self nock question

  • buzzardmoon
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2005
      In making a self nocked arrow out of an ash shaft, is there any
      advantage in placing a horn or hardwood insert as you would do with a
      cedar shaft?

      Many Thanks: Richard of Westwood
    • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2005
        Greetings,
        An insert looks real pretty and it will help to strengthen a nock
        (ash may be hard, but it still splits, it just takes a lot more to split
        it).
        I shoot self nocks very often and I haven't used the inserts (way
        too much work), but I wrap the
        area just under the cut nock with a tight whipping of synthetic sinew.
        There is a penetrating epoxy dip that is used in boatbuilding and
        boat maintenance that is available in most marine supply stores. It is
        used to strengthen wood used in frames and knees on boats and it
        essentially turns the wood into a hardened synthetic that is very
        durable. I experimented with it on a couple of dozen arrows and was
        pleased with the result. It comes in a clear, so it doesn't effect the
        look of the arrow and you only need to dip the nock (doing any more
        would undoubtedly affect the flex of the shaft). It's not that
        expensive, you mix the two parts together and it does penetrate the wood
        and hardens. I purchased a kit for under $20.00 and used very little of
        the kit to do the nocks on over two dozen arrows.
        Just another idea in the mix.
        -Geoffrei
      • Mark Hendershott
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2005
          I wrap my self nocked cedar shafts with thread and then paint them with
          water based polyurethane. Only ones I've ever split were in the arrows
          made when I experimented with using a thin kerf tablesaw blade to cut the nock.

          Simon Sinneghe
          Briaroak, Summits, An Tir

          At 10:49 PM 4/2/2005, Geoffrei wrote:

          >Greetings,
          > An insert looks real pretty and it will help to strengthen a nock
          >(ash may be hard, but it still splits, it just takes a lot more to split
          >it).
          > I shoot self nocks very often and I haven't used the inserts (way
          >too much work), but I wrap the
          >area just under the cut nock with a tight whipping of synthetic sinew.
          > There is a penetrating epoxy dip that is used in boatbuilding and
          >boat maintenance that is available in most marine supply stores. It is
          >used to strengthen wood used in frames and knees on boats and it
          >essentially turns the wood into a hardened synthetic that is very
          >durable. I experimented with it on a couple of dozen arrows and was
          >pleased with the result. It comes in a clear, so it doesn't effect the
          >look of the arrow and you only need to dip the nock (doing any more
          >would undoubtedly affect the flex of the shaft). It's not that
          >expensive, you mix the two parts together and it does penetrate the wood
          >and hardens. I purchased a kit for under $20.00 and used very little of
          >the kit to do the nocks on over two dozen arrows.
          >Just another idea in the mix.
          >-Geoffrei

        • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2005
            Subject: self nock question

            In making a self nocked arrow out of an ash shaft, is there any
            advantage in placing a horn or hardwood insert as you would do with a
            cedar shaft?

            Many Thanks: Richard of Westwood

            As has been said, ash is pretty tough but the inserts do add strength and are asthetically pleasing also.

            A wood insert is probably easier to work with than a horn insert.

            I use black walnut inserts on all my personal cedar and ash shafts, and will use them on my future poplar shafts :)

            Godwin
          • Seán Moore
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
              Dear All,

              I use horn inserts on my period shafts and my Standard Arrows. There is a
              horn company in Scotland called Hillend Horn Company, details below, and
              they supply horn inserts, 3 inch by 1 inch and approximately 2mm thick, you
              can get a bag for a few pounds sterling and they go a long way, and cover
              most options for inserts.
              I use 24 hour epoxy because it too penetrates the wood and gives a very
              secure nock.
              The inserts do make the arrows more durable and will take more abuse, they
              also look well when finished off properly.
              If shooting the BLBS Standard Arrow, horn inserts are required.

              Whilst it may be a lot of work, we all spend a lot of time and effort on our
              kit, usually a lot more than we sometimes care to admit, but I will admit
              that it is worth it.

              Se�n the Archer

              ... . .- -. -- --- --- .-. .
              Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

              Details for Hillend:

              The Hillend Horn Company Ltd
              85 Hillend Road,
              Clarkston,
              Glasgow G76 7XT Scotland
              Tel (+44) 141 639 5735
              Fax (+44) 141 616 3522
              Email: hillhornco@...

              Contact: Martin Hyslop
              Martin is one of the leading UK suppliers of buffalo and rams horn, stag
              antler, seasoned shanks and other stickmaking materials, he also has horn
              for making asiatic composite bows.
            • Carl West
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 5, 2005
                Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil wrote:
                > A wood insert is probably easier to work with than a horn insert.
                >
                > I use black walnut inserts on all my personal cedar and ash shafts, and will use them on my future poplar shafts :)

                I assume you run the grain of the insert cross-wise to the arrow. Yes?

                -- Fritz

                Carl West
                mailto:carl.west@...
                http://carl.west.home.comcast.net