Re: self nock question

  • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2005
      Subject: self nock question

      In making a self nocked arrow out of an ash shaft, is there any
      advantage in placing a horn or hardwood insert as you would do with a
      cedar shaft?

      Many Thanks: Richard of Westwood

      As has been said, ash is pretty tough but the inserts do add strength and are asthetically pleasing also.

      A wood insert is probably easier to work with than a horn insert.

      I use black walnut inserts on all my personal cedar and ash shafts, and will use them on my future poplar shafts :)

      Godwin
    • Seán Moore
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
        Dear All,

        I use horn inserts on my period shafts and my Standard Arrows. There is a
        horn company in Scotland called Hillend Horn Company, details below, and
        they supply horn inserts, 3 inch by 1 inch and approximately 2mm thick, you
        can get a bag for a few pounds sterling and they go a long way, and cover
        most options for inserts.
        I use 24 hour epoxy because it too penetrates the wood and gives a very
        secure nock.
        The inserts do make the arrows more durable and will take more abuse, they
        also look well when finished off properly.
        If shooting the BLBS Standard Arrow, horn inserts are required.

        Whilst it may be a lot of work, we all spend a lot of time and effort on our
        kit, usually a lot more than we sometimes care to admit, but I will admit
        that it is worth it.

        Se�n the Archer

        ... . .- -. -- --- --- .-. .
        Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

        Details for Hillend:

        The Hillend Horn Company Ltd
        85 Hillend Road,
        Clarkston,
        Glasgow G76 7XT Scotland
        Tel (+44) 141 639 5735
        Fax (+44) 141 616 3522
        Email: hillhornco@...

        Contact: Martin Hyslop
        Martin is one of the leading UK suppliers of buffalo and rams horn, stag
        antler, seasoned shanks and other stickmaking materials, he also has horn
        for making asiatic composite bows.
      • Carl West
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2005
          Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil wrote:
          > A wood insert is probably easier to work with than a horn insert.
          >
          > I use black walnut inserts on all my personal cedar and ash shafts, and will use them on my future poplar shafts :)

          I assume you run the grain of the insert cross-wise to the arrow. Yes?

          -- Fritz

          Carl West
          mailto:carl.west@...
          http://carl.west.home.comcast.net