Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Norse themed shoot

  • Brian du Val
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
      That was the test of Adultry in THE VIKINGS with Kirk Douglas right?

      Brian :o)
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2005
        In a message dated 4/4/2005 10:49:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        cobalt60@... writes:

        That was the test of Adultry in THE VIKINGS with Kirk Douglas right?

        Brian :o)

        Indeed it was !!!

        Walter

      • Janet
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 5, 2005
          Why not use the long balloons for the braids?
          Erriil

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Cyan of Storvik" <terry@f...>
          wrote:

          > Off the top of my head.
          > There is a norse myth about cutting the hair braids off of a tavern
          > maiden's head by hurling axes at her. I don't remember the context
          of
          > myth, and they were using battle axes, but
          > maybe you could you could have an image of a woman standing against
          > wall and have some kind of braided hair attached to something
          > (say a small balloon?) that would drop the braid when you hit it.
        • Michael Scherrer
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 5, 2005
            Try the hobby shops or check with friends that may have old wigs.
            We did this several years ago. Two braids of hair and ran across a throwing
            butt.
            Cut the braids and win or continue in the contest. Put an ax between the
            braids and you
            got to sit down and give the rest of the throwers a hard time.

            Thomas

            >From: "Brian du Val" <cobalt60@...>
            >To: <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Norse themed shoot
            >Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 21:54:27 -0500
            >

            >That was the test of Adultry in THE VIKINGS with Kirk Douglas right?
            >
            > Brian :o)

          • petercmoe
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 5, 2005
              If you have or know folks that have livestock you may look for baling
              twine from hay or
              straw bales. It's a tough fiber, and you can braid several strands
              together for that rapunzel
              look. My Mother, who raises Connemara ponies, has a great big stack,
              and we use this
              stuff for all manner of purposes. Have never heard of anyone actually
              asking for money for
              twine. So, you could make up several sets if needed with only the
              sweat of braiding as your
              expense. And, it looks like coarse hair from 20 yards...

              Petr

              Petr Skaldarbitr
              Bright Hills, Atlantia

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Scherrer"

            • Kristine Casper
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 5, 2005
                Hodur-Loki

                The Hodur-Loki shoot is played with teams of two shooters; one who plays the
                blind archer, Hodur (and yes, the archer is blindfolded for the full
                effect!) and one who plays Loki, guiding Hodur's aim to the scoring target.
                After three arrows, the roles are reversed. Winning scores are usually in
                the range of 5 points. (Okay - you're thinking, "Five points?!? That's
                all?" Trust me, blind shooting is a real challenge!)

                Berserker

                (I lifted this text right out of the Greenwood Company's Grand Tournament of
                Archery, A.S. 39 event publication.)

                As the Royal Archery Champion, you assume your customary place behind the
                thrones at the start of Court. In typical fashion, it's another long and
                excruciatingly ... um, interesting affair, and finally nature's call can no
                longer be ignored. You beg leave of Their Majesties to use the Royal Privy
                (conveniently located some ten paces behind the dais) and put down your
                weapon to take care of some much-needed personal business. Just as you are
                about to enter the privy, a Berserker in full battle rage bursts through the
                doors of the Great Hall and charges the thrones. You run back to your
                station, pick up your weapon, and proceed to dispatch the intruder with all
                possible haste.

                As everyone knows, a single mortal wound will barely slow a Berserker before
                he can cover the 40-yard length of the Great Hall and rain death upon the
                Crowns, so it will take three hits to stop the attack. The 1st shot is on
                the 40-yard target and can either be a kill or a wound. The 2nd shot is on
                the 30-yard target and this shot must be a kill (head, neck, heart, lung,
                groin). The 3rd shot is on the 20-yard target and this shot must be an
                instant kill (head, neck, heart, groin).

