RE: [SCA-Archery] Looking to apprentice

  • Ragi of House brokenaxe
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
      Actually this is what I have always done. I was started in archery by Rooke and Edward the Grey but
      did most of my learning on my own and with the help of mundane online groups like the leatherwall
      and the trad gang and paleoplanet and of course the Boyers bibles and a lot of other books. Now I am
      the one that local folks come to to learn from and I cant help but think that I have missed so much.

      My medieval research resources are poor and my search skills mostly limited to the internet. I guess
      you can say I am at the end of my ideas as to where to look and for what Mostly I want to do better
      and I want to concentrate on researching and recreating archery from the early dark ages and
      migration era germanic and norse cultures.

      Ragi

      On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:38:36 -0800, you, with reckless abandon, wrote:

      >Ragi. While finding someone to apprentice to is not a bad Idea. I would also
      >look outside the SCA. Sometime there are better craftsman in your area that
      >is not sca. This may sound shocking coming from a laurel but sometime the
      >way to knowledge is thought a different door.
      >Damales Redbeard O.L.
      >

      >Heya
      >
      >I am looking for someone to apprentice to so as to learn further the art of
      >fletching and boyery.
      >many of you know of me and my work but I wish to become more well known and
      >I am sure there is so
      >much I need to learn yet that I am not learning on my own.
      >
      >I am looking for someone to learn from who lives within a reasonable
      >distance from Montreal so that
      >I might come see them once in a while. Dalton would be nice but he Moved to
      >alberta dangit.....
      >
      >Is there someone I might discuss this with on the list who might help me or
      >take me on? Yeah the
      >idea of Master Ragi apeals to me but mostly I know there is more I need to
      >learn and directions I
      >need to head in and would like to do it with some guidance.
      >
      >Email me off list if you wish or onlist if you believe the discussion would
      >benefit others.

    • Dan Scheid
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
        It is always hardest to break in a new trail. Compared to following the
        tracks before you. You have set your feet on a great task. You may also be
        the ground breaker (ether in your area or larger).I have found that the SCA
        seem to have pockets of things.
        If your not in that pocket then you have to travel to it. So you maybe out
        of luck for someone that has done any ground breaking ahead of you being
        close. On the other hand we now have the internet. Where we can exchange
        Ideas from around the world. I hope you can find some help. but you might be
        the one breaking the ground for the rest.
        Damales

        Actually this is what I have always done. I was started in archery by Rooke
        and Edward the Grey but
        did most of my learning on my own and with the help of mundane online groups
        like the leatherwall
        and the trad gang and paleoplanet and of course the Boyers bibles and a lot
        of other books. Now I am
        the one that local folks come to to learn from and I cant help but think
        that I have missed so much.

        My medieval research resources are poor and my search skills mostly limited
        to the internet. I guess
        you can say I am at the end of my ideas as to where to look and for what
        Mostly I want to do better
        and I want to concentrate on researching and recreating archery from the
        early dark ages and
        migration era germanic and norse cultures.

        Ragi

        On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:38:36 -0800, you, with reckless abandon, wrote:

        >Ragi. While finding someone to apprentice to is not a bad Idea. I would
        also
        >look outside the SCA. Sometime there are better craftsman in your area that
        >is not sca. This may sound shocking coming from a laurel but sometime the
        >way to knowledge is thought a different door.
        >Damales Redbeard O.L.
        >

        >Heya
        >
        >I am looking for someone to apprentice to so as to learn further the art of
        >fletching and boyery.
        >many of you know of me and my work but I wish to become more well known and
        >I am sure there is so
        >much I need to learn yet that I am not learning on my own.
        >
        >I am looking for someone to learn from who lives within a reasonable
        >distance from Montreal so that
        >I might come see them once in a while. Dalton would be nice but he Moved to
        >alberta dangit.....
        >
        >Is there someone I might discuss this with on the list who might help me or
        >take me on? Yeah the
        >idea of Master Ragi apeals to me but mostly I know there is more I need to
        >learn and directions I
        >need to head in and would like to do it with some guidance.
        >
        >Email me off list if you wish or onlist if you believe the discussion would
        >benefit others.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Dan Martin
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
          Dan martin blackwaterincorp
          throwing my worthless 2cents worth in
          Im very very new to SCA but Im a master bow maker and archer. I was authorized to carry a bow in the army. There are good archery groups in every state. Avoid the compound shooters find guys gals who are shoot nateral or primitive as we call it down here in the SW.
          I have 34 boys now in my primitive archery club and we are teaching the SCA folks to shoot. Remember stay away from sights learn to shoot instintive and all else falls into place.
          Im in the process of trying to take our SAL group and also make it an SCA group. Books are grate but you have to do time with the bow. My kids do an hour a day minimum and 4hrs once a week and that is for starting but they all want to shoot compitition.
          Again I know little about SCA but I would be more than happy to help you with bow issues as well as arrow. I shoot mostly Ceder with turkey feathers and absidian tips except for compitition dont want that heavy a tip then plus they dont want me ripping their targets apart either

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jessi
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
            Greetings fellow archers and artisans!

            The Barony of Lyondemere will be hosting an arrow making workshop in nine
            parts beginning this Sunday. We will be making arrows from scratch and
            every participant in the full workshop (it will probably take a few months)
            will walk away with a set of 18 arrows for the extremely low price of $55
            ($60 for 4 fletch). And yes, that is 18 arrows, a dozen and a half. This
            is by far cheaper than the cheapest merchant (that I have seen) for nice
            wood arrows.

            We will be starting at 10am Sunday morning at Rancho Park Archery Range in
            West Los Angeles. The first session will go over all parts of the workshop
            in overview and we will start sorting, dividing, sanding and spinning all of
            our arrows to start making sets.

            From there, we will learn how to best match arrows to your bow, application
            of points, nocks, fletches, bare shaft testing, cresting, dying, finishing,
            repair & maintenance and much much more! This is an extensive class in
            which workshop members will be constructing their own set of arrows under
            close guidance and instruction from THL Robert Lanternsmith, THL Fearghus
            McCullough and Leonidas Tzannavaris.

            If you would like to be a part of this workshop, please send an email to
            arrowworkshop-subscribe@....

            If you are having problems subscribing to the list, please email me
            privately and I will add you.

            Hope to see a lot of Caidan archers there on Sunday! Don't forget to change
            your clocks...we "Spring Ahead" this Sunday morning!

            Lady Christina O'Cleary
            Captain of Archers, Barony of Lyondemere