Re: Light Combat Archer

  • Greg Young/Jocelyn Wirth
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 6, 2000
      At this time, there is no light combat archery allowed in the Midrealm.
      However, at Pennsic this year there will be one battle, the Abbey Battle,
      that will allow non-combat archers under controlled conditions. There will
      be several structures involved in the battle, two of which will be manned
      by lightly armored archers (possibly fencing masks at present) shooting
      through arrow slits 9" by 48". These structures will be completely
      off-limits to allow for these special light archers to participate in a
      full-scale battle.

      In service,

      THL Robin Kyrke, Forester
      Principality Archery Marshal for Northshield, Midrealm
    • Greg Young/Jocelyn Wirth
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7, 2000
        >That's interesting, would you care to elaborate?

        Well, since you asked I will quote a section from the latest Pennsic Rules
        that I received. Some snippage involved!
        ---------------------
        MOUNTAIN ABBEY BATTLE

        Across the center of the fighting field, buildings will be placed according
        to pre-determined location and dimensions. Buildings will be marked by hay
        bales and have 12' doors marked by 4" x 4" posts with rope lintels.
        Buildings will also have sheet walls broken by sturdy arrow slits
        delineating 9" x 48" openings. Combat archery and thrown weapons may be
        fired through these openings, both from inside and outside, however, no
        fighting may occur through slits.

        This battle will also include Combat archery. Heavy Archers, that is,
        fighters who may also shoot will be allowed inside the battle zone. Light
        Archers will also be allowed in this battle under strict conditions. Along
        both sides of the battle zone special archery buildings will be constructed
        with arrow slits as in the central buildings. These buildings will contain
        a central room with a door as specified above opening onto the battlefield.
        Light archers may shoot from the arrow slits in their respective buildings
        so long as the central room is controlled (see below) by their army. For
        crowd safety purposes, these archers will not be targets for return fire,
        but will wear fencing masks as precaution against stray fire.

        Face thrusting and Thrown weapons such as javelins and throwing axes will
        also be accepted if they meet Midrealm and East kingdom standards.
        ----------------

        If anyone has any other questions, I will be happy to try to answer them
        privately, so as not to tie up this forum on this topic. (Which probably
        belongs on the combat archery list!)

        Robin
      • wyvern@megahits.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 8, 2000
          Just a gentle nudge from the moderator...

          Please keep this list focused on Target Archery. There is a
          seperate list devoted to Combat Archery at:

          SCA-MissileCombat@onelist.com

          You can subscribe by sending a blank email to:

          SCA-MissileCombat-subscribe@onelist.com

          or by visiting the ONElist/eGroups website.

          Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

          The Management
        • Ian Gourdon
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 9, 2000
            > At this time, there is no light combat archery allowed in the Midrealm.
            > However, at Pennsic this year there will be one battle, the Abbey Battle,
            > that will allow non-combat archers under controlled conditions. There will
            > be several structures involved in the battle, two of which will be manned
            > by lightly armored archers (possibly fencing masks at present) shooting
            > through arrow slits 9" by 48". These structures will be completely
            > off-limits to allow for these special light archers to participate in a
            > full-scale battle.
            >
            > In service,
            >
            > THL Robin Kyrke, Forester
            > Principality Archery Marshal for Northshield, Midrealm

            The Battle: MOUNTAIN ABBEY BATTLE
            Duration: 1-½ hours

            The field will be 510 feet wide by 250 feet long. The
            boundaries will be marked with hay bales and no fighting may
            occur outside these boundaries. Armies will enter from
            opposite sides. Resurrection points will be placed outside
            the boundary in the center of each side. “Dead” troops may
            leave the field at the nearest convenient point. All troops,
            regardless of where they left the field must go around to
            their resurrection point before re-entering the battle.
            Troops may re-enter the battle at any point along their
            original entry boundary.

            Across the center of the fighting field, buildings will be
            placed according to pre-determined location and dimensions.
            Buildings will be marked by hay bales and have 12’ doors
            marked by 4” x 4” posts with rope lintels. Buildings will
            also have sheet walls broken by sturdy arrow slits
            delineating 9” x 48” openings. Combat archery and thrown
            weapons may be fired through these openings, both from
            inside and outside, however, no fighting may occur through
            slits.

