Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Norse themed shoot

  • Denmark2Vikings@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
      In a message dated 4/4/2005 10:49:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      cobalt60@... writes:

      That was the test of Adultry in THE VIKINGS with Kirk Douglas right?

      Brian :o)

      Indeed it was !!!

      Walter

    • Michael Scherrer
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5, 2005
        Try the hobby shops or check with friends that may have old wigs.
        We did this several years ago. Two braids of hair and ran across a throwing
        butt.
        Cut the braids and win or continue in the contest. Put an ax between the
        braids and you
        got to sit down and give the rest of the throwers a hard time.

        Thomas

        >From: "Brian du Val" <cobalt60@...>
        >To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Norse themed shoot
        >Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 21:54:27 -0500
        >

        >That was the test of Adultry in THE VIKINGS with Kirk Douglas right?
        >
        > Brian :o)

      • petercmoe
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 5, 2005
          If you have or know folks that have livestock you may look for baling
          twine from hay or
          straw bales. It's a tough fiber, and you can braid several strands
          together for that rapunzel
          look. My Mother, who raises Connemara ponies, has a great big stack,
          and we use this
          stuff for all manner of purposes. Have never heard of anyone actually
          asking for money for
          twine. So, you could make up several sets if needed with only the
          sweat of braiding as your
          expense. And, it looks like coarse hair from 20 yards...

          Petr

          Petr Skaldarbitr
          Bright Hills, Atlantia

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Scherrer"

        • Kristine Casper
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 5, 2005
            Hodur-Loki

            The Hodur-Loki shoot is played with teams of two shooters; one who plays the
            blind archer, Hodur (and yes, the archer is blindfolded for the full
            effect!) and one who plays Loki, guiding Hodur's aim to the scoring target.
            After three arrows, the roles are reversed. Winning scores are usually in
            the range of 5 points. (Okay - you're thinking, "Five points?!? That's
            all?" Trust me, blind shooting is a real challenge!)

            Berserker

            (I lifted this text right out of the Greenwood Company's Grand Tournament of
            Archery, A.S. 39 event publication.)

            As the Royal Archery Champion, you assume your customary place behind the
            thrones at the start of Court. In typical fashion, it's another long and
            excruciatingly ... um, interesting affair, and finally nature's call can no
            longer be ignored. You beg leave of Their Majesties to use the Royal Privy
            (conveniently located some ten paces behind the dais) and put down your
            weapon to take care of some much-needed personal business. Just as you are
            about to enter the privy, a Berserker in full battle rage bursts through the
            doors of the Great Hall and charges the thrones. You run back to your
            station, pick up your weapon, and proceed to dispatch the intruder with all
            possible haste.

            As everyone knows, a single mortal wound will barely slow a Berserker before
            he can cover the 40-yard length of the Great Hall and rain death upon the
            Crowns, so it will take three hits to stop the attack. The 1st shot is on
            the 40-yard target and can either be a kill or a wound. The 2nd shot is on
            the 30-yard target and this shot must be a kill (head, neck, heart, lung,
            groin). The 3rd shot is on the 20-yard target and this shot must be an
            instant kill (head, neck, heart, groin).

            The archer starts shooting at the 40-yard target until a hit is called, then
            shifts fire to the 30-yard until a hit is called at this distance. The
            archer then finishes off the villain at 20 yards with the instant kill,
            returns the weapon to its stand and runs back to the privy to complete the
            urgent personal business so rudely interrupted. The score is the total time
            it takes to get to the shooting station, score three hits, and return to the
            starting line. Lowest total time wins. Running out of arrows/bolts before
            scoring the three hits means the attack has succeeded and you and the Crowns
            you are supposed to be protecting are dead.

            (Or worse, the heavy weapons champion or rapier champion kill the Berserker
            at the foot of the Crowns, much to the archer's eternal shame!)

            Modifications and suggestions:

            If you have archers who are not able to run from the privy to the line, you
            can have a proxy (usually an enthusiastic youth) do the running and tag the
            archer on the line to start his/her shoot.

            If your archers aren't able to hit at 40/30/20 (especially for kids),
            20/15/10 works fine.

            If you have access to a large-scale plotter, you can print pictures of a
            Berserker and use those as targets (we've used the "Flame Berserker":
            http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=flame+berserker&sm=Yahoo%21+S
            earch&fr=FP-tab-img-t&toggle=1), otherwise, you'll have to improvise.

            Bring binoculars or a spotting scope and have one person dedicated to
            watching the targets/calling the hit. The marshal can really only focus on
            line safety and clock-watching simultaneously.

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
              Why not put a mock up of a viking longship at a distance and shoot at it in
              a "clout shoot" fashon like they did to light some of the viking funeral
              ships. There is a description of one of these in the winter 2003 copy of
              "Primitive Archer" Magazine. I also read about vikings shooting a target
              throgh rope hoops lined up and hung from tree branches. It seems this was a
              way to tune the bow and arrows to cut down on drift and paradox.

              Ld. Ronan MacMorton
            • petercmoe
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
                Our MIC Lady Reyne Telarius set up a couple of Viking shoots on the
                Beowulf theme at an event last year, which we have since repeated
                with variation.

                1. Five targets (large, printed on a plotter, but they could be drawn
                and painted) are mounted onto foam core sheets about 24"x48"; four
                viking warriors (NO HORNED HELMETS), and one of Beowulf fighting a
                Dragon. The dragon is centered at 20 yards, with the warriors
                staggered left and right so that two archers at the line have shots
                at all four vikings. Six arrows, two archers at a time, can be time-
                limited. You must hit all four vikings before shooting for the
                dragon. One point each for the vikings, three points for hitting the
                dragon, and minus five for hitting poor Beowulf while trying for the
                dragon.

                2. Same shoot, except with a visored helmet. A roll of posterboard is
                formed into a couple of sized of tubes to fit over different sized
                heads, in which a slot is cut (about 3" x 8") and covered with
                colored plastic sheeting. Challenging and fun.

                3. A Beowulf version of monster dice. Four six-sided targets (foam
                cubes about 12") have different characters on each side. Each target
                has three sea monsters, a dragon, Grendel, and Grendel's mother on
                the faces. Six arrows, four archers at a time, 30 seconds. You can
                shoot at any of the 4 dice, but you must shoot any three sea monsters
                before you can shoot for the dragon, Grendel or Grendel's mother.
                Points for each side are predetermined. We have since shot this with
                points for each side blindly randomized.

                4. This shoot has not been attempted, but you may try a 'lutefisk
                challenge', in which filets of lutefisk are launced into the air for
                a skeet-like shoot. But first, you have to find someone to handle the
                lutefisk -- not an easy task. The winner would get one lutefisk,
                second place would get two lutefisk, and so on...

                Thanks to Lady Reyne for setting up the shoots, and for not
                attempting shoot #4.

                - Petr

                Petr Skaldarbitr of Bright Hills, Atlantia

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine Killigrew"