Re: [SCA-Archery] Poppin Jay targets

  • Michael Scherrer
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 5 7:14 AM
      Shooter friendly.
      Try your sporting goods stores for doves. " Decoys" They have a challenging
      size and look
      like a bird.
      I have several that I have split the backs, filled with expanding foam and
      than use rubber bands
      to hold shut till the foam sets. I like to open up the birds to make sure
      the the foam fills the
      cavity, and can make sure that the fill "cures".
      I than painted the birds green. You end up with a light weight, easy to
      transport,
      shooter friendly target. With out a great deal of cost involved.

      Thomas

      >From: jrosswebb1@...
      >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Poppin Jay targets
      >Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 00:42:26 -0400
      >

      >Greetings,
      > There have been a few good suggestions for the poppin jay. If you
      >get a copy of the British video "Archery-its forms and practices" by
      >Mike Loades, there is a few shots of a very effective poppin jay target
      >that looks very much like what was described by a previous poster.
      > Flu Flus definitely should be used and also rubber bird blunts.
      >The object is to knock the bird off of its perch. If you actually stick
      >it into the target, you now have a heavier pointy arrow plummeting to
      >the ground with the poppinjay bird attached (pointy arrow? danger?). At
      >the very least, you'll break arrows. We've used and liked the rubber
      >bird blunts although Baldar blunts will also work just fine.
      > Traditionally the targets are carved from wood, but if you want a
      >more "site friendly" substance, I would suggest making them out of the
      >same high density foam that the modern targets butts are made from. Many
      >dealers sell the replacement cores for the big foam targets. We use them
      >for the "Knock-a-Block" stump shoot at our archery club. This way if any
      >by-standers or archers should be standing under it as it falls to the
      >ground they will be clocked in the head by a soft foam rather than a
      >heavy wooden "brick".
      >Poppinjay is a fun shoot, 20 feet is a good height for SCA shooters.
      >-Geoffrei

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Hugh Prescott
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 5 7:41 PM
        WOW

        Just getting that up in the air is going to be one h%!! of a job.

        Real safety problems here

        And its been tried on a lesser scale and it was a miserable failure.

        Hugh

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 5 11:25 PM
          We have already shot at smaller popinjays and never had a problem. With
          the nature of the range we have available, safety is not a concern. As for
          setting it up, we have a plan. I'll post a notice if we get the logistics
          worked out and can set this up at Great Western War..
          Carolus

        • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 6 12:05 AM
            Greetings.
            I've shot at poppinjay shoots a few times (mundanely) and it's a
            lot of fun. We've never encountered any real safety issues that were a
            problem, although our targets were only about 25 feet in the air and we
            shot them from a line on one side only (our field didn't allow for
            shooting from all four sides as I've seen in the British video). So long
            as you are careful and keep aware of the surroundings, no bad issues
            should arise. Wind can be a hassle, knocking the birds off of the perch
            before anyone shoots at them, but other than that....have a party! ;-)
            90 feet in the air? Yikes! I wouldn't want to set that one up.
            You'll need some heavy duty anchoring to keep that puppy standing. I
            don't envy the set-up crew. Still......it sounds like fun, I wish I
            could attend.....good luck with it.
            -Geoffrei