Re: [SCA-Archery] Bowmaking

  • Angus
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30, 2000
      If you want to make a self bow, get hold of the 'Traditional Bowyer's Bible' books, there are three of them.
      They're available from barnes and noble (www.bn.com/), Amazon (www.amazon.com/) as well as Bois D'Arc Press (www.boisdarc.com/ (if my memory serves me).
      Volume 1 is most useful to the 1st time bowyer, the 2nd volume is good if you want to use lumber for bow making. The books also cover glue-, string- and arrow making. Choice of wood won't matter too much, unles1s you really want to make a replica of an English D-sectioned longbow of course, otherwise it seems to be more of a question of designing the bow to fit the material. Of course, this doesn't mean you can make a 120# bow out of willow...

      Just my .18 SEK.

      --- Lewis Jason <SCA-Archery@onelist.com> wrote:
      >Are there any sites out there that explain the process of making a self-bow?
      >Also would hedgewood work for this or is it best to use hickory or Yew? Just
      >a few questions
      >
      >Gwalchmai Saethydd
      >Defender of Cromlech
      >Archer of Calontir

      >Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
      >1. Fill in the brief application
      >2. Receive approval decision within 30 seconds
      >3. Get rates as low as 2.9% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR
      >Apply NOW!

      Get your own mando cool and totally free email@... address at http://freemail.iamawitch.com today!
    • Patrick Tolen
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 30, 2000
        > Lewis Jason <SCA-Archery@onelist.com> wrote:
        >
        > >Are there any sites out there that explain the process of making a self-bow?
        >
        > >Also would hedgewood work for this or is it best to use hickory or Yew? Just
        >
        > >a few questions

        Here's a site if you have a little money to buy one . . .

        http://www.woodbows.com

        --
        L. Patrick of Avebury
        Calafia

        Pat

        Space/Time Art
        http://www.spacetimeart.com
      • Ryynänen Harri
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2000
          how do you treat 'fresh' cowhorns before
          starting to use the material? And how do i get the
          'core' or the inner tissue out of them?

          Haakon Pikinokka
        • Brett Wilson
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2000
            Could someone on this list tell me how to submit scores for the Midrealm
            Winter Challenge?

            Thanks.

            Leif of Crescent Moon
            Calontir archer
          • Chris Nogy
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6, 2000
              The easiest and most complete way to get the horns clean is also one of the
              most disgusting.

              Use maggots - wrap the horn in a breathable cloth with the larvae in the center
              - let it go for a week or two - the soft stuff will be gone.

              Then make a tool - take several (30 or 40) 1 inch pieces of wire fishing
              leader, wrap some tag wire around the middle of the bundle, then ruffle it up
              to make a soft wire 'brush'. Bend a piece of coat hanger about 12 inches long
              2 inches from the end, place the bundle brush in the bend, and then twist the
              coat-hanger up tightly to make a shaft for the brush.

              Put the brush in an electric drill, and work it around the inside of the horn.
              It takes the connective tissue away from the hard shell of the horn.

              Then boil and wash with bottle brush and good detergent.

              This will get your horns very clean.

              Kaz

              > From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ryyn=E4nen_Harri?= <haryynan@...>, on 4/6/00
              8:46 AM:
              > how do you treat 'fresh' cowhorns before
              > starting to use the material? And how do i get the
              > 'core' or the inner tissue out of them?
              >
              > Haakon Pikinokka

              > Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
              > 1. Fill in the brief application
              > Apply NOW!

            • Bruce R. Gordon
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 21, 2000
                Well, it's back for the eighth big year...

