Re: Speed Shoots

  • Bruce R. Gordon
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2005
      Greetings
      Just a quick note on the logic of Winter Challenge speed shoots, since Siegfried's description is likely to sound fairly odd to anyone not familiar with that competition:
      Archers who do not manage to shoot off 6 arrows in 30 seconds will gain bonus points for arrows unshot. To determine the number of bonus points, subtract the number of arrows shot from 6 for each end and add that number to the actual score of the arrows that hit the target. IE: you shoot 4 arrows, you get 2 bonus points, PROVIDED that you hit the target at least once. If the archer has not managed to hit the target at least once in the entire round of two ends, then no bonus points are added.
      Why? The shoot is structured that way to encourage newer archers to slow down and focus better, rather than panicking and trying to race the clock.

      Nigel

      > > Speed Shoot - A thirty second timed shoot where you are scored on
      > > how many arrows you release at a target, with added points for
      > > hitting the target.
      >
      > That's in interesting twist on the common SCA Speed round. Sorta the
      > opposite of the Winter Challenge speed (where you get bonus for
      > shooting less).
      >
      > So I'd be assuming that this would be the equivilant of having say a
      > 2' circle, standing at 20 yards, and giving 1 point for each arrow
      > shot, and 1 point for each hit. Hrmmmmm I might have to steal that
      > idea.
      >
      > That could actually be another variation in the 'balancer' shoots for
      > speed vs accuracy shooters. I myself, with my crossbow, getting off
      > 7 shots, could get a max of 13 points. However, someone fast on the
      > draw who gets 12 off, can get 12 without hitting anything.. Of
      > course, Lochlain Silverwolf would get 24 points ;)
      >
      > Hrmmm, interesting.
      >
      > Siegfried
      >

      > --
      > THL Siegfried Sebastian Faust <a href="http://crossbows.biz/" target="_blank">http://crossbows.biz/</a>
      > Barony of Highland Foorde Baronial Web Minister & Archery Marshal
      > Kingdom of Atlantia Deputy Kingdom Earl Marshal for Target Archery

      > Get Medieval at Mad Macsen's <a href="http://www.medievalmart.com/" target="_blank">http://www.medievalmart.com/</a>

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      "Do these colors match?"
      "Is this too much jewelry?"
      "Is that my drink?"

    • Kinjal of Moravia
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2005
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce R. Gordon"
        <obsidian@r...> wrote:

        > Nigel

        > > > Speed Shoot - A thirty second timed shoot where you are scored
        on how many arrows you release at a target, with added points for
        > > > hitting the target.

        That's in interesting twist on the common SCA Speed round.

        Consider it from a 'war setting' rather than a 'list' competition.
        In our military today, marksmanship training is more based on
        familiarity than accuracy, though 'exceptional skill' is
        recognized. In a battle it is essential that everyone shoot -- with
        accuracy secondary. You may recall that in WWI many soldiers died
        without ever firing their weapon. So if you have 'untrained
        archers' under your command in a medieval battle you would wish to
        have confidence that they will shoot on command -- hopefuly in the
        general direction of the enemy. This will allow
        your 'sharpshooters' to pick selected targets. Thus the
        desired 'practice' is in getting arrows off, not in fine accuracy.
        Perhaps a 'greater distance shoot can be planned -- say 150 yards.
        One point for each arrow loosed -- 4 points for each hit. I'd even
        offer a prize!

        kinjal
      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2005
          I like the team Idea. Four to ten or more on a team. The Team capt can help
          set the angle for his team. They all must loose within 3 seconds of each
          other(on command). The team with the smallest circle or arrows(like a
          string shoot) or the longest added to the closest.

          The idea is that in battle the best team of archers puts the most arrows
          close to the enemy's King(all at the same time)...maybe killing his
          aid-decamp or even hitting the king himself in the eye. In a hail of arrows
          it is hard to keep track of the ones that will hit you, from the ones that
          will not.

          James Cunningham
          Who has seen the incoming arrows at Gulf Wars

          > Consider it from a 'war setting' rather than a 'list' competition.
          > In our military today, marksmanship training is more based on
          > familiarity than accuracy, though 'exceptional skill' is
          > recognized. In a battle it is essential that everyone shoot -- with
          > accuracy secondary. You may recall that in WWI many soldiers died
          > without ever firing their weapon. So if you have 'untrained
          > archers' under your command in a medieval battle you would wish to
          > have confidence that they will shoot on command -- hopefuly in the
          > general direction of the enemy. This will allow
          > your 'sharpshooters' to pick selected targets. Thus the
          > desired 'practice' is in getting arrows off, not in fine accuracy.
          > Perhaps a 'greater distance shoot can be planned -- say 150 yards.
          > One point for each arrow loosed -- 4 points for each hit. I'd even
          > offer a prize!
          >
          > kinjal

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Kinjal of Moravia
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2005
            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
            <cunning@f...> wrote:
            > I like the team Idea. Four to ten or more on a team. The Team capt
            can help set the angle for his team. They all must loose within 3
            seconds of each other(on command). The team with the smallest circle
            or arrows(like a string shoot) or the longest added to the closest.

            +++ I understand there is an ancient 'team contest' in which for every
            arrow that misses the target the entire team must step back one pace
            for the next round. In SCA only one team could shoot at time for
            safety reasons -- say each member of a 6-10 man team shoots three
            arrows at 30 yards. Then they retreat as required by missed shots.
            They shoot another round of three and repeat for possibly 4-6 rounds.
            A poor shot would require the team to shoot farther, but also at
            unpracticed distances -- a real challenge.

            kinjal