Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbow Rear Sights (Open Div)

  • Siegfried
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2005
      Typically it means a 'stick of something' with marks on it. Similar
      to someone using sighting marks on their recurve limbs.

      It usually takes the form of an L shaped piece of metal screwed down
      on your crossbow, with the long part of the l sticking upwards, flat
      towards you.

      Then this is drilled with holes for the different heights, and you
      'peek through' those holes, and line up the point of your bolt and the
      target.

      Sometimes the strip is made with a long open 'hole', and tape or
      string is used to mark the holes so that they can be moved easier.
      (In period one version used a string with the bead on it that you
      could peek through, and the string/bead could be moved up or down)

      You can see examples of the 'long hole' version here:
      http://crossbow.freeshell.org//gallery/graphics/flemsight-large.jpg
      http://crossbow.freeshell.org//gallery/graphics/flemsight-rear-large.jpg