horns

  • Ryynänen Harri
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1 2:04 AM
      how do you treat 'fresh' cowhorns before
      starting to use the material? And how do i get the
      'core' or the inner tissue out of them?

      Haakon Pikinokka
    • Brett Wilson
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1 10:03 PM
        Could someone on this list tell me how to submit scores for the Midrealm
        Winter Challenge?

        Thanks.

        Leif of Crescent Moon
        Calontir archer
      • Chris Nogy
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 6 11:29 AM
          The easiest and most complete way to get the horns clean is also one of the
          most disgusting.

          Use maggots - wrap the horn in a breathable cloth with the larvae in the center
          - let it go for a week or two - the soft stuff will be gone.

          Then make a tool - take several (30 or 40) 1 inch pieces of wire fishing
          leader, wrap some tag wire around the middle of the bundle, then ruffle it up
          to make a soft wire 'brush'. Bend a piece of coat hanger about 12 inches long
          2 inches from the end, place the bundle brush in the bend, and then twist the
          coat-hanger up tightly to make a shaft for the brush.

          Put the brush in an electric drill, and work it around the inside of the horn.
          It takes the connective tissue away from the hard shell of the horn.

          Then boil and wash with bottle brush and good detergent.

          This will get your horns very clean.

          Kaz

          > From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ryyn=E4nen_Harri?= <haryynan@...>, on 4/6/00
          8:46 AM:
          > how do you treat 'fresh' cowhorns before
          > starting to use the material? And how do i get the
          > 'core' or the inner tissue out of them?
          >
          > Haakon Pikinokka

          > Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
          > 1. Fill in the brief application
          > Apply NOW!

        • Bruce R. Gordon
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 21, 2000
            Well, it's back for the eighth big year...

            MIDREALM WINTER ARCHERY SHOOT Anno Soc. XXXV

            All archers of the Known World are invited to participate
            in a winter archery competition from November 1, 2000
            through April 30, 2001. The shoot is the same (almost -
            NOTE: THE WAND TARGET HAS BEEN MODIFIED: CAREFULLY LOOK
            OVER THAT SECTION OF THE POSTED RULES) as previous years
            using the basic commercial target of any 5 ring 40 cm
            (16 inches) face. All rounds are shot at 20 yards. Each
            round will consist of two (2) ends. Equipment standards
            are as per SCA legal for your kingdom, or by default, the
            SCA target archery rules. There is no traditional equipment
            bonus or requirement. Participating archers should include
            with the scores sent, this info: SCA name, MKA, their SCA
            group, (and Kingdom, if outside the Midrealm), the type
            of bow (crossbow, longbow, recurve or other), the bow's draw
            weight, and whether or not any sight marks on limbs or
            crossbow rear sights were used. ...Etc.

            For the details:
            http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/wint.html
            or e-mail me directly for an e-mail copy of the current
            (changed) rules.

            The Challenge commences one second after midnight, Nov. 1;
            and I will gleefully start posting scores as soon as I
            can that day.

            Good shooting to all, and I hope to hear from you soon.

            Forester Nigel FitzMaurice, Winter Challenge Coordinator
            (MKA) Bruce R. Gordon
            866 Beardsley, Apt. 1
            Akron, Ohio, 44311-2256

            obsidian@...
            --

            Ex Tenebra, Lux

          • Shurgin,Gary
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 22, 2000
              Got it Nigel! I'll try to get out and shoot this weekend to warm up. I've
              been pretty busy, and wind up with a few days of exhaustion.
              4 Dragon Barbs were awarded at Crown. Nigel--please send me your recs and
              also again to Duke Edmund and Kateryn, (or a gentle reminder) They have an
              event in Cleftlands on the 18th, and no awards yet for it!!!! Crown was won
              by Barlok? and Bree from Illinois, so this is a good bet to get DBs from
              this area for a long while, because when they step down the next reign will
              probably focus somewhere else, not the Oaken region. Barbs? Marjory,
              Sabine, Grania and Vorlin. (Edmund personally spoke with him on the dias
              during court....) I don't know people to recommend from elsewhere. Send
              them in anyway, and let me know the names, in case I'm asked about it. Have
              some of the foresters send it in also. (My reply will always be yes to
              awards, I've so informed their majesties.) We should be about caught up on
              the Southern side of Oaken now for the DBs, unless Havenholde has some new
              candidates.

              Roewynne

            • Andre Detommaso
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 23, 2000
                Hi Nigel,

                looking forward to this shoot as always. Just one
                suggestion, you may want to clearly specify for the
                Wand that each of the three strips is to be two inches
                wide. At least to me, it seemed open to interpretation
                the way it's written on the web site.

                Once again, thanks for all the great work you do with
                this every year!

