Re: [SCA-Archery] Poppin Jay targets

  • Hal Clark
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
      We just shot the Pop in Jay at Feathers in the Gleann. The pole was only twenty feet. Used one and 1/2 inch pvc. More than 20' flexed too much to erect without a crane. At top, drill a 5/8"
      hole clear through the PVC and insert a 36" x1/2" pvc. Run a strong cord through the insert and suspend the "bird" from this with the cord coming back down to ground level. Tie another light cord above the "bird" and bring to ground level. This lets you pull one cord to bring the "bird" down and remove arrows and the other cord to take the "bird" up. Keep cords well separated so they don't tangle.
      The bird was made with a childs size nerf football. Cut slits in proper positions and insert feathers for wings and tail. Lack of resistance makes it difficult to stick an arrow into this. Many of our archers hit the bird but only two arrows were able to remain in the bird.

      arrow fall was 100+yards away. Takes a lot of room.
      Walk Tall
      BAron Ben

      From: "Jeff Elder" <scholari@...>
      Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:54:03 -0500

      Sent via the KillerWebMail system at dfn.com

      ---
    • Eadric Anstapa
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
        Jeff Elder <scholari@...> said:

        > Any one have ideas or pics of how to make Poppin Jay targets?
        >
        > The ones I have seen currently in England are at the top of a 40
        some odd
        > tall pole, that would make people freak shooting up in the air
        like that.
        > Looking for more of a down to earth solution.
        >
        > Thank you
        >
        > Simon Hondy

        There is a form of horizontal popinjay shoot that goes by various
        names. It is called "Ligende Wipp" in Belgium, I forget what it is
        called in france and portugal. They have a massive horizontal
        popinjay championship shoot in Belgium each year.

        Do a google search (with quotes) for either "Ligende Wipp" or
        "horizontal popinjay" and you should find something.

        Regards,

        --
        HL Eadric Anstapa
        DSEM CA
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
          Greetings,
          There have been a few good suggestions for the poppin jay. If you
          get a copy of the British video "Archery-its forms and practices" by
          Mike Loades, there is a few shots of a very effective poppin jay target
          that looks very much like what was described by a previous poster.
          Flu Flus definitely should be used and also rubber bird blunts.
          The object is to knock the bird off of its perch. If you actually stick
          it into the target, you now have a heavier pointy arrow plummeting to
          the ground with the poppinjay bird attached (pointy arrow? danger?). At
          the very least, you'll break arrows. We've used and liked the rubber
          bird blunts although Baldar blunts will also work just fine.
          Traditionally the targets are carved from wood, but if you want a
          more "site friendly" substance, I would suggest making them out of the
          same high density foam that the modern targets butts are made from. Many
          dealers sell the replacement cores for the big foam targets. We use them
          for the "Knock-a-Block" stump shoot at our archery club. This way if any
          by-standers or archers should be standing under it as it falls to the
          ground they will be clocked in the head by a soft foam rather than a
          heavy wooden "brick".
          Poppinjay is a fun shoot, 20 feet is a good height for SCA shooters.
          -Geoffrei
        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2005
            Use Flu Flus and bird blunts or for the really fun combat arrows.

            James Cunningham
            > Any one have ideas or pics of how to make Poppin Jay targets?
            >
            > The ones I have seen currently in England are at the top of a 40 some odd
            > tall pole, that would make people freak shooting up in the air like that.
            > Looking for more of a down to earth solution.
            >
            > Thank you
            >
            > Simon Hondy

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Carolus von Eulenhorst
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 5, 2005
              We have a gentleman here in Caid who proposed making one of drill
              pipe. The plan was to use 3 lengths of 30 foot pipe to give us a 30 yard
              high popinjay. As we have nearly 200 yards downrange and clear
              area (though brushy) beyond and plan on using flu-flus this will work here.
              Carolus

              At 02:54 PM 4/4/2005, you wrote:

              >Any one have ideas or pics of how to make Poppin Jay targets?
              >
              >The ones I have seen currently in England are at the top of a 40 some odd
              >tall pole, that would make people freak shooting up in the air like that.
              >Looking for more of a down to earth solution.
              >
              >Thank you
              >
              >Simon Hondy

              >Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              >--
            • Michael Scherrer
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 5, 2005
                Shooter friendly.
                Try your sporting goods stores for doves. " Decoys" They have a challenging
                size and look
                like a bird.
                I have several that I have split the backs, filled with expanding foam and
                than use rubber bands
                to hold shut till the foam sets. I like to open up the birds to make sure
                the the foam fills the
                cavity, and can make sure that the fill "cures".
                I than painted the birds green. You end up with a light weight, easy to
                transport,
                shooter friendly target. With out a great deal of cost involved.