                The archer starts shooting at the 40-yard target until a hit is called, then
                shifts fire to the 30-yard until a hit is called at this distance. The
                archer then finishes off the villain at 20 yards with the instant kill,
                returns the weapon to its stand and runs back to the privy to complete the
                urgent personal business so rudely interrupted. The score is the total time
                it takes to get to the shooting station, score three hits, and return to the
                starting line. Lowest total time wins. Running out of arrows/bolts before
                scoring the three hits means the attack has succeeded and you and the Crowns
                you are supposed to be protecting are dead.

                (Or worse, the heavy weapons champion or rapier champion kill the Berserker
                at the foot of the Crowns, much to the archer's eternal shame!)

                Modifications and suggestions:

                If you have archers who are not able to run from the privy to the line, you
                can have a proxy (usually an enthusiastic youth) do the running and tag the
                archer on the line to start his/her shoot.

                If your archers aren't able to hit at 40/30/20 (especially for kids),
                20/15/10 works fine.

                If you have access to a large-scale plotter, you can print pictures of a
                Berserker and use those as targets (we've used the "Flame Berserker":
                http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=flame+berserker&sm=Yahoo%21+S
                earch&fr=FP-tab-img-t&toggle=1), otherwise, you'll have to improvise.

                Bring binoculars or a spotting scope and have one person dedicated to
                watching the targets/calling the hit. The marshal can really only focus on
                line safety and clock-watching simultaneously.

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
                  Why not put a mock up of a viking longship at a distance and shoot at it in
                  a "clout shoot" fashon like they did to light some of the viking funeral
                  ships. There is a description of one of these in the winter 2003 copy of
                  "Primitive Archer" Magazine. I also read about vikings shooting a target
                  throgh rope hoops lined up and hung from tree branches. It seems this was a
                  way to tune the bow and arrows to cut down on drift and paradox.

                  Ld. Ronan MacMorton
                • petercmoe
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 6, 2005
                    Our MIC Lady Reyne Telarius set up a couple of Viking shoots on the
                    Beowulf theme at an event last year, which we have since repeated
                    with variation.

                    1. Five targets (large, printed on a plotter, but they could be drawn
                    and painted) are mounted onto foam core sheets about 24"x48"; four
                    viking warriors (NO HORNED HELMETS), and one of Beowulf fighting a
                    Dragon. The dragon is centered at 20 yards, with the warriors
                    staggered left and right so that two archers at the line have shots
                    at all four vikings. Six arrows, two archers at a time, can be time-
                    limited. You must hit all four vikings before shooting for the
                    dragon. One point each for the vikings, three points for hitting the
                    dragon, and minus five for hitting poor Beowulf while trying for the
                    dragon.

                    2. Same shoot, except with a visored helmet. A roll of posterboard is
                    formed into a couple of sized of tubes to fit over different sized
                    heads, in which a slot is cut (about 3" x 8") and covered with
                    colored plastic sheeting. Challenging and fun.

                    3. A Beowulf version of monster dice. Four six-sided targets (foam
                    cubes about 12") have different characters on each side. Each target
                    has three sea monsters, a dragon, Grendel, and Grendel's mother on
                    the faces. Six arrows, four archers at a time, 30 seconds. You can
                    shoot at any of the 4 dice, but you must shoot any three sea monsters
                    before you can shoot for the dragon, Grendel or Grendel's mother.
                    Points for each side are predetermined. We have since shot this with
                    points for each side blindly randomized.

                    4. This shoot has not been attempted, but you may try a 'lutefisk
                    challenge', in which filets of lutefisk are launced into the air for
                    a skeet-like shoot. But first, you have to find someone to handle the
                    lutefisk -- not an easy task. The winner would get one lutefisk,
                    second place would get two lutefisk, and so on...

                    Thanks to Lady Reyne for setting up the shoots, and for not
                    attempting shoot #4.

                    - Petr

                    Petr Skaldarbitr of Bright Hills, Atlantia

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Katherine Killigrew"