                MIDREALM WINTER ARCHERY SHOOT Anno Soc. XXXV

                All archers of the Known World are invited to participate
                in a winter archery competition from November 1, 2000
                through April 30, 2001. The shoot is the same (almost -
                NOTE: THE WAND TARGET HAS BEEN MODIFIED: CAREFULLY LOOK
                OVER THAT SECTION OF THE POSTED RULES) as previous years
                using the basic commercial target of any 5 ring 40 cm
                (16 inches) face. All rounds are shot at 20 yards. Each
                round will consist of two (2) ends. Equipment standards
                are as per SCA legal for your kingdom, or by default, the
                SCA target archery rules. There is no traditional equipment
                bonus or requirement. Participating archers should include
                with the scores sent, this info: SCA name, MKA, their SCA
                group, (and Kingdom, if outside the Midrealm), the type
                of bow (crossbow, longbow, recurve or other), the bow's draw
                weight, and whether or not any sight marks on limbs or
                crossbow rear sights were used. ...Etc.

                For the details:
                http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/wint.html
                or e-mail me directly for an e-mail copy of the current
                (changed) rules.

                The Challenge commences one second after midnight, Nov. 1;
                and I will gleefully start posting scores as soon as I
                can that day.

                Good shooting to all, and I hope to hear from you soon.

                Forester Nigel FitzMaurice, Winter Challenge Coordinator
                (MKA) Bruce R. Gordon
                866 Beardsley, Apt. 1
                Akron, Ohio, 44311-2256

                obsidian@...
                --

                Ex Tenebra, Lux

              • Shurgin,Gary
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 22, 2000
                  Got it Nigel! I'll try to get out and shoot this weekend to warm up. I've
                  been pretty busy, and wind up with a few days of exhaustion.
                  4 Dragon Barbs were awarded at Crown. Nigel--please send me your recs and
                  also again to Duke Edmund and Kateryn, (or a gentle reminder) They have an
                  event in Cleftlands on the 18th, and no awards yet for it!!!! Crown was won
                  by Barlok? and Bree from Illinois, so this is a good bet to get DBs from
                  this area for a long while, because when they step down the next reign will
                  probably focus somewhere else, not the Oaken region. Barbs? Marjory,
                  Sabine, Grania and Vorlin. (Edmund personally spoke with him on the dias
                  during court....) I don't know people to recommend from elsewhere. Send
                  them in anyway, and let me know the names, in case I'm asked about it. Have
                  some of the foresters send it in also. (My reply will always be yes to
                  awards, I've so informed their majesties.) We should be about caught up on
                  the Southern side of Oaken now for the DBs, unless Havenholde has some new
                  candidates.

                  Roewynne

                • Andre Detommaso
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 23, 2000
                    Hi Nigel,

                    looking forward to this shoot as always. Just one
                    suggestion, you may want to clearly specify for the
                    Wand that each of the three strips is to be two inches
                    wide. At least to me, it seemed open to interpretation
                    the way it's written on the web site.

                    Once again, thanks for all the great work you do with
                    this every year!

                    Take care,

                    - Lorenzo

                    http://im.yahoo.com/
                  • Bruce R. Gordon
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 24, 2000
                      Andre Detommaso wrote:

                      > Hi Nigel,
                      >
                      > looking forward to this shoot as always. Just one
                      > suggestion, you may want to clearly specify for the
                      > Wand that each of the three strips is to be two inches
                      > wide. At least to me, it seemed open to interpretation
                      > the way it's written on the web site.
                      >
                      > Once again, thanks for all the great work you do with
                      > this every year!
                      >
                      > Take care,
                      >
                      > - Lorenzo

                      Greetings
                      Yah, it was pointed out to me that that could be ambiguous in
                      interpretation. I clarified the passage a bit, delayed somewhat by ISP
                      problems. It's now published properly, and should be viewable. Let me
                      know if any further ambiguity remains.

