a spare board, some finish nails, and made a
            > jig.
            >
            > On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Guy Taylor wrote:
            >

            >>Unless it's a custom string I've never seen a Flemish or an endless string
            >>short enough for most of those kid's bows. A custom string is likely going
            >>to be a bit more costly than $5.

            And the jig is unnecessary. It can be done with the bow, an arrow, the
            ball of string, a lump of (bees)wax, and a cutting tool. The basic
            method is described in one of the Traditional Bowyer's Bibles.

            It's becoming clear it's time I write and illustrate my technique.
            And do a demo/class or two at Pensic.

            -- Fritz

            Carl West
            mailto:carl.west@...