            Combat may not take place over hay bales. Fighters may not
            sit, stand, walk, or run on the bales. A fighter may use
            bales to stop his fall or regain his balance. If a fighter’s
            hand or weapon lands outside of the hay bales, or if a
            fighter is pushed or falls over the bales, that fighter must
            return to his side’s resurrection point to reenter the
            battle.

[...]

            This battle will also include siege weapons that meet the
            minimum requirements set by Society standards. Ammunition
            for siege engines will be ballista bolts as per Society
            rules or “rocks” constructed from four taped tennis balls.
            Siege engines will be placed behind a firing line 10’
            outside the boundaries and may be crewed by non-combatants.
            Siege crews must wear scout armor approved for Combat
            Archery situations. However, for crowd safety purposes, they
            may not be targeted for return fire. A banner will be placed
            near each engine at the boundary. A unit consisting of at
            least three opposing fighters may “destroy” an engine by
            touching the staff of the representative banner. The crew is
            likewise dead, but may resurrect as per fighters to crew
            another weapon. The engine may also be resurrected, if the
            weapon is transported in entirety to resurrection point and
            back to the firing line and it’s banner reset.

            Victory conditions: At 2 random intervals and end of battle,
            control of each building will be determined. Each building
            will contain a bag, stuffed with straw, with one red side
            and one blue side. These bags may not be moved from there
            marked position, but must be turned up to show the
            controlling armies tape color. Control will be defined by
            having this bag showing an armies color. If, at the check
            point, the bag is in the process of being turned over, the
            side that ends up will determine control.

            All fighters should kneel at the final cannon, and the doors
            of all buildings will be ‘closed’. All fighters outside the
            buildings will be excused. Those inside will fight until
            only one side remains. Most points at the end of battle
            determine victory. If a tie of total points results, victory
            will be determined by best 3 of 5 in final building
            contests.
            From a different part of the Pennsic document:
            COMBAT ARCHERY

            In any following specified battle Combat Archery will be
            allowed as follows:

            Weapon Standards-

            Arrows:
            Maximum length is 28 inches, crossbow bolt maximum length is
            14 inches, measured from bottom of nock slot to just back of
            the blunt.
            Arrows must be made from golf tube, or SOLID fiberglass,
            covered lengthwise with fiber or strapping tape from the
            base of the fletches to the end of the arrow, covering the
            end of the arrow.

            Arrowheads:
            Must be tennis ball, Balder Blunt, Thistle Missile or
            Markland style with a minimum diameter of 1.25 inches.

            Longbows and recurves:
            Heavy bows of 35# to 50# at 28 inch draw may only shoot golf
            tube arrows and must be marked with a 6 inch strip of red
            tape on the upper limb.
            All bow shooting anything other than golf tube arrows will
            be 30# or less of pull at 28 inches, measured from the back
            of the bow to the drawn string. (Note: the “back” of the bow
            is the side facing the enemy. The “belly” of the bow is the
            side facing the archer.)

            Crossbows:
            - Crossbows firing anything other than golf tube bolts must
            have a maximum draw weight of 600 inch/pounds.
            Crossbows firing golf tube arrows must have a maximum draw
            weight of 840 inch/pounds. This is the measurement of the
            draw length from the relaxed string to the drawn/cocked
            string, multiplied by the poundage of the crossbow.
            - There is no minimum range, but the bolt or arrow must be
            completely airborne before it reaches its target.
            - Arrow hits are treated the same as any other thrust. Hits
            to the top, side or back of the helm do not count. If any
            weapon, including arrows hits your bow, it is considered
            “broken”. Ricochet shots off other opponents are not good.
            - Once fired, dropped, or fallen from a quiver, arrows must
            be reinspected before being reused.

            Types of Archers

            Heavy Archers
            1. Heavy Archers may be “touch killed”.
            2. Armor: As above for heavy weapons fighters, including
            full hand protection on the bow hand, and half-gauntlet and
            heavy glove on the arrow/string hand.
            3. A quiver is not a shield or armor and if struck, the blow
            is to be taken as if the quiver was not there. Any shield
            must have a grip/strap/handle held by the hand, otherwise it
            is considered armor and, if “touched” or hit by an arrow,
            you lose your arm.
            4. To switch from “combat archer” to “heavy weapons
            fighter”, you must drop your bow before drawing a weapon.

            Light Archers
            Light Archers will be allowed ONLY in the Abbey Battle. See
            pertinent rules below.

            --
            Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe, OP
            Known as a forester of the Greenwood, Midrealm