Poppin Jay targets

  • Jeff Elder
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4 2:54 PM
      Any one have ideas or pics of how to make Poppin Jay targets?

      The ones I have seen currently in England are at the top of a 40 some odd
      tall pole, that would make people freak shooting up in the air like that.
      Looking for more of a down to earth solution.

      Thank you

      Simon Hondy
    • Brian du Val
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4 3:06 PM
        On the Poppin Jay target shoot you would think that flu-flu arrows would be
        in order. they loose energy quickly after about 20 or 30 yards and are easy
        to find later.

        Brian :o)
      • Hal Clark
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4 3:10 PM
          We just shot the Pop in Jay at Feathers in the Gleann. The pole was only twenty feet. Used one and 1/2 inch pvc. More than 20' flexed too much to erect without a crane. At top, drill a 5/8"
          hole clear through the PVC and insert a 36" x1/2" pvc. Run a strong cord through the insert and suspend the "bird" from this with the cord coming back down to ground level. Tie another light cord above the "bird" and bring to ground level. This lets you pull one cord to bring the "bird" down and remove arrows and the other cord to take the "bird" up. Keep cords well separated so they don't tangle.
          The bird was made with a childs size nerf football. Cut slits in proper positions and insert feathers for wings and tail. Lack of resistance makes it difficult to stick an arrow into this. Many of our archers hit the bird but only two arrows were able to remain in the bird.

          arrow fall was 100+yards away. Takes a lot of room.
          Walk Tall
          BAron Ben

          From: "Jeff Elder" <scholari@...>
          Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:54:03 -0500

          Sent via the KillerWebMail system at dfn.com

          ---
        • Eadric Anstapa
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4 3:21 PM
            Jeff Elder <scholari@...> said:

            > Any one have ideas or pics of how to make Poppin Jay targets?
            >
            > The ones I have seen currently in England are at the top of a 40
            some odd
            > tall pole, that would make people freak shooting up in the air
            like that.
            > Looking for more of a down to earth solution.
            >
            > Thank you
            >
            > Simon Hondy

            There is a form of horizontal popinjay shoot that goes by various
            names. It is called "Ligende Wipp" in Belgium, I forget what it is
            called in france and portugal. They have a massive horizontal
            popinjay championship shoot in Belgium each year.

            Do a google search (with quotes) for either "Ligende Wipp" or
            "horizontal popinjay" and you should find something.

            Regards,

            --
            HL Eadric Anstapa
            DSEM CA
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4 9:42 PM
              Greetings,
              There have been a few good suggestions for the poppin jay. If you
              get a copy of the British video "Archery-its forms and practices" by
              Mike Loades, there is a few shots of a very effective poppin jay target
              that looks very much like what was described by a previous poster.
              Flu Flus definitely should be used and also rubber bird blunts.
              The object is to knock the bird off of its perch. If you actually stick
              it into the target, you now have a heavier pointy arrow plummeting to
              the ground with the poppinjay bird attached (pointy arrow? danger?). At
              the very least, you'll break arrows. We've used and liked the rubber
              bird blunts although Baldar blunts will also work just fine.
              Traditionally the targets are carved from wood, but if you want a
              more "site friendly" substance, I would suggest making them out of the
              same high density foam that the modern targets butts are made from. Many
              dealers sell the replacement cores for the big foam targets. We use them
              for the "Knock-a-Block" stump shoot at our archery club. This way if any
              by-standers or archers should be standing under it as it falls to the
              ground they will be clocked in the head by a soft foam rather than a
              heavy wooden "brick".
              Poppinjay is a fun shoot, 20 feet is a good height for SCA shooters.
              -Geoffrei
            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4 10:11 PM
                Use Flu Flus and bird blunts or for the really fun combat arrows.

                James Cunningham
                > Any one have ideas or pics of how to make Poppin Jay targets?
                >
                > The ones I have seen currently in England are at the top of a 40 some odd
                > tall pole, that would make people freak shooting up in the air like that.
                > Looking for more of a down to earth solution.
                >
                > Thank you
                >
                > Simon Hondy

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Carolus von Eulenhorst
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 5 12:12 AM
                  We have a gentleman here in Caid who proposed making one of drill
                  pipe. The plan was to use 3 lengths of 30 foot pipe to give us a 30 yard
                  high popinjay. As we have nearly 200 yards downrange and clear
                  area (though brushy) beyond and plan on using flu-flus this will work here.
                  Carolus

                  At 02:54 PM 4/4/2005, you wrote:

                  >Any one have ideas or pics of how to make Poppin Jay targets?
                  >
                  >The ones I have seen currently in England are at the top of a 40 some odd
                  >tall pole, that would make people freak shooting up in the air like that.
                  >Looking for more of a down to earth solution.
                  >
                  >Thank you
                  >
                  >Simon Hondy

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >

                  >--
                • Michael Scherrer
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 5 7:14 AM
                    Shooter friendly.
                    Try your sporting goods stores for doves. " Decoys" They have a challenging
                    size and look
                    like a bird.
                    I have several that I have split the backs, filled with expanding foam and
                    than use rubber bands
                    to hold shut till the foam sets. I like to open up the birds to make sure
                    the the foam fills the
                    cavity, and can make sure that the fill "cures".
                    I than painted the birds green. You end up with a light weight, easy to
                    transport,
                    shooter friendly target. With out a great deal of cost involved.

                    Thomas

                    >From: jrosswebb1@...
                    >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Poppin Jay targets
                    >Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 00:42:26 -0400
                    >

                    >Greetings,
                    > There have been a few good suggestions for the poppin jay. If you
                    >get a copy of the British video "Archery-its forms and practices" by
                    >Mike Loades, there is a few shots of a very effective poppin jay target
                    >that looks very much like what was described by a previous poster.
                    > Flu Flus definitely should be used and also rubber bird blunts.
                    >The object is to knock the bird off of its perch. If you actually stick
                    >it into the target, you now have a heavier pointy arrow plummeting to
                    >the ground with the poppinjay bird attached (pointy arrow? danger?). At
                    >the very least, you'll break arrows. We've used and liked the rubber
                    >bird blunts although Baldar blunts will also work just fine.
                    > Traditionally the targets are carved from wood, but if you want a
                    >more "site friendly" substance, I would suggest making them out of the
                    >same high density foam that the modern targets butts are made from. Many
                    >dealers sell the replacement cores for the big foam targets. We use them
                    >for the "Knock-a-Block" stump shoot at our archery club. This way if any
                    >by-standers or archers should be standing under it as it falls to the
                    >ground they will be clocked in the head by a soft foam rather than a
                    >heavy wooden "brick".
                    >Poppinjay is a fun shoot, 20 feet is a good height for SCA shooters.
                    >-Geoffrei

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Hugh Prescott
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 5 7:41 PM
                      WOW

                      Just getting that up in the air is going to be one h%!! of a job.

                      Real safety problems here

                      And its been tried on a lesser scale and it was a miserable failure.

                      Hugh

                      > We have a gentleman here in Caid who proposed making one of drill
                      > pipe. The plan was to use 3 lengths of 30 foot pipe to give us a 30 yard
                      > high popinjay. As we have nearly 200 yards downrange and clear
                      > area (though brushy) beyond and plan on using flu-flus this will work
                      here.
                      > Carolus
                      >
                      > At 02:54 PM 4/4/2005, you wrote:
                      >

                      > >Any one have ideas or pics of how to make Poppin Jay targets?
                      > >
                      > >The ones I have seen currently in England are at the top of a 40 some odd
                      > >tall pole, that would make people freak shooting up in the air like
                      that.
                      > >Looking for more of a down to earth solution.
                      > >
                      > >Thank you
                      > >
                      > >Simon Hondy

                      > >Yahoo! Groups Links
                      > >

                      > >--

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 5 11:25 PM
                        We have already shot at smaller popinjays and never had a problem. With
                        the nature of the range we have available, safety is not a concern. As for
                        setting it up, we have a plan. I'll post a notice if we get the logistics
                        worked out and can set this up at Great Western War..
                        Carolus

                      • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 6 12:05 AM
                          Greetings.
                          I've shot at poppinjay shoots a few times (mundanely) and it's a
                          lot of fun. We've never encountered any real safety issues that were a
                          problem, although our targets were only about 25 feet in the air and we
                          shot them from a line on one side only (our field didn't allow for
                          shooting from all four sides as I've seen in the British video). So long
                          as you are careful and keep aware of the surroundings, no bad issues
                          should arise. Wind can be a hassle, knocking the birds off of the perch
                          before anyone shoots at them, but other than that....have a party! ;-)
                          90 feet in the air? Yikes! I wouldn't want to set that one up.
                          You'll need some heavy duty anchoring to keep that puppy standing. I
                          don't envy the set-up crew. Still......it sounds like fun, I wish I
                          could attend.....good luck with it.
                          -Geoffrei