                      Forester Nigel

                      --

                      Ex Tenebra, Lux

                    • Bruce R. Gordon
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 30, 2002
                        The Middle Kingdom Winter Challenge, Anno Societas XXXVII

                        Yes folks, it's that time again... As a preliminary note, let me
                        mention that since last season, I have ceased to be the Oaken (Ohio-
                        Kentucky) Regional, in lieu of which I have been made Archer-General of
                        the Midrealm. I don't anticipate that holding that position will
                        prevent me from keeping up with the scores, but it does mean that this
                        shoot becomes a bit more official and high-profile than before.
                        Midrealm shooters may therefore regard this competition as one method
                        by which I will be evaluating potential members of the Champions team.
                        That's a hint... For archers outside the Midrealm (shrug), it's the
                        same shoot as last year, and what office I hold is of no significance
                        to you. Hopefully, you will get the same enjoyment out of the Challenge
                        as you have in the past. As always, comments and suggestions are
                        welcome anytime. And so, on to the rules...

                        All archers of the Known World are invited to participate in a winter
                        archery competition from November 1, 2002 through April 30, 2003. The
                        shoot is the same as previous years using the basic commercial target
                        of any 5 ring 40 cm (16 inches) face. All rounds are shot at 20 yards.
                        Each round will consist of two (2) ends. Equipment standards are as per
                        SCA legal for your kingdom. There is no traditional equipment bonus or
                        requirement. Participating archers should include with the scores sent,
                        this info: SCA name, MKA, their SCA group, (and Kingdom, if outside the
                        Midrealm), the type of bow (crossbow, longbow, recurve or other), the
                        bow's draw weight, and whether or not any sight marks on limbs or
                        crossbow rear sights were used. Please note that last comment! Last
                        year many entries were not listed as being sighted or non-sighted. The
                        scoring breakdown this year is going to take into account whether a
                        weapon used sights or not: if no informationis given, I will assume the
                        weapon in question had sights!

                        The marshal in charge is Bruce R. Gordon (Forester Nigel FitzMaurice),
                        866 Beardsley, Apt. 1, Akron, Ohio 44311; and if you like...a copy to
                        obsidian@... for quick posting on the results page. Results will
                        be posted at: http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/scores.html

                        The Shoot:

                        As it was last year, the shoot is eight ends at 20 yards, and may take
                        place at any event, practice, or get-together where a warranted SCA
                        archery marshal (or your Kingdom's equivalent) is present to score it.

                        Target Round - intended to help maintain accuracy over the winter
                        months. It consists of 2 ends of 6 arrows each untimed at a 40 cm (16
                        inch) 5 ring target with standard 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 scoring.

                        Speed Round - intended to help archers practice speed shooting with
                        accuracy. It consists of 2 ends of unlimited arrows shot in a 30 second
                        time limit for each end. Each archer must shoot at least one arrow each
                        end but may shoot as many as possible in 30 seconds. Scoring of the 40
                        cm 5 ring target is 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Archers who do not manage to shoot
                        off 6 arrows in 30 seconds will gain bonus points for arrows unshot. To
                        determine the number of bonus points, subtract the number of arrows
                        shot from 6 for each end and add that number to the actual score of the
                        arrows that hit the target. IE: you shoot 4 arrows, you get 2 bonus
                        points. If the archer has not managed to hit the target at least once
                        in the entire round of two ends, then no bonus points are added. When
                        scoring, please show real score + bonus points, IE: 12+2

                        Wand Round - intended to help the archer concentrate on minimizing
                        left/right movement. It consists of 2 ends of 6 arrows untimed. Each
                        end is shot at a target wand 3 feet long by 6 inches wide, consisting
                        of a central strip of one color flanked on either side by strips of a
                        differing tint (hint:a standard strip of duct tape is 2 inches wide);
                        each band equal in width (2 inches). Each arrow within or touching the
                        central strip scores five points. Each arrow outside the central area
                        but within or touching either of the two outer bands scores three
                        points.

                        Bull's Eye Round - intended to help the archer focus on the center of a
                        target. It consists of 2 ends of 6 arrows each untimed. Each end is
                        shot at a target consisting of a 4 inch circular bull's eye centered
                        within a 8 1/2 inch outer circle,(standard piece of paper). All arrows
                        within or touching the inner circle score five points each. All arrows
                        outside the center bull's eye but within or touching the outer circle
                        score three points each.

                        --
                        Ex Tenebra, Lux