RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: self nock question

  • Seán Moore
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
      Dear All,

      I use horn inserts on my period shafts and my Standard Arrows. There is a
      horn company in Scotland called Hillend Horn Company, details below, and
      they supply horn inserts, 3 inch by 1 inch and approximately 2mm thick, you
      can get a bag for a few pounds sterling and they go a long way, and cover
      most options for inserts.
      I use 24 hour epoxy because it too penetrates the wood and gives a very
      secure nock.
      The inserts do make the arrows more durable and will take more abuse, they
      also look well when finished off properly.
      If shooting the BLBS Standard Arrow, horn inserts are required.

      Whilst it may be a lot of work, we all spend a lot of time and effort on our
      kit, usually a lot more than we sometimes care to admit, but I will admit
      that it is worth it.

      Se�n the Archer

      ... . .- -. -- --- --- .-. .
      Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

      Details for Hillend:

      The Hillend Horn Company Ltd
      85 Hillend Road,
      Clarkston,
      Glasgow G76 7XT Scotland
      Tel (+44) 141 639 5735
      Fax (+44) 141 616 3522
      Email: hillhornco@...

      Contact: Martin Hyslop
      Martin is one of the leading UK suppliers of buffalo and rams horn, stag
      antler, seasoned shanks and other stickmaking materials, he also has horn
      for making asiatic composite bows.
    • Carl West
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2005
        Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil wrote:
        > A wood insert is probably easier to work with than a horn insert.
        >
        > I use black walnut inserts on all my personal cedar and ash shafts, and will use them on my future poplar shafts :)

        I assume you run the grain of the insert cross-wise to the arrow. Yes?

        -- Fritz

        Carl West
        mailto:carl.west@...
        http://carl.west.home.comcast.net