                Thomas

                >From: jrosswebb1@...
                >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Poppin Jay targets
                >Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 00:42:26 -0400
                >

                >Greetings,
                > There have been a few good suggestions for the poppin jay. If you
                >get a copy of the British video "Archery-its forms and practices" by
                >Mike Loades, there is a few shots of a very effective poppin jay target
                >that looks very much like what was described by a previous poster.
                > Flu Flus definitely should be used and also rubber bird blunts.
                >The object is to knock the bird off of its perch. If you actually stick
                >it into the target, you now have a heavier pointy arrow plummeting to
                >the ground with the poppinjay bird attached (pointy arrow? danger?). At
                >the very least, you'll break arrows. We've used and liked the rubber
                >bird blunts although Baldar blunts will also work just fine.
                > Traditionally the targets are carved from wood, but if you want a
                >more "site friendly" substance, I would suggest making them out of the
                >same high density foam that the modern targets butts are made from. Many
                >dealers sell the replacement cores for the big foam targets. We use them
                >for the "Knock-a-Block" stump shoot at our archery club. This way if any
                >by-standers or archers should be standing under it as it falls to the
                >ground they will be clocked in the head by a soft foam rather than a
                >heavy wooden "brick".
                >Poppinjay is a fun shoot, 20 feet is a good height for SCA shooters.
                >-Geoffrei

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Hugh Prescott
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 5, 2005
                  WOW

                  Just getting that up in the air is going to be one h%!! of a job.

                  Real safety problems here

                  And its been tried on a lesser scale and it was a miserable failure.

                  Hugh

                  > We have a gentleman here in Caid who proposed making one of drill
                  > pipe. The plan was to use 3 lengths of 30 foot pipe to give us a 30 yard
                  > high popinjay. As we have nearly 200 yards downrange and clear
                  > area (though brushy) beyond and plan on using flu-flus this will work
                  here.
                  > Carolus
                  >
                  > At 02:54 PM 4/4/2005, you wrote:
                  >

                  > >Any one have ideas or pics of how to make Poppin Jay targets?
                  > >
                  > >The ones I have seen currently in England are at the top of a 40 some odd
                  > >tall pole, that would make people freak shooting up in the air like
                  that.
                  > >Looking for more of a down to earth solution.
                  > >
                  > >Thank you
                  > >
                  > >Simon Hondy

                  > >Yahoo! Groups Links
                  > >

                  > >--

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Carolus von Eulenhorst
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 5, 2005
                    We have already shot at smaller popinjays and never had a problem. With
                    the nature of the range we have available, safety is not a concern. As for
                    setting it up, we have a plan. I'll post a notice if we get the logistics
                    worked out and can set this up at Great Western War..
                    Carolus

                  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 6, 2005
                      Greetings.
                      I've shot at poppinjay shoots a few times (mundanely) and it's a
                      lot of fun. We've never encountered any real safety issues that were a
                      problem, although our targets were only about 25 feet in the air and we
                      shot them from a line on one side only (our field didn't allow for
                      shooting from all four sides as I've seen in the British video). So long
                      as you are careful and keep aware of the surroundings, no bad issues
                      should arise. Wind can be a hassle, knocking the birds off of the perch
                      before anyone shoots at them, but other than that....have a party! ;-)
                      90 feet in the air? Yikes! I wouldn't want to set that one up.
                      You'll need some heavy duty anchoring to keep that puppy standing. I
                      don't envy the set-up crew. Still......it sounds like fun, I wish I
                      could attend.....good luck with it.
                      -Geoffrei