                Take care,

                - Lorenzo

                http://im.yahoo.com/
              • Bruce R. Gordon
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 24, 2000
                  Andre Detommaso wrote:

                  > Hi Nigel,
                  >
                  > looking forward to this shoot as always. Just one
                  > suggestion, you may want to clearly specify for the
                  > Wand that each of the three strips is to be two inches
                  > wide. At least to me, it seemed open to interpretation
                  > the way it's written on the web site.
                  >
                  > Once again, thanks for all the great work you do with
                  > this every year!
                  >
                  > Take care,
                  >
                  > - Lorenzo

                  Greetings
                  Yah, it was pointed out to me that that could be ambiguous in
                  interpretation. I clarified the passage a bit, delayed somewhat by ISP
                  problems. It's now published properly, and should be viewable. Let me
                  know if any further ambiguity remains.

                  Forester Nigel

                  --

                  Ex Tenebra, Lux

                • Bruce R. Gordon
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 30, 2002
                    The Middle Kingdom Winter Challenge, Anno Societas XXXVII

                    Yes folks, it's that time again... As a preliminary note, let me
                    mention that since last season, I have ceased to be the Oaken (Ohio-
                    Kentucky) Regional, in lieu of which I have been made Archer-General of
                    the Midrealm. I don't anticipate that holding that position will
                    prevent me from keeping up with the scores, but it does mean that this
                    shoot becomes a bit more official and high-profile than before.
                    Midrealm shooters may therefore regard this competition as one method
                    by which I will be evaluating potential members of the Champions team.
                    That's a hint... For archers outside the Midrealm (shrug), it's the
                    same shoot as last year, and what office I hold is of no significance
                    to you. Hopefully, you will get the same enjoyment out of the Challenge
                    as you have in the past. As always, comments and suggestions are
                    welcome anytime. And so, on to the rules...

                    All archers of the Known World are invited to participate in a winter
                    archery competition from November 1, 2002 through April 30, 2003. The
                    shoot is the same as previous years using the basic commercial target
                    of any 5 ring 40 cm (16 inches) face. All rounds are shot at 20 yards.
                    Each round will consist of two (2) ends. Equipment standards are as per
                    SCA legal for your kingdom. There is no traditional equipment bonus or
                    requirement. Participating archers should include with the scores sent,
                    this info: SCA name, MKA, their SCA group, (and Kingdom, if outside the
                    Midrealm), the type of bow (crossbow, longbow, recurve or other), the
                    bow's draw weight, and whether or not any sight marks on limbs or
                    crossbow rear sights were used. Please note that last comment! Last
                    year many entries were not listed as being sighted or non-sighted. The
                    scoring breakdown this year is going to take into account whether a
                    weapon used sights or not: if no informationis given, I will assume the
                    weapon in question had sights!

                    The marshal in charge is Bruce R. Gordon (Forester Nigel FitzMaurice),
                    866 Beardsley, Apt. 1, Akron, Ohio 44311; and if you like...a copy to
                    obsidian@... for quick posting on the results page. Results will
                    be posted at: http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/scores.html

                    The Shoot:

                    As it was last year, the shoot is eight ends at 20 yards, and may take
                    place at any event, practice, or get-together where a warranted SCA
                    archery marshal (or your Kingdom's equivalent) is present to score it.

                    Target Round - intended to help maintain accuracy over the winter
                    months. It consists of 2 ends of 6 arrows each untimed at a 40 cm (16
                    inch) 5 ring target with standard 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 scoring.

                    Speed Round - intended to help archers practice speed shooting with
                    accuracy. It consists of 2 ends of unlimited arrows shot in a 30 second
                    time limit for each end. Each archer must shoot at least one arrow each
                    end but may shoot as many as possible in 30 seconds. Scoring of the 40
                    cm 5 ring target is 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Archers who do not manage to shoot
                    off 6 arrows in 30 seconds will gain bonus points for arrows unshot. To
                    determine the number of bonus points, subtract the number of arrows
                    shot from 6 for each end and add that number to the actual score of the
                    arrows that hit the target. IE: you shoot 4 arrows, you get 2 bonus
                    points. If the archer has not managed to hit the target at least once
                    in the entire round of two ends, then no bonus points are added. When
                    scoring, please show real score + bonus points, IE: 12+2

                    Wand Round - intended to help the archer concentrate on minimizing
                    left/right movement. It consists of 2 ends of 6 arrows untimed. Each
                    end is shot at a target wand 3 feet long by 6 inches wide, consisting
                    of a central strip of one color flanked on either side by strips of a
                    differing tint (hint:a standard strip of duct tape is 2 inches wide);
                    each band equal in width (2 inches). Each arrow within or touching the
                    central strip scores five points. Each arrow outside the central area
                    but within or touching either of the two outer bands scores three
                    points.

                    Bull's Eye Round - intended to help the archer focus on the center of a
                    target. It consists of 2 ends of 6 arrows each untimed. Each end is
                    shot at a target consisting of a 4 inch circular bull's eye centered
                    within a 8 1/2 inch outer circle,(standard piece of paper). All arrows
                    within or touching the inner circle score five points each. All arrows
                    outside the center bull's eye but within or touching the outer circle
                    score three points each.

                    --
                    Ex Tenebra, Lux