Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Looking for beginner info for longbow

  • Nest verch Tangwistel
    Message 1 of 9 , May 25, 2005
      When I start someone they get to jump right into royal rounds if I
      want them to or not. The room we shoot in is quite small. So either
      everyone waits for the new person to shoot alone at a different distance,
      or he joins the crowd and rotates through the distances. I do hold them
      back from doing the 40 yards for a couple of days if they are nervous
      about it. But, yes I do lose quite a few loaner arrows that way. Luckily
      the room we shoot in has a target wall which is completely covered in foam
      so all they have to do is hit the wall. That is not necessarily that easy
      with the loaner equipment which tends to be very light weight. Most of the
      breakage comes from hitting the floor in front of the wall. It often takes
      them weeks to get a hit at the longer distances, but when they get it they
      are very excited. They also get the excitement of having their name go up
      on the RR list right away.
      Having said that occasionally I get a person which needs to slow down
      a little and focus on one distance. There is another room they can go
      into, but they don't tend to like it. They are not with the rest of the
      SCA crowd, but shooting with the compound shooters. They rarely have
      stayed in there more than one day. They ask to come back even if it means
      missing a lot.

      Nest
      --- Lord Caedmon Wilson <caedmon.wilson@...> wrote:
      > *chuckle*
      >
      > I had a slightly different reason for starting them at such short
      > distances: To prevent arrow loss.
      >
      > My archers tend to be college students, who once affording a bow, had
      > no money left for arrows, so they use the loaner arrows.
      >
      > At 5 yards, a monkey can hit the target. It helped to boost their
      > confidence from the start, which is very important with beginning
      > archers. We don't teach the psychology of archery on this list very
      > much.
      >
      > --
      > Lord Caedmon Wilson
      >
      > Crossbow Archery Champion, Barony Flaming Gryphon
      > Rapier Champion, South Oaken Region

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Yahoo! Mail