Re: [SCA-Archery] Mounted Archery...One Step at a Time

  • Scott Lane
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6 7:59 PM
      >Greetings, Scott! As in all things SCA, safety comes first! The horses are
      >not used in a battle situation, the combat tipped arrows are shot at
      >targets while the horse is in a particular gait and penalties are assessed
      >for any break in gait. Highest score wins!! The targets we are going to
      >use (still doing ground-work, this is potentially VERY dangerous!) are
      >going to be at about 10y to start with, and we will be working our way up
      >to (hopefully) 205y. Sounds like a challenge, doesn't it?? Wish us
      >luck!! Do you want me to notify you when we finally get the kinks out? I
      >could E-mail you some pics.....

      This is not mounted combat archery. There are a number of
      kingdoms that have been doing this for a while now and it is working out
      well. Let me know where you are and I can point you to an existing mounted
      archer. There are quite a few things you can do, most of which are in
      various EQ handbooks. I'll let you know the links to such if you would like.
      Let me know what I can do to help out. BTW, Baldur Blunts have
      been advised against due to the bounce back problems at short
      range. Current pictures would be enjoyed :)

      In Service,
      Lord Aodhfin Seibert

    • ggarrett
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8 12:43 AM
        The archery we are working on is combat (not marklin) tipped arrows. I have been informed that the Meridian term for this is "target". So, I guess I have to re-accustom myself to this terminology. Would you be interested in learning how to do this? I have the Meridian Book of the Horse that I am using as a guideline and I could recopy and E-mail you the pertinent info, if you need it.

        Yours in service to Meridies,Her Crown and Populace,

        Genvieve d'Argent Chene House Silver Oak Owl's Nest Meridies

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13 11:10 AM
          wyvern@... writes:

          << > >In mounted combat archery, how do you protect the horse from being hit
          by
          > >arrow aimed at you?
          >
          > At least in the middle kingdom there is no mounted combat
          archery,
          > and probably never will be.

          FWIW, there is no SCA sanctioned mounted combat of any kind.
          (SCA equestrain policies forbid it and SCA insurance doesn't cover
          it.)

          this would be fun for compatition like corn stalk shooting but from the back
          of a horse , but in my case we would have to use a watermelon