Light Combat Archer

  • Chad and Erin Wilson
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5 2:30 PM
      When did the Midrealm institute Light Combar Archers? I find this to be very
      cool. Do you need to be a warranted scout to do it?

      -Caeman (a fighter who let his authorization lapse due to lack of armor)

      | Be carful Roewynne you can get black and blue from a baldar blunt at close
      | range. Especialy(sp) on a non-padded part of the body.
      |
      | The Honerable Forester James Cunningham
      |

      | >Juliet--
      | >
      | >Midrealm now has light archers. You need a Scout helm to qualify along
      | with
      | >bow and combat arrows. We all now can join the fun. (I never did want to
      | >get black and blue)
      | >
      | >Roewynne

    • Greg Young/Jocelyn Wirth
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 6 4:09 PM
        At this time, there is no light combat archery allowed in the Midrealm.
        However, at Pennsic this year there will be one battle, the Abbey Battle,
        that will allow non-combat archers under controlled conditions. There will
        be several structures involved in the battle, two of which will be manned
        by lightly armored archers (possibly fencing masks at present) shooting
        through arrow slits 9" by 48". These structures will be completely
        off-limits to allow for these special light archers to participate in a
        full-scale battle.

        In service,

        THL Robin Kyrke, Forester
        Principality Archery Marshal for Northshield, Midrealm
      • Greg Young/Jocelyn Wirth
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 7 8:43 AM
          >That's interesting, would you care to elaborate?

          Well, since you asked I will quote a section from the latest Pennsic Rules
          that I received. Some snippage involved!
          ---------------------
          MOUNTAIN ABBEY BATTLE

          Across the center of the fighting field, buildings will be placed according
          to pre-determined location and dimensions. Buildings will be marked by hay
          bales and have 12' doors marked by 4" x 4" posts with rope lintels.
          Buildings will also have sheet walls broken by sturdy arrow slits
          delineating 9" x 48" openings. Combat archery and thrown weapons may be
          fired through these openings, both from inside and outside, however, no
          fighting may occur through slits.

          This battle will also include Combat archery. Heavy Archers, that is,
          fighters who may also shoot will be allowed inside the battle zone. Light
          Archers will also be allowed in this battle under strict conditions. Along
          both sides of the battle zone special archery buildings will be constructed
          with arrow slits as in the central buildings. These buildings will contain
          a central room with a door as specified above opening onto the battlefield.
          Light archers may shoot from the arrow slits in their respective buildings
          so long as the central room is controlled (see below) by their army. For
          crowd safety purposes, these archers will not be targets for return fire,
          but will wear fencing masks as precaution against stray fire.

          Face thrusting and Thrown weapons such as javelins and throwing axes will
          also be accepted if they meet Midrealm and East kingdom standards.
          ----------------

          If anyone has any other questions, I will be happy to try to answer them
          privately, so as not to tie up this forum on this topic. (Which probably
          belongs on the combat archery list!)

          Robin
        • wyvern@megahits.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 8 6:18 AM
            Just a gentle nudge from the moderator...

            Please keep this list focused on Target Archery. There is a
            seperate list devoted to Combat Archery at:

            SCA-MissileCombat@onelist.com

            You can subscribe by sending a blank email to:

            SCA-MissileCombat-subscribe@onelist.com

            or by visiting the ONElist/eGroups website.

            Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

            The Management
          • Ian Gourdon
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 9 11:19 AM
              > At this time, there is no light combat archery allowed in the Midrealm.
              > However, at Pennsic this year there will be one battle, the Abbey Battle,
              > that will allow non-combat archers under controlled conditions. There will
              > be several structures involved in the battle, two of which will be manned
              > by lightly armored archers (possibly fencing masks at present) shooting
              > through arrow slits 9" by 48". These structures will be completely
              > off-limits to allow for these special light archers to participate in a
              > full-scale battle.
              >
              > In service,
              >
              > THL Robin Kyrke, Forester
              > Principality Archery Marshal for Northshield, Midrealm

              The Battle: MOUNTAIN ABBEY BATTLE
              Duration: 1-½ hours

              The field will be 510 feet wide by 250 feet long. The
              boundaries will be marked with hay bales and no fighting may
              occur outside these boundaries. Armies will enter from
              opposite sides. Resurrection points will be placed outside
              the boundary in the center of each side. “Dead” troops may
              leave the field at the nearest convenient point. All troops,
              regardless of where they left the field must go around to
              their resurrection point before re-entering the battle.
              Troops may re-enter the battle at any point along their
              original entry boundary.

