Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Norse themed shoot

  • Denmark2Vikings@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
      In a message dated 4/4/2005 10:49:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      cobalt60@... writes:

      That was the test of Adultry in THE VIKINGS with Kirk Douglas right?

      Brian :o)

      Indeed it was !!!

      Walter

    • Janet
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5, 2005
        Why not use the long balloons for the braids?
        Erriil

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Cyan of Storvik" <terry@f...>
        wrote:

        > Off the top of my head.
        > There is a norse myth about cutting the hair braids off of a tavern
        > maiden's head by hurling axes at her. I don't remember the context
        of
        > myth, and they were using battle axes, but
        > maybe you could you could have an image of a woman standing against
        > wall and have some kind of braided hair attached to something
        > (say a small balloon?) that would drop the braid when you hit it.
      • Michael Scherrer
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 5, 2005
          Try the hobby shops or check with friends that may have old wigs.
          We did this several years ago. Two braids of hair and ran across a throwing
          butt.
          Cut the braids and win or continue in the contest. Put an ax between the
          braids and you
          got to sit down and give the rest of the throwers a hard time.

          Thomas

          >From: "Brian du Val" <cobalt60@...>
          >To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Norse themed shoot
          >Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 21:54:27 -0500
          >

          >That was the test of Adultry in THE VIKINGS with Kirk Douglas right?
          >
          > Brian :o)

        • petercmoe
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 5, 2005
            If you have or know folks that have livestock you may look for baling
            twine from hay or
            straw bales. It's a tough fiber, and you can braid several strands
            together for that rapunzel
            look. My Mother, who raises Connemara ponies, has a great big stack,
            and we use this
            stuff for all manner of purposes. Have never heard of anyone actually
            asking for money for
            twine. So, you could make up several sets if needed with only the
            sweat of braiding as your
            expense. And, it looks like coarse hair from 20 yards...

            Petr

            Petr Skaldarbitr
            Bright Hills, Atlantia

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Scherrer"

          • Kristine Casper
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 5, 2005
              Hodur-Loki

              The Hodur-Loki shoot is played with teams of two shooters; one who plays the
              blind archer, Hodur (and yes, the archer is blindfolded for the full
              effect!) and one who plays Loki, guiding Hodur's aim to the scoring target.
              After three arrows, the roles are reversed. Winning scores are usually in
              the range of 5 points. (Okay - you're thinking, "Five points?!? That's
              all?" Trust me, blind shooting is a real challenge!)

              Berserker

              (I lifted this text right out of the Greenwood Company's Grand Tournament of
              Archery, A.S. 39 event publication.)

              As the Royal Archery Champion, you assume your customary place behind the
              thrones at the start of Court. In typical fashion, it's another long and
              excruciatingly ... um, interesting affair, and finally nature's call can no
              longer be ignored. You beg leave of Their Majesties to use the Royal Privy
              (conveniently located some ten paces behind the dais) and put down your
              weapon to take care of some much-needed personal business. Just as you are
              about to enter the privy, a Berserker in full battle rage bursts through the
              doors of the Great Hall and charges the thrones. You run back to your
              station, pick up your weapon, and proceed to dispatch the intruder with all
              possible haste.

              As everyone knows, a single mortal wound will barely slow a Berserker before
              he can cover the 40-yard length of the Great Hall and rain death upon the
              Crowns, so it will take three hits to stop the attack. The 1st shot is on
              the 40-yard target and can either be a kill or a wound. The 2nd shot is on
              the 30-yard target and this shot must be a kill (head, neck, heart, lung,
              groin). The 3rd shot is on the 20-yard target and this shot must be an
              instant kill (head, neck, heart, groin).

              The archer starts shooting at the 40-yard target until a hit is called, then
              shifts fire to the 30-yard until a hit is called at this distance. The
              archer then finishes off the villain at 20 yards with the instant kill,
              returns the weapon to its stand and runs back to the privy to complete the
              urgent personal business so rudely interrupted. The score is the total time
              it takes to get to the shooting station, score three hits, and return to the
              starting line. Lowest total time wins. Running out of arrows/bolts before
              scoring the three hits means the attack has succeeded and you and the Crowns
              you are supposed to be protecting are dead.

              (Or worse, the heavy weapons champion or rapier champion kill the Berserker
              at the foot of the Crowns, much to the archer's eternal shame!)

              Modifications and suggestions:

              If you have archers who are not able to run from the privy to the line, you
              can have a proxy (usually an enthusiastic youth) do the running and tag the
              archer on the line to start his/her shoot.

              If your archers aren't able to hit at 40/30/20 (especially for kids),
              20/15/10 works fine.

              If you have access to a large-scale plotter, you can print pictures of a
              Berserker and use those as targets (we've used the "Flame Berserker":
              http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=flame+berserker&sm=Yahoo%21+S
              earch&fr=FP-tab-img-t&toggle=1), otherwise, you'll have to improvise.

              Bring binoculars or a spotting scope and have one person dedicated to
              watching the targets/calling the hit. The marshal can really only focus on
              line safety and clock-watching simultaneously.

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
                Why not put a mock up of a viking longship at a distance and shoot at it in
                a "clout shoot" fashon like they did to light some of the viking funeral
                ships. There is a description of one of these in the winter 2003 copy of
                "Primitive Archer" Magazine. I also read about vikings shooting a target
                throgh rope hoops lined up and hung from tree branches. It seems this was a
                way to tune the bow and arrows to cut down on drift and paradox.

                Ld. Ronan MacMorton
              • petercmoe
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
                  Our MIC Lady Reyne Telarius set up a couple of Viking shoots on the
                  Beowulf theme at an event last year, which we have since repeated
                  with variation.

                  1. Five targets (large, printed on a plotter, but they could be drawn
                  and painted) are mounted onto foam core sheets about 24"x48"; four
                  viking warriors (NO HORNED HELMETS), and one of Beowulf fighting a
                  Dragon. The dragon is centered at 20 yards, with the warriors
                  staggered left and right so that two archers at the line have shots
                  at all four vikings. Six arrows, two archers at a time, can be time-
                  limited. You must hit all four vikings before shooting for the
                  dragon. One point each for the vikings, three points for hitting the
                  dragon, and minus five for hitting poor Beowulf while trying for the
                  dragon.

                  2. Same shoot, except with a visored helmet. A roll of posterboard is
                  formed into a couple of sized of tubes to fit over different sized
                  heads, in which a slot is cut (about 3" x 8") and covered with
                  colored plastic sheeting. Challenging and fun.

                  3. A Beowulf version of monster dice. Four six-sided targets (foam
                  cubes about 12") have different characters on each side. Each target
                  has three sea monsters, a dragon, Grendel, and Grendel's mother on
                  the faces. Six arrows, four archers at a time, 30 seconds. You can
                  shoot at any of the 4 dice, but you must shoot any three sea monsters
                  before you can shoot for the dragon, Grendel or Grendel's mother.
                  Points for each side are predetermined. We have since shot this with
                  points for each side blindly randomized.

                  4. This shoot has not been attempted, but you may try a 'lutefisk
                  challenge', in which filets of lutefisk are launced into the air for
                  a skeet-like shoot. But first, you have to find someone to handle the
                  lutefisk -- not an easy task. The winner would get one lutefisk,
                  second place would get two lutefisk, and so on...

                  Thanks to Lady Reyne for setting up the shoots, and for not
                  attempting shoot #4.

                  - Petr

                  Petr Skaldarbitr of Bright Hills, Atlantia

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine Killigrew"