Re: [SCA-Archery] Poppin Jay targets

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
      Use Flu Flus and bird blunts or for the really fun combat arrows.

      James Cunningham
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 5, 2005
        We have a gentleman here in Caid who proposed making one of drill
        pipe. The plan was to use 3 lengths of 30 foot pipe to give us a 30 yard
        high popinjay. As we have nearly 200 yards downrange and clear
        area (though brushy) beyond and plan on using flu-flus this will work here.
        Carolus

        At 02:54 PM 4/4/2005, you wrote:

        >Any one have ideas or pics of how to make Poppin Jay targets?
        >
        >The ones I have seen currently in England are at the top of a 40 some odd
        >tall pole, that would make people freak shooting up in the air like that.
        >Looking for more of a down to earth solution.
        >
        >Thank you
        >
        >Simon Hondy

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        >--
      • Michael Scherrer
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 5, 2005
          Shooter friendly.
          Try your sporting goods stores for doves. " Decoys" They have a challenging
          size and look
          like a bird.
          I have several that I have split the backs, filled with expanding foam and
          than use rubber bands
          to hold shut till the foam sets. I like to open up the birds to make sure
          the the foam fills the
          cavity, and can make sure that the fill "cures".
          I than painted the birds green. You end up with a light weight, easy to
          transport,
          shooter friendly target. With out a great deal of cost involved.

          Thomas

          >From: jrosswebb1@...
          >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Poppin Jay targets
          >Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 00:42:26 -0400
          >

          >Greetings,
          > There have been a few good suggestions for the poppin jay. If you
          >get a copy of the British video "Archery-its forms and practices" by
          >Mike Loades, there is a few shots of a very effective poppin jay target
          >that looks very much like what was described by a previous poster.
          > Flu Flus definitely should be used and also rubber bird blunts.
          >The object is to knock the bird off of its perch. If you actually stick
          >it into the target, you now have a heavier pointy arrow plummeting to
          >the ground with the poppinjay bird attached (pointy arrow? danger?). At
          >the very least, you'll break arrows. We've used and liked the rubber
          >bird blunts although Baldar blunts will also work just fine.
          > Traditionally the targets are carved from wood, but if you want a
          >more "site friendly" substance, I would suggest making them out of the
          >same high density foam that the modern targets butts are made from. Many
          >dealers sell the replacement cores for the big foam targets. We use them
          >for the "Knock-a-Block" stump shoot at our archery club. This way if any
          >by-standers or archers should be standing under it as it falls to the
          >ground they will be clocked in the head by a soft foam rather than a
          >heavy wooden "brick".
          >Poppinjay is a fun shoot, 20 feet is a good height for SCA shooters.
          >-Geoffrei

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Hugh Prescott
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 5, 2005
            WOW

            Just getting that up in the air is going to be one h%!! of a job.

            Real safety problems here

            And its been tried on a lesser scale and it was a miserable failure.

            Hugh

            > We have a gentleman here in Caid who proposed making one of drill
            > pipe. The plan was to use 3 lengths of 30 foot pipe to give us a 30 yard
            > high popinjay. As we have nearly 200 yards downrange and clear
            > area (though brushy) beyond and plan on using flu-flus this will work
            here.
            > Carolus
            >
            > At 02:54 PM 4/4/2005, you wrote:
            >

            > >Any one have ideas or pics of how to make Poppin Jay targets?
            > >
            > >The ones I have seen currently in England are at the top of a 40 some odd
            > >tall pole, that would make people freak shooting up in the air like
            that.
            > >Looking for more of a down to earth solution.
            > >
            > >Thank you
            > >
            > >Simon Hondy

            > >Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >

            > >--

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Carolus von Eulenhorst
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 5, 2005
              We have already shot at smaller popinjays and never had a problem. With
              the nature of the range we have available, safety is not a concern. As for
              setting it up, we have a plan. I'll post a notice if we get the logistics
              worked out and can set this up at Great Western War..
              Carolus

            • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 6, 2005
                Greetings.
                I've shot at poppinjay shoots a few times (mundanely) and it's a
                lot of fun. We've never encountered any real safety issues that were a
                problem, although our targets were only about 25 feet in the air and we
                shot them from a line on one side only (our field didn't allow for
                shooting from all four sides as I've seen in the British video). So long
                as you are careful and keep aware of the surroundings, no bad issues
                should arise. Wind can be a hassle, knocking the birds off of the perch
                before anyone shoots at them, but other than that....have a party! ;-)
                90 feet in the air? Yikes! I wouldn't want to set that one up.
                You'll need some heavy duty anchoring to keep that puppy standing. I
                don't envy the set-up crew. Still......it sounds like fun, I wish I
                could attend.....good luck with it.
                -Geoffrei