Practice -- pedantic

  • Kinjal of Moravia
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2005
      It has been suggested here (opinion) that any validation of an
      archery activity or prowess must document that the activity
      was 'practiced'. If we accept this condition (why I don't know),
      then one must look at what the word 'practice' means. The modern,
      popular usage attested by any dictionary is one of, "to do or
      perform habitually or customarily; to make a habit of." But it also
      means, "to give lessons or repeated instructions to," and "to carry
      out in action, observe." Most important is the 'archaic' meaning
      (like used in medieval times). This means, "the skill so learned or
      perfected."

      Note in this documented item, " Henry VIII demonstrates his skill
      with the longbow at a summit meeting hosted by the French King," he
      is indicating that such activities are 'common practice' and that he
      is 'practiced at this skill'. How many times he regularly performed
      this action, and whether he wore acceptable jogging shoes is
      irrelevant. Furthermore, any student of history knows that if the
      King did it, the populous would soon rush to emulate -- alternately,
      he 'practiced' archery because it was a common activity (shooting at
      known targets at some distance." In either case, if the King did
      it -- it was a 'practice'.

      In the second item documented, " The Royal Company of Archers first
      practised 'Clout Archery' using longbows," means that they did it
      in regular and observed fashion, not that they were doing it
      to 'learn the skill'. Now if a person is going to publicly attempt
      to shoot a target at a 'medium distance' of say 300 strides
      (medieval term somewhat less than a yard), or a 'great distance'
      like 400 auld (medieval term about the length of a bow), then it is
      because they expect to hit the target! Such knowledge must come
      from 'practiced' experience, even if it is observed. Since I know
      it is possible to shoot an arrow a quarter of mile (non- medieval
      term),[ I have done it so don't have to 'believe' it] -- if I choose
      to attempt to hit a target at that distance with a different bow it
      is because I am 'practiced' at it, even though I have never tried it
      before.

      So 'fair is fair'. If you are going to insist on proper medieval
      terms for some things (like distances) then pray attempt to use all
      terms as they were used in medieval times.

      This would be a 'good practice'.

      kinjal