              Across the center of the fighting field, buildings will be
              placed according to pre-determined location and dimensions.
              Buildings will be marked by hay bales and have 12’ doors
              marked by 4” x 4” posts with rope lintels. Buildings will
              also have sheet walls broken by sturdy arrow slits
              delineating 9” x 48” openings. Combat archery and thrown
              weapons may be fired through these openings, both from
              inside and outside, however, no fighting may occur through
              slits.

              Combat may not take place over hay bales. Fighters may not
              sit, stand, walk, or run on the bales. A fighter may use
              bales to stop his fall or regain his balance. If a fighter’s
              hand or weapon lands outside of the hay bales, or if a
              fighter is pushed or falls over the bales, that fighter must
              return to his side’s resurrection point to reenter the
              battle.

[...]

              This battle will also include siege weapons that meet the
              minimum requirements set by Society standards. Ammunition
              for siege engines will be ballista bolts as per Society
              rules or “rocks” constructed from four taped tennis balls.
              Siege engines will be placed behind a firing line 10’
              outside the boundaries and may be crewed by non-combatants.
              Siege crews must wear scout armor approved for Combat
              Archery situations. However, for crowd safety purposes, they
              may not be targeted for return fire. A banner will be placed
              near each engine at the boundary. A unit consisting of at
              least three opposing fighters may “destroy” an engine by
              touching the staff of the representative banner. The crew is
              likewise dead, but may resurrect as per fighters to crew
              another weapon. The engine may also be resurrected, if the
              weapon is transported in entirety to resurrection point and
              back to the firing line and it’s banner reset.

              Victory conditions: At 2 random intervals and end of battle,
              control of each building will be determined. Each building
              will contain a bag, stuffed with straw, with one red side
              and one blue side. These bags may not be moved from there
              marked position, but must be turned up to show the
              controlling armies tape color. Control will be defined by
              having this bag showing an armies color. If, at the check
              point, the bag is in the process of being turned over, the
              side that ends up will determine control.

              All fighters should kneel at the final cannon, and the doors
              of all buildings will be ‘closed’. All fighters outside the
              buildings will be excused. Those inside will fight until
              only one side remains. Most points at the end of battle
              determine victory. If a tie of total points results, victory
              will be determined by best 3 of 5 in final building
              contests.
              From a different part of the Pennsic document:
              COMBAT ARCHERY

              In any following specified battle Combat Archery will be
              allowed as follows:

              Weapon Standards-

              Arrows:
              Maximum length is 28 inches, crossbow bolt maximum length is
              14 inches, measured from bottom of nock slot to just back of
              the blunt.
              Arrows must be made from golf tube, or SOLID fiberglass,
              covered lengthwise with fiber or strapping tape from the
              base of the fletches to the end of the arrow, covering the
              end of the arrow.

              Arrowheads:
              Must be tennis ball, Balder Blunt, Thistle Missile or
              Markland style with a minimum diameter of 1.25 inches.

              Longbows and recurves:
              Heavy bows of 35# to 50# at 28 inch draw may only shoot golf
              tube arrows and must be marked with a 6 inch strip of red
              tape on the upper limb.
              All bow shooting anything other than golf tube arrows will
              be 30# or less of pull at 28 inches, measured from the back
              of the bow to the drawn string. (Note: the “back” of the bow
              is the side facing the enemy. The “belly” of the bow is the
              side facing the archer.)

              Crossbows:
              - Crossbows firing anything other than golf tube bolts must
              have a maximum draw weight of 600 inch/pounds.
              Crossbows firing golf tube arrows must have a maximum draw
              weight of 840 inch/pounds. This is the measurement of the
              draw length from the relaxed string to the drawn/cocked
              string, multiplied by the poundage of the crossbow.
              - There is no minimum range, but the bolt or arrow must be
              completely airborne before it reaches its target.
              - Arrow hits are treated the same as any other thrust. Hits
              to the top, side or back of the helm do not count. If any
              weapon, including arrows hits your bow, it is considered
              “broken”. Ricochet shots off other opponents are not good.
              - Once fired, dropped, or fallen from a quiver, arrows must
              be reinspected before being reused.

              Types of Archers

              Heavy Archers
              1. Heavy Archers may be “touch killed”.
              2. Armor: As above for heavy weapons fighters, including
              full hand protection on the bow hand, and half-gauntlet and
              heavy glove on the arrow/string hand.
              3. A quiver is not a shield or armor and if struck, the blow
              is to be taken as if the quiver was not there. Any shield
              must have a grip/strap/handle held by the hand, otherwise it
              is considered armor and, if “touched” or hit by an arrow,
              you lose your arm.
              4. To switch from “combat archer” to “heavy weapons
              fighter”, you must drop your bow before drawing a weapon.

              Light Archers
              Light Archers will be allowed ONLY in the Abbey Battle. See
              pertinent rules below.

              --
              Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe, OP
              Known as a forester of the Greenwood, Midrealm